Stance Question 12/01/2008 12:39 AM CST
Howdy all. Got a question about stance. Normally, I'm attacking 100%, evasion 10%, and swap between shield 100% parry 72% or parry 100% and shield 72%. My reflex and agility are 19. My question is, if I'm trying to survive, is this a good stance? I know about cutting back on attack stance to get more defense, but I'm curious about my evasion. Parry and shield are quite a bit higher for me (about 20 - 30 ranks) and always figured that I'd survive better that way. But, I know evasion is checked first. Should I sacrifice some defensive points from shield/parry and pump evasion a bit more? I'm asking now, cause my hindrance is finally getting down into what I'd think are reasonable levels to start dodging stuff, currently sitting at insignificantly hindered in my current hunting armor set. Sorry if this is rambling, it's late and I'm tired :) What's the advice though, change evasion, or stick with what's kept me goin so far?
Re: Stance Question 12/01/2008 05:50 AM CST
Definitely change to more evasion because like you said it gets checked first. What I do is set attack and evasion to 100% and then put the rest of my stance points into shield or parry (one or the other). If I end up dodging too much, I will remove a few points in evasion and put them into the shield/parry until I start blocking/parrying. When I lock the shield/parry defense, I then switch to the other. you get the most bang for your buck this way.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Stance Question 12/06/2008 07:57 PM CST
My typical stance is Attack 100, Evasion 100, Parry 1, shield 80+ (whatever is left over). Splitting points between shield and parry is generally less effective than going with all evasion/shield or evasion/parry, and shield is generally better for a paladin than parry since its primary, can block ranged, and stop non DFA Targetted Magic. Really, if Parry wasn't a requirement (I still say it makes no sense, given the current state of affairs, and should be changed to Parry OR Shield) I wouldn't train it at all; as it is, I mostly just get a buddy and teach parry while hunting.

Definitely, though, put more into evasion. Evasion is the king of defense, what with so many attacks out there that ignore everything else, but with it being tert, we have to work extra hard at it. Now that you are down in the insignificant/unhindered range, it will move a lot faster than it did in the early circles.

Other people can prrobably offer a lot more/better advice, since I'm nowhere near being able to call myself high level or anything, but that's the way things have worked for me so far.