Weapons 12/21/2008 02:15 PM CST
Among other things, going to use a crossbow and possibly a thrown.

Since it is Elothean, I have had trouble determining whether to go with Light or Heavy for both types, especially the crossbow.

Suggestions?
Re: Weapons 12/21/2008 05:34 PM CST
I like heavy crossbow personally.

-Landros
Re: Weapons 12/21/2008 05:50 PM CST
Heavy crossbows are nice, but as an Elothean he'll never (it'll be hard) get the roundtime reductions without sacrificing other stats.
Re: Weapons 12/21/2008 06:02 PM CST
Eh, i'd argue that the importance of getting roundtime reductions is minimal. Realistically, just do what you find more interesting/enjoy more.

Granted if you only care about the min-maxing aspect of it, then maybe getting the LX with that lower RT might fit better.

I use DSX(heavy crossbow), as an Elothean, for no other reason than because I think it looks cool.

-Landros
Re: Weapons 12/21/2008 06:17 PM CST
He was asking for suggestions last I looked...

Meaning pros and cons.

You've already decided...more power to you.
Re: Weapons 12/21/2008 07:39 PM CST
Yea he was looking for suggestions, whats your point?

-Landros
Re: Weapons 12/21/2008 07:47 PM CST
Meaning if he was going for "it looked cool" he'd already decided on what looked cool, and more than likely wanted a few more details.
Re: Weapons 12/21/2008 07:55 PM CST
Also with the heavy crossbow, its a little heavier and if you are gonna be carrying lots of armor and shields (as a paladin), its just some extra weight.

Hits harder, but heavier and slower.

Reduced roundtime light crossbow sold in a regular shop also makes light attractive, from a purely mech. standpoint.
Re: Weapons 12/23/2008 07:04 AM CST
If you're only going to train 1 ranged weapon, I'd probably go LX. I use HX, but I've got a repeater and I couple it with a shorty for speed killing. If you plan to use a thrown, as a paladin I think HT is a better option, even considering all the extra stamina you'll need. I know your spells are changing but bond weapon works pretty well with lodging thrown from what I've heard.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Weapons 12/23/2008 08:18 AM CST
I love my HX + large armworn shield. However you could go with an LX and hold the shield to get the protection above the armworn cap -- I hold my shield when using HB & HT, so wearing it while using my HX is no biggie (and arbalests can be used one handed). I plan on focusing on strength (for SvS and it being a factor in shield, plus I want the Champion title) more than agility, so I'll get the HX RT reductions sooner, but if you're an Eloth then you might want to focus on agility over strength and therefore LX would be a better fit.

However what it comes down to is how you see your character and what's the most fun.

~Thilan
Re: Weapons 12/23/2008 09:36 AM CST
>>I know your spells are changing but bond weapon works pretty well with lodging thrown from what I've heard.

I believe I tested this awhile ago and from what I remember, lodging weapons do NOT dislodge if you are using bond weapon.

I think the only real benefit you get when using throw weapons is that you don't have to type 'get hammer' after every through... depending on your RT.

-Landros
Re: Weapons 12/23/2008 09:44 AM CST
I use LX and HT. HT because you can lock it fast. LX because it gets past a shield easier.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Weapons 12/23/2008 09:51 AM CST
>>LX because it gets past a shield easier.

In my experience whenever you hunt something or spar someone using a shield, HT is pretty sub-par. If HT isn't on your list of secondary weapon candidates, I'd keep it that way.

-Landros
Re: Weapons 12/23/2008 02:53 PM CST
<<<I believe I tested this awhile ago and from what I remember, lodging weapons do NOT dislodge if you are using bond weapon.

Try that again. Lodged thrown weapons, such as the lance I use, definately return to your hand if BW is on it.

Player of Humm Breaux
Re: Weapons 12/23/2008 07:24 PM CST
Not only do they dislodge, you can hand a weapon off, and it comes back. You can drop a weapon, then leave the room, it comes back. You can have your arm chopped off, and you won't drop your weapon. (Just for fun, the other day, I cast BW on my shield and axe, then had both arms and legs cut off, then challenged someone to a spar. Having no arm does make it harder to hit someone, but it's still pretty cool that you can swing it.) It is still possible to lose a bonded weapon. I threw one once while a ranger had his little cyclone vaccum thing going, and it got sucked up.
Re: Weapons 12/24/2008 08:34 PM CST
huh, cool

-Landros