Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 05:19 PM CDT
Can you be more specific? Who is prevented from learning armor? If you blocked the blow entirely before it even can penetrate the protectee's evasion, i think that is to be expected.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 05:22 PM CDT
There are several stages of Protect (Deflect) is the lowest that allows others to learn armor while hunting with a paladin.

A s'sugi malchata attempts to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The shield lands an awesome strike that explodes the chest in a shower of blood and splintered ribs.
A s'sugi malchata crumbles to the ground.
Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 05:24 PM CDT
I am very familiar with PROTECT DEFELCT and you did not answer my question.

Did you outright prevent the blow from reaching the person you're protecting? If you totally stopped the attack, they learn nothing.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 07:08 PM CDT
Deflect will only allow the defendee to learn defenses if some of the attack is let through to them. It doesn't magically allow people who you are defending to learn defenses if they dont actually have to use them (because you completely blocked the attack).

-Landros
Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 07:29 PM CDT
Yeah deflect only allows them to learn if you partially block, and they evade/parry/block or get hit by the rest. You can still take them somewhere over their head, protect, then stance your shield down bit by bit till they are blocking the remainder of the hit and learning.
Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 07:37 PM CDT
Well as I said he had roughly 150 armor 4 dobek moruryn on him which hard cap about 400 and was like that for an hour with little to show for it.

A s'sugi malchata attempts to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The shield lands an awesome strike that explodes the chest in a shower of blood and splintered ribs.
Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 07:42 PM CDT
You're not listening. Did YOU or did YOU not fully block the attacks from Dobeks? His skills are irrelevant.

If YOUR skills are too high that you outright blocked the blows, he will learn NOTHING whehther he has 0 ranks or 400 ranks.

Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 07:46 PM CDT
No and yes it was assisted.

Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 08:03 PM CDT
You hunt malchata, you are in dobeks, you are likely blocking 100% of every incoming attack against the person you are defending. There is no attack for them to defend against, and as a result, they learn nothing.

-Landros
Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 08:05 PM CDT
Well all I can say is the poison and cuts he had came from somewhere and not me.

Re: protect deflect 04/14/2009 08:19 PM CDT
Unfortunately poison and wounds dont directly correlate to how good the training is. A circle 1 trader could walk into dobeks, come out with 10 doses of critical poison and no limbs, and not be learning anything. And this is how its supposed to be.

That aside, the purpose of protect deflect isn't really to allow a Paladin to bring anybody into any hunting ground and allow them to train there, nor is that how it has ever really worked.

-Landros