Fighting Undead 04/12/2009 08:59 PM CDT
With the upcoming war, and the supposed ability for every level character to be able to fight in it, I'm curious what my Paladin would be able to do versus undead. I'm still fairly young, 8th circle, but have heard that our fists can occasionally act as blessed weapons. How does that work? Aside from Holy Weapons and blessed fists, do we have any other advantages over other guilds when fighting undead?

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Fighting Undead 04/12/2009 09:26 PM CDT
I know that Energy Bolt cast by paladins does harm the undead because it uses holy mana to power it. That is something useful.
Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 12:04 AM CDT
>>I'm curious what my Paladin would be able to do versus undead.

Natural brawling weapons (fists/feet) act as blessed if your soul state is good enough, the 'smite' attack acts as a blessed attack, I believe SF/SMH are more powerful against undead/evil, and Holy Weapon (from what I've read) is good against the undead/evil stuff.

-Landros
Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 01:11 AM CDT
First off, thanks for the answers. I'll kill a bunch with EB and smite. Smite has the same balance modifiers as slice, correct? Also, I'm no where close, but when do we get the Holy Weapon quest? 30th? The Glyph to charge it is 50th according to Olwydd's.

>Natural brawling weapons (fists/feet) act as blessed if your soul state is good enough

Can you be a little more specific on this? Or, can you tell me the order of the messaging from highest to lowest? I'm hunting tortured souls to get a soulstone, but when I walk through the arch in Crossing I get the prestine luminescense messaging. I know these are a range, but I find it extremely frustrating that anybody would put a benefit in the middle of a range so that you can't tell if you'll get a benefit from the IG ways of knowing your pool.

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 08:24 AM CDT
Holy Weapon is available at 50th circle. Blessed brawling should activate anytime you land a brawling attack on a cursed/undead creature with pristine soul.
Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 09:17 AM CDT
>Blessed brawling should activate anytime you land a brawling attack on a cursed/undead creature with pristine soul.

I'll have to double check my soul. Is there a place in Riverhaven? I checked it shortly before leaving Crossing to hunt Tortured Souls for a soulstone. When I got there, I was unable to hit them with brawling. Does killing undead help our soul as well?

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 10:00 AM CDT
>>When I got there, I was unable to hit them with brawling.

Was it a matter of landing a hit or were your attacks passing through them? You need pristine soul for it to work as a blessed attack, but it works for any brawling attack.

>>Does killing undead help our soul as well?

Yes, although you must use a weapon you learn from. Details are in a post from Ssra in the GM Announcement folder in this category. And thanks to your prompting I finally got around to adding my soul notes to Elanthipedia: http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Soul_System

~Thilan
Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 11:06 AM CDT
>Was it a matter of landing a hit or were your attacks passing through them?

Passing through them. I'm guessing my soul drifted back down to below pristine while I traveled to Riverhaven, because it was pristine when I left Crossing. Is there a tithe box in Riverhaven, and is there a way to check my soul without a soulstone in Riverhaven like the arch in Crossing?

>I finally got around to adding my soul notes to Elanthipedia

Sweet. Thanks. I'll read up on it there when I have a little more time.

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 11:35 AM CDT
I don't think I've ever had my soul drift down below pristine without doing something that gave a soul hit. Might drift down from top pristine to bottom pristine, but I've never had it just drop from pristine. Are you... fleeing? Hiding and advancing? Hiding and retreating? Killing majestic inkhornes? Tourneying? Goofing around with a buddy and hitting him without a challenge active and/or him hitting you first? Stealing? Learning stealing ranks in a way that is not stealing? Being arrested and found guilty of a crime? Murdering people? Killing people who attacked you first in self-defense? Eating babies? Accidentally bumping into someone while walking down the street? Getting up from the dinner table without asking to be excused first? Hmmm... probably forgetting a few, but any and all of those will give you problems.
Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 12:20 PM CDT
<<I'm guessing my soul drifted back down to below pristine

Doesn't drift below pristine to my knowledge.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 01:17 PM CDT
>Doesn't drift below pristine to my knowledge.

I don't really know then. I didn't do anything that should have hurt my soul state after checking it in Crossing. Is there a place in Riverhaven to check it or will I have to travel to Theren/Crossing?

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 01:18 PM CDT
Sorry, I don't know. What is the name of your paladin and I will have a mage send a soulstone to you. I have a ton of them.

Madigan

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 01:20 PM CDT
>What is the name of your paladin and I will have a mage send a soulstone to you.

Winra. What's a good time for you to have one sent? I can get on right now for about 40 minutes, but it'd have to wait until later tonight otherwise.

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 03:29 PM CDT
>>Doesn't drift below pristine to my knowledge.

I thought I remember a Ssra post saying that Soul State drifted to neutral from either direction. Anyone remember that?

-Landros
Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 03:41 PM CDT
<<Anyone remember that?

It still drifts as I recall, but only if you are between pristine and dark. I will pull up the post.

Madigan

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 03:42 PM CDT
I am on 9 pm cst to midnight, so much later this evening.

Madigan

Re: Fighting Undead 04/13/2009 04:26 PM CDT
>I am on 9 pm cst to midnight, so much later this evening.

I probably won't be able to get on for long periods of time this evening. I'll try to get on around 9 CST. Thanks for your help.