Strength 05/06/2009 05:05 PM CDT
Hello and Good Day,

I've searched the DR forums and the information on-line is not what it use to be back years ago when I played. I just recently retured after being gone for a number of years and decided to dust off a Paladin I had and have a question on strength.

Lets say I only use MB, ME, and HE as my weapons, once I have the lowest rt's available is there any sense in continuing to train strength besides Encumbrance? Or would the points be better spent on other attributes?

Thanks
Re: Strength 05/06/2009 05:16 PM CDT
While theoretically more strength adds to your weapon's... impact(?) damage, i think with the advent of forged weapons the benefit in that manner pales in comparison in developing other stats. Wait for other people's input, too, though.

I myself trained my thief's strength to 50 and intend to some point bring it up to 60. This is because of the requirements to use heavier weapons with special thief moves, intent to someday swing a 60 stone greatsword at min RT, and also current Forging pounding RT. Also, IIRC the cyclopean gigantic two-handed sword requires 60 strength to pick up nowadays (used to be that anyone can pick it up but with 20+ second RT IIRC?), and dangit, I want to carry that around to brag to people.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Strength 05/06/2009 05:20 PM CDT
<<Also, IIRC the cyclopean gigantic two-handed sword requires 60 strength to pick up nowadays (used to be that anyone can pick it up but with 20+ second RT IIRC?), and dangit, I want to carry that around to brag to people>>

Back in the day there was a strength requirement to pick it up- I'm not sure what it was, but the max roundtime you would get when using it was 18 seconds. It also broke your fatigue from swinging it once.

It did kill a ship rat in one hit, though.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Strength 05/06/2009 05:25 PM CDT
When I first started Humm, I went the route you are describing. I kinda regret it. I went light weight in the set up, but I realized later (after the MB nerf, especially) that these weapons are almost toys in comparison with the HB, 2HB, and 2HE weapons. Also, you'll probably need enough strength to carry all your gear with you to also justify using the heaver weapons. The ones you mentioned may be fast, but the just don't have the raw hitting power that I finally realized I need.

I'd suggest getting someone to forge you lightweight versions of the harder hitting weapons so that you can use them now, and have the skills in place for when you eventually do get your strength up to 40+. Maybe you can also get them better balanced for easier hitting. Later you can get the more damaging suitabilities in your weapons when you can handle the greater weight and lesser balance (meaning having more strength and agility).

Player of Humm Breaux
Prydaen Refugee Freedom Fighter
Re: Strength 05/06/2009 05:31 PM CDT
Also, don't neglect your stamina so you won't get worn out while swinging.

Welcome back!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Strength 05/06/2009 05:34 PM CDT
Hello

Thanks for the input ...

With training the two handed weapons how do you find the shield training? Do you have to wait and let it catch up using one handed weapons later? Once I do have the strength to use the two handed weapons and give up the MB, HE type stuff how do you guys find the back training? Does it go by pretty good? Or do you just start with the heavy stuff and learn to fight with the high rt's and fatigue knowing each time you circle it gets a little better?

Thanks
Re: Strength 05/06/2009 05:50 PM CDT
You can learn both two-handed weapon and Shield by ADJUSTING any shield to become arm-worn instead of shoulder worn.

The size of hte shiedl that can be strapped to your left forearm is based on your Armor skillset placement, but I think Large shields for paladins have to be unlocked at some point cuz IIRC my paladin couldn't do large yet.

Armor secdonary guilds can wear mediums hields on the arm, and tertiary only small.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Strength 05/06/2009 06:46 PM CDT
Disbelief is right: My baby pallies couldn't arm-wear their tower shields at first, but the ability does become available at- I believe 5th circle.

But even they can arm-wear smaller shields so you won't have to neglect that while training the larger weapons.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Strength 05/07/2009 11:42 AM CDT
<<Lets say I only use MB, ME, and HE as my weapons, once I have the lowest rt's available is there any sense in continuing to train strength besides Encumbrance?

STR is an attribute that I train as "first tier" which means that I keep it as high as any other skill presently. My rational:

1. Helps with shield defense, our primary method of defending things.
2. Helps significantly in the forge.
3. Helps with Smite Foe, which is my principal method of fighting certain other guilds.
4. Helps cause more damage when backtraining weapons (which I am focused on right now).

In short, I think a very useful attribute for a paladin.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.