Sparring technique 09/17/2008 12:29 PM CDT
For all those paladins out there who enjoy themselves some PvP, I got a few questions.

Assuming SF isn't available...

How would you approach a spar against a moonie who is using shear, or a thief thats using sane?

I find myself relying on Halt alot during spars, even if its just to facilitate the walk from missile to melee range(currently in the process of back-training HX). When you are sparring a shear using moonie, getting a halt off can be difficult, and the same goes with a thief using sane.

Also on a side-note, I seem to remember being able to trace some ward on people and inhibiting their ability to use targeted attacks(and maybe even aiming?). Am I imagining things? If not, whats the syntax for that?

-Landros
Re: Sparring technique 09/17/2008 12:45 PM CDT
<<I seem to remember being able to trace some ward on people and inhibiting their ability to use targeted attacks>>
When they aim at you... trace ward <person> it will message "Their attention wavers from you" upon success.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Sparring technique 09/17/2008 01:09 PM CDT
Pretty much useless since they must be in the open when they aim or target you.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Sparring technique 09/17/2008 10:10 PM CDT
<<I find myself relying on Halt alot during spars, even if its just to facilitate the walk from missile to melee range(currently in the process of back-training HX). When you are sparring a shear using moonie, getting a halt off can be difficult, and the same goes with a thief using sane.

For the thief, WATCH and GoL then wait for them to show themselves or you can point (or some green powder) and get to melee.

For the moon mage, I carry sigils and purple powder. Otherwise just advance and charge as soon as you can. Most moon mages aren't going to dodge/block you. I also have a macro to trace a ward on them as soon as they show themselves.

Beyond that train a ranged weapon or train TM. Ideally with a combat change we can actually survive a first attack and counterpunch.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Sparring technique 09/18/2008 07:54 AM CDT
Ranged weapons are your friend. With a CV rune and GoL and WATCH it shouldn't be hard to find a thief at your level. It's not until you start crossing the 600 rank threshold that it basically becomes impossible to find someone unless you're one of the lucky ones to have 55+ stone juggling items.

- Galren

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
Hes haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force
Re: Sparring technique 09/18/2008 11:07 AM CDT
Yea for me at this point, not having a ranged weapon at-level sucks, but I have nobody to blame for that besides myself.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Also, Madigan, you said you carried sigils around with you. Sounds moon-mage'ish, what do they do?

-Landros
Re: Sparring technique 09/18/2008 12:59 PM CDT
They blow up all moonbeams, Refractive Field, Tezirah's Veil, Shadows, and Shadewatch Mirror. Since most moon mages love being RF if they come after you, a timely sigil tends to give you an advantage.

To activate, just hold and drop.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Sparring technique 09/18/2008 01:13 PM CDT
Note - that's what a master unbend sigil can do. You can build much more selective ones.

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: Sparring technique 09/18/2008 02:22 PM CDT
Master Unbends - never leave home without 'em.

- Galren

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
Hes haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force