Re: Armor Setup 06/02/2011 09:57 AM CDT
Yes use armor setups that make it easy and convienant for you.. if you want to train cloth and light plate then do. As most paladins do train multiple armors.. mines main is shield, HP, Leather, Heavy Chain and Cloth respectively. Have different setups to make the mood that I may be in. Plus its alot easier to hide and stalk pray wearing cloth and leather.

Infiltrator Walcar Walcars, Phantom of Ilithi

PS: Looking for a set of non stealth hinderence heavy plate. ;)

AKA Ninja Tincan
Armor Setup 08/20/2009 09:14 AM CDT
I'm curious what armor set up some of you guys use? How many armors to you actively train and how do you do it? One multi armor setup or switching setups while training?

I'm currently just using field plate with LP accessories. Was thinking of trying to add HC and LC into the equation. I'm somewhat newb when it comes to paladin so any advice would be appreciated.
Re: Armor Setup 08/20/2009 09:45 AM CDT
Under old exp I used some form of plate on all parts except legs, and then trained all other armors by switching leg armors (greaves, pants).

Under new exp, I use the Adakin method with my own twist. Adakin switches full sets of armor as he switches between hunting grounds.

I switch greaves/chest protection and leave head/hands in place. Basically, I train HP/LP/LC in my main hunting area. While I am letting my main stuff drain, I go to a different hunting area and train HC/bone (with chest armor) and leather/cloth (with leg armor).

By the time I finish a rotation I am training all armors at some level above 10-15. The main issue I have with this system is the stats to actually carry around all the stuff.

WTB shadowling to carry my gear.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Armor Setup 08/20/2009 09:53 AM CDT
I wear HP on body and head. Hands its been bone lately which seems to do well enough. Then I swap between LP, HC, LC, Leather and Cloth on my legs. Legs teach better then hands and are non vital so its the best area to swap armor. Its pretty easy to retreat and swap and keep every armor learning nicely. Granted if you are hunting at the edge of your skills and training cloth you may lose a lot of legs, but with courage up and decent stamina you can oddly keep on hunting with both legs missing (just dont tend them and you wont fall down).
Re: Armor Setup 08/20/2009 10:14 AM CDT
>WTB shadowling to carry my gear.

I think you mean a shadow servant. Shadowlings only carry gear they're stealing.
Re: Armor Setup 08/20/2009 12:49 PM CDT
<<I think you mean a shadow servant. Shadowlings only carry gear they're stealing.

You are correct sir. I would not want to have a shadowling chewing on my foot all the time following me around. Thanks for the correction.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Armor Setup 08/20/2009 04:54 PM CDT
I use HC Helm, gloves, greaves , i switch all other armors and train all armors.
Re: Armor Setup 08/20/2009 05:15 PM CDT
I'm currently backtraining LC, HC & LP. I wear LP helm, LC shirt, HC gloves, and swap out my HC greaves for LP greaves when HC gets closed to locked. Keeps me moving nicely on all 3. Not sure what I'm going to do when I have to throw HP back in the mix!

Yay for being only about 80 ranks left for both my armors and my weapons I'm backtraining.

only pfft

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Armor Setup 08/21/2009 11:01 AM CDT
I wear halfplate, hc gloves, armet helm annd lc greaves.

Divy
Re: Armor Setup 08/21/2009 01:16 PM CDT
<<I wear halfplate, hc gloves, armet helm annd lc greaves>>

So that explains it.

-Mr. Glemm
Armor Setup 05/03/2011 02:25 AM CDT
Currently sitting at 13th circle with the following skills and armor:

Shield: 55
HP: 50
HC: 49
Evasion: 49
Parry: 49

HP head
HP torso
HC greaves

I'm getting good experience from eels still and taking absolutely no hits. As I move up to tougher critters (beisswurms will probably be next for me), will it be beneficial for me to switch to one armor type?

I'm currently very hindered (I still don't have gloves), but I haven't noticed any ill effects on my ability to defend.

"Shohna ba Shohna"
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 03:12 AM CDT
As a Paladin, you usually want to be training at least two armors at any given time.

In a two armor set-up, I like having one type that covers the torso and arms and the other covering head/eyes/neck, hands, and legs.

As you improve in the armors, you'll suffer less from hindrance. And, at 20th, you'll stop suffering a penalty from mixing two armor classes. (At 30th, you can mix three without being penalized.)

Cass
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 11:45 AM CDT
>>Mozeleskir6: As I move up to tougher critters (beisswurms will probably be next for me), will it be beneficial for me to switch to one armor type? I'm currently very hindered (I still don't have gloves), but I haven't noticed any ill effects on my ability to defend.

From a pure protection perspective, a pure HP setup is the best choice, but most Paladins choose to earn extra TDPs by training more than one armor. (The current forging system also requires ranks in multiple armors.)

As long as you are relying primarily on shield, you shouldn't be too adversely affected by mixed armor setups. If you try to evade, the penalty will be much more noticeable.

I generally put my strongest armor on my torso, my medium armor on my head, and my worst armor on my limbs.

Get some armor for your hands. If you get hit where you aren't wearing armor, you're much more likely to be stunned.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 01:42 PM CDT
Once you have enough STR/STA, I recommend you do HP chest and head, LP hands and rotate all armors on your legs.

After a while, you can carry around full sets of armor in your pack and just swap out all body parts. That is what worked best for me YMMV.

Madigan
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 02:02 PM CDT
Do you think with the new TDP model, Paladins will train less armor? Only 3 of our armor skills will count with full TDPs. The rest will be at 1/4 TDP. HP, Shield, and Armor Profiencies should take care of any Paladin.

Dierik-Moon Mage
Geldrad-Paladin
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 02:10 PM CDT
1/4 tdps is still tdps from a primary skillset learning rate. Coupled with fewer mixing penalties, it shouldn't change much.

I think combat 3.0 has a better chance of changing how paladins train than the experience changes.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 02:18 PM CDT
>>1/4 tdps is still tdps from a primary skillset learning rate. Coupled with fewer mixing penalties, it shouldn't change much.

To an extent, your right. However, there is an opportunity cost in time. I'm not going to spend time to train items not in my top X at the expense of the top X, other than for guild reqs. (As a min/maxer)

Armor is a special case however. There is no real opportunity cost. Adding a third, or fourth armor in combat doesn't cost you anything as far as time goes.

So you may see some skills no longer trained. Hopefully though, in conjunction with the skill combine it'll be minimal.

tl;dr: I agree, for Paladins and armor. Not sure about other guilds.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 02:34 PM CDT
I am not going to change anything. I'll still maximize TDP's based on whatever formula they come up with. Since we are armor prime, that means pushing as many bits as I can in into however few armors we are given.

Madigan
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 03:10 PM CDT
>>Armor is a special case however. There is no real opportunity cost. Adding a third, or fourth armor in combat doesn't cost you anything as far as time goes.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. That plus I haven't made any changes to the way I train based on the upcoming releases.

I use half plate, LP head and hands and I swap out 5 sets of leg armor for the rest. It's relatively easy and painless and I'd say they are all moving pretty equally.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 03:30 PM CDT
I still plan to keep training all armors. I'll more likely remove lower weapons from my training regiment.

Magus Adakin of Prime

>cast
Your body already swells with the enhanced strength of a hero.
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 03:42 PM CDT
They key to training 3 or more types of armor at the same time is to carry extra greaves.

My at-level setup is HP half plate, LP helm, HC greaves, and LC gloves. I also carry LP and LC greaves that I can swap in as needed. With this setup, I can keep all four metal armors mind locked.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 03:53 PM CDT
Spot on Isharon. I will say (Adakin can confirm with his experience) that Adakin and I did the greaves swapping thing for a long time. After a while (I would guess Super Celps) it became more convenient and efficient to swap chest and legs to increase the percentage learning going at an acceptable rate.

Kudos to Adakin for showing me how that method is more efficient at higher ranks.

Madigan
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 08:26 PM CDT
I guess there are only going to be 4 armor groups anyway (light armor, chain armor, LP(brigantime, HP). Any Paladin can use 4 different armors in a mix without a mixing armor penalty.

Dierik
Re: Armor Setup 05/03/2011 09:58 PM CDT
Don't confuse convenience with efficiency. That being said, train how you want and in a manner that makes you have fun.

Madigan