Re:Shield Bash 08/07/2008 01:54 PM CDT
if I'm throwing my shield I use slam... It's in my hand anyways.

Try Slam left... Had some mixed results... felt like it slammed even harder that way
Re:Shield Bash 08/07/2008 05:57 PM CDT
shield bash is awesome. period. Would love to move maneuvers like this.
Re:Shield Bash 08/07/2008 10:54 PM CDT
I like the enthusiasm, but what exactly is it about shield bash that you find awesome, outside of the intrinsic novelty factor.

-Landros
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 12:46 AM CDT
I think novelty is about it to be honest, I guess if you are RP'ing, its probably fun.
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 02:05 AM CDT
Novelty?

< Moving as one fluid extension of power, you slam a steel tower shield at a storm bull. A storm bull badly fails to block with its long pearly horn. The shield lands an apocalyptic strike (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that explodes the right eye with a direct hit.

I don't get it.

-Ssra

"They say freak ..."
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 05:57 AM CDT
I can hit tougher critters with bash (100 more shield the weapon,) helps with swarms, fun in PvP
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 10:12 AM CDT
To answer your question Ssra, and like I said in my previous post, I never have the need to hit something with a shield. I can train shield just fine just by letting critters hit me, and I can kill things just fine by using my sword. With that in mind, why use shield bash. I used it a bit when it first came out, but it never struck me as anything special.

You posted a line with a storm bull, and against a critter that doesn't have shield/parry I suppose 'slam' can be as useful as another attack that you might do, but again, there is still the issue of 'why bother'.

Not trying to be negative, or criticize the ability itself, just trying to explain why I don't think it is a particularly useful.

-Landros
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 10:20 AM CDT
n00bish question: so what is shield bash skill based on? shield or brawling? which one does it teach? there's a SLAM LEFT? any other variations on shield bash?

if shield bash 'to hit' and damage is based on shield skill, i can definitely see the advantage of using it.

Sir Daniel

"If I expand my mental map, it might not fit in my mental glove compartment."
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 10:50 AM CDT
<<Not trying to be negative, or criticize the ability itself, just trying to explain why I don't think it is a particularly useful.>>

<nod>

Thanks.

-Ssra
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 10:59 AM CDT
Sorry yea, my opinion is the same as Landros's, no disrespect intended.

>< You slam a beaten-bronze Dwarven shield at an elder desert armadillo. An elder desert armadillo partially blocks with its plated hide.
The shield lands a good strike that blasts hard into the left arm and causes purple welts to appear almost immediately.
[You're invigorated, nimbly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

neat.
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 11:02 AM CDT
Isn't the value in being able to use something you should have more ranks in then your weapon, as a weapon?
I am going to see if I can beat on a marauder with my shield later, since I cannot hit it with any of my melee weapons.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 11:04 AM CDT
The thing is the weapon is already in your hand, with slam, i have to remove my shield, slam, wear it. Its an extra step that isnt worth it to me as I can lock shield fast enough already.
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 11:10 AM CDT
True, removing it is a pain in da butt. In the normal hunting I don't see the use unless I am overhunting. Soo... any chance we can get SLAM to work even if worn? Heck, I think it would be more practical to hit something with my shield strapped to me rather then in my hand.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 04:25 PM CDT
I love shield bash because it's a weapon we learn at a primary rate. It is based off of shield skill, Darthiel, no idea if slam left uses offhand also. It's balance neutral as well, so there's no reason not to use it. Since I'm HE primary (with HB not far behind) and have a shield that exceeds the armworn caps I am normally holding onto my shield, so it's no big deal for me to throw in a slam when I see the opportunity (normally if I've just stunned an opponent or see he's near the end). I'm training up 2HE to take over as my main melee weapon, though, so in the future it will be more of an issue -- but nothing a macro or an edit to my script won't fix.

~Thilan
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 09:36 PM CDT
Well especially during invasions and PvP, you shield should be in your hand for the extra protection rather than on your arm making BASH a viable asset and tool.
Re:Shield Bash 08/08/2008 10:46 PM CDT
I've checked multiple times against multiple differant types of attacking opponents... I see no differance in effective protection of worn vs held with a shield... if you are using a shield that appraises above Very impressive.. then there will be a difference... otherwise... none.

I believe the idea behind shield bash was to enable us to have an attack that would compliment our edged weapon attacks...

we can slice damage or puncture damage... then throw in a slam an have a real good impact based attack... more effective against plate armored opponents... as well as unarmored.

'also many types of large shields when DA'd become severe impact... and that really does land a powerful hit... and that is great for those who don't have the strength to wield large weapons.

So shield bash be good fer edged weapon fighters... shield throwers... as well as the good show off...

oh and if you slam right you will pommel with yer held weapon... slam or slam left will use yer shield...

I found If I slam Right holding the shield in my right hand... it does the most damage... although these alternative attack commands were probibly thought of by Ssra... and therefor have no positive effect beyond the norm...

unless of course he didnt think of people like me who are always lookin fer stuff like that... (remember kneeling with a shield? hehe)
Re:Shield Bash 08/09/2008 01:02 PM CDT
The last time I actually used Shield Bash was before there was a cap on weapon RTs. It does make a nice coup de grace move- but it wasn't something back then that I would wish to use while dealing with a swarm.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re:Shield Bash 08/10/2008 11:01 AM CDT

After reading this thread, I've gone out and given shield bashing a try, and found that it really is a very strong attack. I've been wearing my shield to train up 2HE, but with the improved stat of a DA'd shield held in hand plus the slam, I may not be wearing this jousting shield too much anymore, or training 2HE too much, either.

Matter of fact, thinking of it.......

Before wearing a shield was implemented, I understood that arm-worn shielding was considered first for paladins only, and..

Before shield bash was implemented, I had also hoped for a paladin only ability, so..

How about relenting, and allowing paladin guild to wear any shield on arm, but to factor in an ability to work off any penalties associated. I mean, we are supposed to be the "best" with shields, right? I see us as "somewhat" better," and allowing this would open several options to us, primarily being the shield bash with a fully DA'd shield.... no penalties, no reductions, and maybe something scaled in around 40th circle would make us even a bit mo' betta.

Player of Humm Breaux
Re:Shield Bash 08/10/2008 03:24 PM CDT
Being the best with shields, means we can wear large shields on our arms(not, we can train off any penalty).

And, you can say that you really like how DA + hand held shield works, but really, thats what Paladins were doing for years before the advent of arm worn shields. It isn't really a new thing :)

That being said, I don't think I was alone in wishing that I'd trained 2HE more since arm worn shields came out. I'd switch to 2HE primary in a heart beat if it was anywhere near my primary.

I honestly think you are worse off holding your shield and using a HE than you would be wearing your shield and using a 2HE(or whatever two-handed weapon you like).

-Landros
Re:Shield Bash 08/10/2008 03:36 PM CDT
I've been playing with Shield Bash, and it's our best attack hands down, imo.

Although, it's not balance neutral, like someone said. I always lose a little balance every time I use it.

Question on specific shields: I can arm-wear large shields, but I cannot arm wear the aegis from the Crossing Pally shop. It apps as large, too. Same protection, but cannot arm wear it. Anyone know why?

Ironguts Daniel

Re:Shield Bash 08/10/2008 03:44 PM CDT
Best attack compared to what? feint/draw/sweep/slice/chop?

Or are you talking about our spells too, like SF or Halt.

-Landros
Re:Shield Bash 08/10/2008 04:07 PM CDT
Best attack compared to weapons. I'm not high enough level to compare it to spells. But I am guessing my shield ranks vs. weapons ranks ratio is similar to any high level pally, and Shield Bash hits a lot harder than my highest weapon.

>I always lose a little balance every time I use it.

I should amend this statement. I can lose or gain balance/position depending on where in the combo chain I throw in the SLAM.

Sir Daniel

Re:Shield Bash 08/10/2008 08:23 PM CDT
I like shield bash its one of the ways to make armor ranks use able in combat on attacking.

slam
< With the speed and temerity of a swooping falcon, you slam a battle-worn tower shield at a s'sugi malchata. A s'sugi malchata fails to evade, stepping partially into the shot. The shield lands a powerful strike that rips the right arm clean off at the shoulder.
A s'sugi malchata crumbles to the ground.
Re:Shield Bash 08/11/2008 01:32 AM CDT
<<Being the best with shields, means we can wear large shields on our arms(not, we can train off any penalty).

I understand that. You have a problem with my asking this question or something? I'm asking, because I am unsure where you're trying to go with this, unless it's that I shouldn't even be asking, and if that is your point, I really need for you to let me know just why I shouldn't even ask. My opinion is that hand or arm worn, paladins should be able to work off the penalties, and as many as possible, but if that opinion isn't allowed, I wasn't aware of that.

<<And, you can say that you really like how DA + hand held shield works, but really, thats what Paladins were doing for years before the advent of arm worn shields. It isn't really a new thing :)

yeah..... Were you thinking I was saying that I just found this out? Did I said that I thought it was new? I just like it better than DA on my jousting shield as it is arm worn. Better protection is why.

<<That being said, I don't think I was alone in wishing that I'd trained 2HE more since arm worn shields came out. I'd switch to 2HE primary in a heart beat if it was anywhere near my primary.

<<I honestly think you are worse off holding your shield and using a HE than you would be wearing your shield and using a 2HE(or whatever two-handed weapon you like).

Actually, 2HE is my highest two handed wep skill, and it's just about 1/3 of what I need to circle with. You think I'll be better off if I stop what I'm already backtraining to start backtraining 2 handed weps, because it's better? It may be better, yeah, but it'll be two years before I can accomplish that, and I doubt I enjoy my tine in DR even half as much, and I'll not have circled once in the meantime.

I like ya bud, but it sounds as if talking down to me. I don't care for that.

Player of Humm Breaux
Re:Shield Bash 08/12/2008 12:49 AM CDT
Eh, sometimes its hard to disagree and not make it sound personal(and it isn't). Just giving you my take on things.

-Landros
Re:Shield Bash 08/12/2008 12:55 AM CDT
In fact I'm going to go ahead and apologize for sounding like an ass. I made my point a couple posts ago and probably should have dropped it then

-Landros
Re:Shield Bash 08/12/2008 11:02 AM CDT
Thanks for seeing my point, and i honestly appreciate that.

You're cool, bro.

Player of Humm Breaux