Pike or Halberds 03/10/2009 02:45 PM CDT
Which do you think will serve a paladin better, a Pike or a Halberd? as a main weapon, probably not, but I would like to become good at jousting.

Thanks
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/10/2009 02:48 PM CDT
Pikes do make more sense as jousting weapons (pointy vs. slicey, and IIRC at one point they took out jousting halberds but a lot of people complained so they put them back in), but halberd is a million times easier to train than pikes. The pike combos that work are just brutal.

~Thilan
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/10/2009 02:54 PM CDT
thanks
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/10/2009 03:56 PM CDT
I've been told by many folks that halberd is nasty (in a good way). I don't train it, so I can't speak from experience.
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/11/2009 10:18 AM CDT
As per tests done by JMF90 halberd is a much better weapon for combat. As it relates to how you joust, that I don't know. But since you'll be training it via combat, figured I'd say this again.

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/11/2009 11:53 AM CDT
I just found fighting with a pike really irritating while loving my halbard. Halbard is my lowest weapon, but I keep training it just because when it works it just does amazing damage. Oh and there are awesome storebought halbards- the Khuj and the Lochaber Axe. For pure damage infliction, only my claymore seems to do more. If I was to start a new character I would seriously consider making it Halbard primary

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/12/2009 01:14 AM CDT
With a balance positive combo that is almost entirely focused upon inflicting puncture based damage, and the ability to forge a pike with severe puncture, the pike skill has potentials for offensive attacks that will more easily triumph over an opponents defense then halberd.

Both pike weapons and halberd weapons seem to fall into the same range of balance ratings, meaning it takes roughly the same skill range to start making effective attacks.

Halberd seems better suited overall for combat senarios where you will need to defend yourself. (creatures that don't stun for example)

most important is what your last manouver was when it comes to defense though, and halberd combos are less exposing.

I like both, Pike for charging from pole range, halberd for fighting groups.
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/12/2009 09:11 AM CDT
The recent study of JMF shows the clear winner is halberd, by a big amount. My personal experience is that halberd is much better than pike, but this was at 100+/- ranks when I was trying to figure out which one to use. I ended up with halberd and I like that decision a ton.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/12/2009 11:14 AM CDT
In fairness, I had relatively low strength at the time and no access to forged pikes. However, I do think halberd is a better choice overall.
Re: Pike or Halberds 03/16/2009 03:27 PM CDT
The halberd combos seem more friendly than the pike combos, as well.