Paladin Armor set up 09/02/2008 07:48 AM CDT
Hail all,
I just rolled up a paladin I thought I'd ask here first about what's the best armor set-up combo? And also what store bought is the best for starting.

Thanks for any help.

Kerrigor
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/02/2008 09:39 AM CDT
Best single-armor setup? Forged body armor, forged gauntlets, and forged helm.

But as far as stuff you can buy from a store...

Most folks start with the massive heavy plate sold in dirge, plus the head/hand accessories sold around the xing.

Now is a good a time as any to start training multiple armors so if you pick something up that isn't heavy plate that covers your head/hands, keep it and use it, would be my suggestion.

As far as doing an armor setup used for training a lot of different armors, I'd have to direct you to one of the many all-armor fanatics we have in the guild for that one.

-Landros
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/02/2008 10:20 AM CDT
My current set up to train 4 armors (LC, HC, LP, HP, with the focus being LP and HP).

~some etched steel greaves (HP) from Haven
~some etched steel gauntlets (HP) from Haven
~some supple ring mail vambraces (LC) from Haven
~a well-wrought breastplate (LP) from Dirge
~a visored chain helm (HC) from Haven

A set up someone requested over in Plat to train all armors with bone as the chest protection...

~Etched Steel Gauntlets (HP) from Haven
~Supple Ring Mail Vambraces (LC) from Haven
~a scarlet canvas-backed bone breastplate from the Ratha Paladin shop
~a pair of black quilted pants with a wide leather belt from the Ratha Paladin shop
~a combed Morion (LP) from Stone Clan
~a banded aventail (HC) from Dirge
~a tanned leather eye-mask

I'm hoping to do the following once all the pieces are actually in game.

~some etched steel greaves (HP) from Haven
~a well-wrought breastplate (LP) from Dirge
~a set of Chain Handguards with Mother-of-pearl Trim (LC) from Theren
~Serpentine Chain Vambraces (HC) from Haven
~a tanned leather eye-mask
~a bone aventail (doesn't exist that I know of)
~a cloth cap (only covering the head, also doesn't exist that I know of)

Of course, being in Plat, we don't have access to much forged gear, so in Prime you might try something totally different.

Probably not the best protecting multi-armor set ups.

~Dagonae Medynskyj
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/02/2008 11:56 AM CDT
Personally, I go with the full forged HP set-up, and rotate greaves between LP, HC, LC, bone, leather and cloth. Every time I gain a rank in one, I switch to the next, keep em all nice and even.
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/02/2008 12:27 PM CDT
Personally, I am lazy so HP suit of armor, LP gauntlets and Helm.
I was using LC greaves but got tired of my shins getting beat on. :)

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/02/2008 01:31 PM CDT
<<Personally, I go with the full forged HP set-up, and rotate greaves between LP, HC, LC, bone, leather and cloth. Every time I gain a rank in one, I switch to the next, keep em all nice and even.

The above is the most efficient setup I have used. I still use it.

Heavy plate - HP
Great Helm - HP
Gauntlets - LP
Greaves - Rotate all armors.

When you start out, just keep one extra set in your pack. As you get more sta/str put more in your pack and start rotating as many as possible. The only reason you are doing this is for TDPs since shield will be your primary armor (or should be if you haven't figured that out yet).

Good luck.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/02/2008 01:38 PM CDT
My Armor setup

Training:
HP help
HP Gauntlets
HC or LC full chain shirt
LP greaves
shield

Invasion or Tournies
HP Helm
HP Gauntlets
LC Hauberk
shield

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/03/2008 07:56 AM CDT
Thanks everyone for the info and help. Really looking forward on being part of the paladin guild. From what I've read so far theres no wrong combo, since shield is the main armor. HP is a must in the combo. I was looking at the HP matte black armor in the xing paladin shop. Anyone know if its any good or just for looks?
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/03/2008 08:38 AM CDT
Everything is just for looks (concerning HP) until you get a forged set of armor. That being said, the matte black armor is about as good as you can buy. You should check the weight (I do not know) before you buy it, as you can probably get the same protection much lighter potentially.

Until you get some STA/STR, weight will be your biggest issue.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Paladin Armor set up 09/03/2008 08:39 AM CDT
I don't necessarily recommend my previous combination for learning... it worked great at the start but not so much down the line. Switching over to LP helm and gauntlets, half plate, and swapping out greaves as someone else suggested to see if I learn better that way.

When my weapon skills nearly caught up to one of my armors I realized I wasn't training very efficiently...

Ratman & Tincan