Gnome Paladins 07/04/2009 10:45 PM CDT
Yes yes, I know it's not the ideal race for paladins, but the fact is that I love gnomes. So, as to my question. With the upcoming changes going on for combat, especially the fatigue changes and Dart claiming that he wants to make lighter weapons just as viable as the 2he, 2hb monsters, what weapons would you guys suggest for a novice gnome paladin? Should I go after the LE/LB setup or try to get light versions of 2he/2hb forged up when I get the coin?

Armors, i'm thinking mainly LC but with HP accessories. What do you think?

The Hog Farmer
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/04/2009 11:19 PM CDT
I have always wanted to try a stealth paladin. So, for your situation, I would go LC, LT/ME/LX, shield.

I would mix in leather and bone but play mainly a stealthy/ranted paladin. Good luck.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/04/2009 11:57 PM CDT
Attacking from hiding hurts soul yea? Might put a damper on any kind of decent stealth training.

Light weapons are viable now.. though youre pretty much stuck with a heavy katar if youre a non-thief and want a good one.
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/05/2009 12:14 AM CDT
Show the evil do-ers Gno-mercy!

(sorry)
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/05/2009 12:21 AM CDT
If paladins could ambush I might give this a try, and also if bone armor wasn't a big pile of crap.

The Hog Farmer
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/05/2009 01:20 AM CDT
Heyo!

I have a Gnome paladin myself, and with the newer encumbrance stuff and access to Ease Burden, I find that a plate-wearing Gnome is perfectly playable. My own approach is to stick with high balance weapons to take advantage of the Gnome's natural advantages in reflex and agility -- medium edge has some good options there. Being a bit of a wierdo, I also focused heavily on Energy Bolt and TM as my main ranged attack. But I never do anything the easy way when it comes to playing, so I'm probably not the best example to follow!

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/05/2009 01:23 AM CDT
>I have a Gnome paladin myself, and with the newer encumbrance stuff and access to Ease Burden, I find that a plate-wearing Gnome is perfectly playable.

I have to say, the encumbrance change was absolutely amazing for gnomes. It really changed everything.
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/05/2009 12:51 PM CDT
<<If paladins could ambush I might give this a try, and also if bone armor wasn't a big pile of crap.

I mention bone only because it will be a TDP producer (along with leather). Ideally, you focus on LC/ranged/hiding. Just giving you my ideas on using a Gnome. Obviously, the paladin guild is set up to tank (to the extent this term is not an oxymoron) so going outside this box is a challenge.

That being said, I think a ranged/stealth/light armor paladin is very feasible. The DA spell offsets the natural problems with light armor. You can train hiding in combat with a paladin and a shield/lx is a very good combo.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/05/2009 08:20 PM CDT
I wonder, is there a certain point where balanced weapons become better for agile characters? My gnome has 9 strength and 15 agility. If I use a sabre with a dodge/feint/draw/thrust/jab combo I get light and good hits with occasionally hard, strong, and rare heavy. If I take that same character and pick up a scimitar, against the same creatures I will get extremely heavy hits and much much more. Does this seem odd to anyone else?

The Hog Farmer
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/05/2009 09:01 PM CDT
I've always thought balance was far more helpful for parrying than for landing hits-not saying it doesnt help, though.

That and puncture weapons are more niche like for thieves or things resistant to slice.

My barb liked a sabre for a long time, until she took too many deaths from lunge.

I'd get a bastie. R/R is hard to beat.. Lighter than the scimi's i typically use as well.
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/06/2009 01:02 AM CDT
>I'd get a bastie. R/R is hard to beat.. Lighter than the scimi's i typically use as well.

Bastard swords are OP. Yeah, I said it.
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/06/2009 01:26 AM CDT
If it was for pure training now I would pick up a claymore and just train 2he as my main weapon. As the combat system stands right now for training purposes it seems silly that anyone train anything but 2he with an armworn shield, but I'm just really hoping that changes. As to basties, I personally think a bastard sword should never be quite as good as a plain HE or a plain 2HE. You should never be able to have your cake and eat it to. You have to sacrifice something imo. Just like the upcoming changes to 2he and shield. You need a penalty to offset the advantages.

The Hog Farmer
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/06/2009 01:34 AM CDT
A claymore really wouldn't be a great choice for a gnome.

>As to basties, I personally think a bastard sword should never be quite as good as a plain HE or a plain 2HE. You should never be able to have your cake and eat it to. You have to sacrifice something imo. Just like the upcoming changes to 2he and shield. You need a penalty to offset the advantages.

Agreed. As to which weapon choice would be best after the rewrite, that's really hard to say. Ideally, a high-agility character would be better of with a lighter weapon but that just isn't true at all with the current system.
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/06/2009 01:51 AM CDT
Yeah, that's my problem. I think i'll just keep training with the sabre for now, and after the rewrite if it looks like all the promises about making every weapon viable go down the drain I'll just switch to a bastard sword I guess.

The Hog Farmer
Re: Gnome Paladins 07/06/2009 02:46 AM CDT
I think basties are OP'd too. Nerf those and keep 2he + shield unhindered.

HE form in basties is very close to the 2he (the same with some)