Protects 07/10/2009 04:33 PM CDT
Curious if anybody has heard of and used protect fortify before. I've come across it for the first time and knew of none past protect self.

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Protects 07/11/2009 05:22 AM CDT
>protect fortify

Wow, no, this is new. Did you get it from the same sentry in Crossing? What circle? What does it do?

~Thilan
Re: Protects 07/11/2009 03:58 PM CDT
Wait, what?

-Landros
Re: Protects 07/11/2009 05:56 PM CDT
Same sentry. Doesn't show up in the protect options. 100+. Haven't tested it yet.

And then does this:
> protect fortify

Protect what? Type 'PROTECT HELP' for syntax!

While not in combat at least. Will try more later.

Re: Protects 07/11/2009 08:35 PM CDT
I'm confused. Did we get some kind of ability years ago that nobody even knows about?

This guild really blows my mind at times.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Protects 07/11/2009 09:14 PM CDT
I went and picked it up today, but cant figure out how to get it to work.
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 02:05 AM CDT
Heyo!

I did some digging into the Protect Fortify issue. Yes, the sentry does in fact offer this ability. As near as I can tell, however, it does not actually exist. My best guess from a first glance is that it was an unfinished release that found its way live when the justice system was updated. Unfortunately, the individual working on the project are no longer on staff, so it may take me a while to find out what's going on and see what we can do with it.

I will say that it sounds like an awesome ability, so we'll get it, one way or another, even if I have to sneak it into the combat rewrite. Not that I'd do something like that, mind you.

In any case, the sentry teaches the ability, but it does not appear to be live. I'll see if I can find out what's going on with it, but may have to start from scratch.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 06:08 AM CDT
Any info as to what circle the ability is being looked at for? (or is)
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 06:49 AM CDT
> Any info as to what circle the ability is being looked at for? (or is)

The best I can tell you is that the Sentry offers it at 100th. Whether this was intended to be the 100th circle ability or not, I'm not sure, but I suspect it's a good candidate.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 12:23 PM CDT
Cool. Thanks for looking into it.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 02:16 PM CDT
Pretty much awesome. Thanks.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 02:25 PM CDT
Thanks for looking into it and more thanks for making it one day useable. Any chance could you look at the other protects and see if they can be used for ranged/blockable TM as well? I believe we were told that it would be upgraded somewhere downline..not sure if that's still the case.

Re: Protects 07/12/2009 02:35 PM CDT
Ranged is blockable with protect. I covered a friend for testing and let someone fire a fully aimed, dual loaded shot at her. I got hit twice. But I agree, magic that is blockable needs to be protectable as well.
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 03:57 PM CDT
Heyo!

I'll check on the ranged stuff when I have time, but it may be a while since I'm in the middle of...well...rewriting the entire combat system and stuff. On that note, those of you testing in the Test instance may discover that the severe evasion penalty (as in, you lose all of it) for using Protect is now gone. You will take a fairly solid hit to evasion, but nowhere near as severe as losing it all.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Protects 07/12/2009 05:27 PM CDT
>>On that note, those of you testing in the Test instance may discover that the severe evasion penalty (as in, you lose all of it) for using Protect is now gone.

You are talking about the the penalty associated with the 'cover' option, right? I'm not going to complain about the change, but I always thought having 0 evasion made sense when you were trying to block an incoming attack meant for someone else.

That being said, screw the evasion penalty.

-Landros
Re: Protects 07/12/2009 07:36 PM CDT
Appreciate you willing to keep that on your plate. I'd rather have the new combat first too.

Re: Protects 07/12/2009 07:47 PM CDT
I never really noticed a penalty for using protect deflect, or cover (other than the fact that attacks you intercept only contest shield and/or parry), but my testing with cover is kind of limited.
Re: Protects 07/13/2009 01:55 AM CDT
> You are talking about the the penalty associated with the 'cover' option, right? I'm not going to complain about the change, but I always thought having 0 evasion made sense when you were trying to block an incoming attack meant for someone else.

I won't argue that it made sense to some degree, but since your shield skill is heavily dependent on whether or not your evasion skill did anything, it was a pretty bad deal. And to be honest, you are blocking with your shield, not your body!

Ultimately, though, this is more of a playability change. For shield to be effective, evasion must be effective. Even though I intend to change that to a large degree with the rewrite, totally negating evasion made the ability less desirable than it could be.

- GM Dartenian