What weapons to use 03/07/2009 03:53 PM CST
So i've just returned from a little break from dr and have finally (almost) finished backtraining a handful of weapons i had been working on. I was wondering what ya'll might suggest for me to keep/get rid of. Currently I use HE/2HE/HX/HT/Halb/Brawl/2hb/ME I would like to narrow that down. Currently i am thinking 2HE cuz it rocks, HX cuz it hits like a ton of bricks, HT cuz its fast, Brawling cuz everyone needs it(or so i hear), and Halberd for jousting. Any suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated.
Re: What weapons to use 03/07/2009 03:56 PM CST
Considering your reasons, I can't really see anything you'll want to drop. Besides, while few people actually need brawling, nowadays it's quite easy to train alongside main weapons- and if nothing else, will give you one you can use if you lose a blade, for instance.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: What weapons to use 03/07/2009 04:02 PM CST
so with my reasoning, you agree that i should drop HE/2HB/ME?
Re: What weapons to use 03/07/2009 04:09 PM CST
That's exactly what I'd drop out of that list

-Landros
Re: What weapons to use 03/07/2009 07:08 PM CST
alright, as a sidenote, do you think there is a chance they will every keep us from using twohanded weapons with an armworn shield? Or do you think it will remain the same for drternity?
Re: What weapons to use 03/07/2009 07:25 PM CST
I personally enjoy 2hb more than 2he, but that's me.

I would count on being able to use an armworn shield with a 2-handed weapon until the day the servers shut down.
Re: What weapons to use 03/07/2009 07:38 PM CST
Brawling has this very big annoyance where if you train it too much it messes up your ability to backtrain. The essence of that idea is that critters will see your brawling skill is above their combat range and run away even when you are holding a weapon that hasn't even hit that combat range yet.

It's helpful as a fallback when your weapon is destroyed or knocked out of your hand, but otherwise nobody really ever needs it.

>>alright, as a sidenote, do you think there is a chance they will every keep us from using twohanded weapons with an armworn shield? Or do you think it will remain the same for drternity?

Never believe a never-gonna-happen from the GMs if the idea itself is not obviously outlandish: given enough time, it will always reverse itself and you'll end up getting repositioned for making the choice to avoid it as an unnecessary consideration (see: TM).

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: What weapons to use 03/08/2009 03:49 AM CDT
>>(see: TM)

-Landros
Re: What weapons to use 03/09/2009 12:08 AM CDT
I second keeping 2hb going... It's ability to knock things off balance provides such a strong offensive advantage... i rarely have to worry about getting hit when using it despite the fact that the balance positive combos utilized with it leave you more vulnerable defensively.

A good edge, a good blunt, and a good puncture (like thrown spears) round out your offense well and you can use your best suited weapon for the type of creature's defense you are up against.
Re: What weapons to use 03/09/2009 11:12 PM CDT
hmmm, well i think i will pick back up the 2hb and give it another whirl, i did enjoy it, and i think i might just drop brawling, i mean if i really can't get ahold of a weapon i can just find a log, right?
Re: What weapons to use 03/09/2009 11:17 PM CDT
Really, how often are you going to be without a weapon and need to fall back on brawling?
Re: What weapons to use 03/09/2009 11:41 PM CDT
>>Really, how often are you going to be without a weapon and need to fall back on brawling?

How about undead invading (or just hunting them) when you can't find a cleric to bless a weapon for you? Besides, it's practically free to train. I stopped actively training brawling some 30+ ranks ago (with brawling and heavy thrown roughly equal). I'm currently backtraining HT to be my primary weapon. Using nothing but >bob >throw left >get axe, my brawling has not only kept pace with my heavy thrown and offhand, but is ever-so-slightly outpacing them. If that doesn't work for you, just bob repeatedly while locking armor and defenses before working weapons. I guess it may slow down later, but even if you don't keep it up with your primary weapon, it makes no sense to not train it at all.
Re: What weapons to use 03/10/2009 03:19 AM CDT
>>How about undead invading (or just hunting them) when you can't find a cleric to bless a weapon for you?

I agree with this 100%, down in Shard lots of evil/undead/non-corporeal stuff has been invading, and being able to brawl death spirits when my weapon wasn't blessed has made things a lot less annoying.

-Landros
Re: What weapons to use 03/10/2009 09:38 AM CDT
Train brawling for the TDPs because it is easy.

With regard to your overall question:

1. One Edged.
2. One Ranged.
3. One Blunt.
4. Brawling.

The above is the general rule IMO. Currently, I train:

1. 2HE (Main)
2. HE
3. Brawling
4. HT
5. LX
6. Halberd
7. MB

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: What weapons to use 03/10/2009 09:47 AM CDT
>>What Madigan said..

Currently, I train:

1. HE (Main)
2. Brawling
3. HT
4. 2HE
5. ME
6. Pikes
7. MB

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: What weapons to use 03/10/2009 10:15 AM CDT
To add to Madigan's advice, I suggest training one of each damage type (puncture/slice/impact) and one of each range (melee/pole/missile). I also suggest at least one non-two-handed weapon to be able to hold a shield and get above the capped armworn protection. I do the below in order:

1. HX (missile & puncture)
2. 2HE (pole & slice)
3. HB (melee & impact)
4. HT (missile & any damage type depending on weapon)
5. Brawling

Brawling is very easy to train -- just replace all your dodges/parrys in your weapon combos with bob or circle, and bob & weave constantly while you're sitting there locking defenses. Like others have said, it's handy for fighting undead without needing a Bless. It also combines well with HP armor; just get yourself a pair of footwraps and you'll be all set.

~Thilan
Re: What weapons to use 03/10/2009 11:28 AM CDT
>>Like others have said, it's handy for fighting undead without needing a Bless.

Do the addition of footwraps, or any other brawling accessories, require a Bless when fightning the undead, or is it all just considered "brawling" and just works?
Re: What weapons to use 03/10/2009 11:50 AM CDT
It works no matter what brawling gear you're wearing.

~Thilan
Re: What weapons to use 03/10/2009 01:24 PM CDT
I should have also said that the only reason I train HT is because it is so easy to train as well. I put it up there with brawling as "why not?"

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.