What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/26/2011 12:20 PM CST
After playing many paladins, I had a few thoughts about the reqs. I dont know if I would have the same opinion if I was a true newbie though.

1. Add another armor skill as required. Right now there are 2 required, and the secondary one is pretty weak considering shield counts as an armor.
2. Step up the second and third weapon req, right now the second weapon req seems sort of weak. And if you are a new person, and dont start training a second weapon till later on, you may have to go backtrain.
3. Remove 5th and possibly 4th weapon req. These are sort of silly, either remove them in favor of adding another armor required or start them sooner than 100th and increase them a bit.
4. Bump up multi requirement, probably a moot point for when the skill goes away, but current thought at least.
5. Bump up magic ranks, 200 ranks in 3 magics at 150th seems a bit low.

Do most newbs train multiple weapons out the door? I know I didnt start training multiple weapons till much later. Does the guild leader suggest to train more than 1 weapon?

I know at this point, guild reqs probably wouldnt change much, but its fun to at least discuss. Thoughts?
Re: What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/26/2011 12:39 PM CST
<<3. Remove 5th and possibly 4th weapon req. These are sort of silly, either remove them in favor of adding another armor required or start them sooner than 100th and increase them a bit.

Agree.

<<5. Bump up magic ranks, 200 ranks in 3 magics at 150th seems a bit low.

Agree.

I think the reasons they exist (or not) are a nod to the skillset placement.

Madigan
Re: What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/27/2011 03:21 PM CST
I think shield should have a req equal to primary armor and not have it count as a secondary armor. Then increase the req for primary armor and shield, i couldn't tell you when the last time armor was what was the last skill i needed to circle.
Re: What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/27/2011 04:46 PM CST
I'll bet we'll have a "Defending" requirement when skills 3.0 are released, and there will also be the "Endurance" skill, which will train (somehow) like a primary. I think the addition of those skills will give us a decent amount of armor skill requirements, although I wouldn't be too opposed to a bigger 2nd armor requirement, and take shield off the list as far as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. armor is considered.

I'm all for ditching the teaching requirements and sliding "Tactics" in its place once 3.0 is out. I don't mind a scholarship requirement, because it makes sense to me that a Paladin is more well read (on average) than, say, a Barbarian. My problem with teaching is that it seems to me that if one wanted to spread holy knowledge all around Elanthia, one would be a Cleric.
Re: What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/28/2011 12:18 AM CST
>>I'm all for ditching the teaching requirements and sliding "Tactics" in its place once 3.0 is out. I don't mind a scholarship requirement, because it makes sense to me that a Paladin is more well read (on average) than, say, a Barbarian.

Teaching and Scholarship will be combining.

That said, changing to a Tactics requirement seems appropriate.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/29/2011 10:35 AM CST
I wouldn't bother messing with the tertiary skillset requirements. They're going to be incidental to actually circling unless you make them downright prohibitive (like requiring 4/5/6 ranks of Evasion a circle, for instance).

I'd focus on requiring more effort be put in to training Lore skills (especially with two-four trainable in combat in Combat 3.0), figuring out what realistic weapon training requirements look like (Paladins always seem to float between too hard and too easy in my experience), and your guildleaders really cracking down on the lack of ranged weapon training among Paladins.

Beren wouldn't let that sort of crap fly. He'd say something like "Are you daft, kiddo? Not training a ranged weapon? Don't you realize that Paladins have to be prepared to fight under any condition? If I don't see some sort of proficiency at range from you that doesn't include wiggling your fingers and praying, I'm not going to let you progress."

The Paladin teaching requirement is so incredibly incidental I can't believe it really harmed anyone's progression. Yes, Teaching is "hard" to train now with everyone off soloing. It has not stopped me from circling ever. Weapons skills, on the other hand, frequently do. Side effect of training a lot of them, I think.
Re: What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/29/2011 12:26 PM CST
I think his point was that they are too easy. Except for weapon and primary armor, you really don't have to think about training the other stuff.

Madigan
Re: What do you all think about the guild reqs? 12/27/2012 09:05 PM CST
It is funny I am replying to this almost a year later. Anyways, the conversation came up today, I think our req of 1540 shield for 200th is too low. It should come out to as close to 1750 as possible, IMO. What do folks think?

If you are going to cap levels, might as well cap skill at or about the same time, right?

I am just wondering why the req is so much lower than other guilds at 200th.