An Oddity 05/21/2008 06:47 PM CDT
Just an idle question. How come are shield requirements stop at sixty ranks? Shield seems more natural as Paladin then Parry, but that is just my take on it.
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 07:17 PM CDT
You continue to need ranks in 2 different armor types, and shield can be one of them. So you can ditch it if you want (perhaps to focus on two-handers), but you can also continue to use it to circle.
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 07:42 PM CDT
I wish parry ranks could be substituted for armor ranks.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 07:55 PM CDT
<<shield can be one of them>>
So after I finish my sixty ranks, it can then be technically used as my second armor? Weird.
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 07:58 PM CDT
<<I wish parry ranks could be substituted for armor ranks.>>
I am bad at alternating between training shield and parry.
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 08:01 PM CDT
It can be used as your primary armor, if you want.
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 09:28 PM CDT
Here are my tips:

1. Make shield your primary armor.

2. Set your stance so that you can rotate through them and train evasion, parry and shield at different times.

3. As soon as you hit 100 ranks in heavy plate. Purchase a set of half plate and buy all the different types of armors in greaves. Rotate the greaves on your legs to eventually train all armors.

4. Train a ranged weapon. I recommend HX.

5. Train perception by juggling as much as possible.

6. Train magic after you finish your juggling. Do this by getting a cambrinth and casting a spell over, and over until you lock as much magic as you can.

Beyond that, get a RP going. Establish the history of your character and have some fun. I am always in Therengia if you need anything.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 10:25 PM CDT
<<1. Make shield your primary armor.>>
Well so far it is my fastest progressing. :)

<<2. Set your stance so that you can rotate through them and train evasion, parry and shield at different times.>>

I am currently using two setups. When I attack with my Mace I use my shield, and when I switch to my Scimitar I alternate to Parry. I did this mostly to make it a more RPish transition feel rather then training.

<<As soon as you hit 100 ranks in heavy plate>>
Currently I am using a mix of LC/HP. I read that at 30th my mixed penalty will go away and then I can freely sample more armors. However simply trading out the greaves seems like an easy switch. I personally selected LC and HP because of the two possible roles I might take with my Paladin.

<<Train a ranged weapon. I recommend HX.>>
I must say training a ranged weapon does not interest me in the least. Because I am a halfling a big heavy crossbow might additionally seem a bit preposterous. I have a short bow but I have not got around to using it.

<<Train perception by juggling as much as possible.>>
Need to acquire these jugglies :)

<<Beyond that, get a RP going. Establish the history of your character and have some fun.>>
This is really what I want to work on. I am "trying" to build a standard operating procedure for my guy so it seems more routinish rather then out of the norm training. Not sure if that makes any sense.

<<I am always in Therengia if you need anything.>>
I thank you for this offer, hopefully you never regret making it. :)
Re: An Oddity 05/21/2008 10:27 PM CDT
If you are S'kra. I can use some support....On the Good side...

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 09:05 AM CDT
I would highly recommend getting to know Taghz. His paladin has been consistently played for a long time and will give you a different perspective on RP opportunities for paladins.

Madigan is a pretty typical "good guy" paladin. I like to think I do things well, but overall there are many paladins that have a similar RP. Taghz is outside the box and I think well played.

As for your response to training a ranged weapon, I urge you to reconsider. Beyond that, good luck and welcome to the guild.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 09:09 AM CDT
If you like using a mace I'd suggest you consider swapping it for a hammer and adding heavy thrown to your favourites.

Cheers - Tristtan
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 10:36 AM CDT
<<If you are S'kra. I can use some support....On the Good side...>>
Unfortunately I am a Halfling. However per Madigan's post, where do you hang out so I can hear your take for your Paladin?

<<Madigan is a pretty typical "good guy" paladin>>
I am fine with this role for the most part but want to have my own tweaks/quirks.

<<As for your response to training a ranged weapon, I urge you to reconsider>>
So in the long run a HX will outperform an LX by miles?

<<If you like using a mace I'd suggest you consider swapping it for a hammer and adding heavy thrown to your favourites.>>
I just can't picture my little halfling tossing a big ol hammer. But where would I get such a hammer if I reconsider?
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 11:07 AM CDT
>>Unfortunately I am a Halfling. However, per Madigan's post, where do you hang out so I can hear your take for your Paladin?

I hang out on M'riss/Mer'Kresh...One reason Celpeze are gold for hunting...Secondly RP wise...There are some very valid reasons....

I do wander on the mainland a few times....Mostly to train some stuff that cant be trained on the rissan islands...

>>Madigan is a pretty typical "good guy" paladin. I like to think I do things well, but overall there are many paladins that have a similar RP. Taghz is outside the box and I think well played.

Thanks Madigan, I always strive to be better at Roleplaying...

Idea for Halfling Paladin....

Defender of Arthe Dale.

1) Close to Crossing
2) Small Knit(Use to have a close nit community, needs revival)
3) A Native Halfling town

My AIM is: Taghz98

Contact me if you have any questions....

Crusader Taghz

Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 11:42 AM CDT
>I just can't picture my little halfling tossing a big ol hammer. But where would I get such a hammer if I reconsider?

I thought HT sounded like an easy one if you were an MB user already, fewer swaps, less RT, more training, and HT typically hits hard :) The "square faced hammer" is one of the better ones, I think they are fest items though so a trader would be the typical source. I'm enjoying the "Big-noggin hammer" at the moment. But if you're looking for pure damage potential the HX recommendation is a very good choice, if you can get past the RT. I use a slurbow with quadrellos - hits like a freight train - once every 3 minutes when it reloads and aims that is... :)

Have fun.
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 12:05 PM CDT
<<if you can get past the RT>>
Yeah, ick.
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 12:14 PM CDT
<<Defender of Arthe Dale>>
I am liking this, need to flesh it out. I feel a bit cheese ball for using this as a plot line since I didn't come up with it. But I should be able to flesh it out enough to make it my own.
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 12:17 PM CDT
Tristtan, I'm pretty sure the thrown version of an MB is LT. All the weapons you described are HB/HT, not MB. LT is not a bad choice, though, especially once you get good enough to use throwing blades and throw more than one at the same time.

LX works nicely for a missile weapon as well and doesn't have as long of a load time. Plus as a halfling with your bonus to agility you'll reach minimum RT a lot quicker than you would with HX (considering you get a penalty to strength).

I would just stay away from stick bows (long bow, short bow, composite bow) because they are unwieldy with a shield.

~Thilan
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 12:26 PM CDT
<<Plus as a halfling with your bonus to agility >>
How much agility, and how low would the RT be?
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 12:33 PM CDT
From http://www.elanthipedia.com, DR's wiki that has tons of info:

First 1-Second Reduction:

35 Agility
Strength + Agility = 60
250 ranks

*Note: Numbers above are when the load time is reduced 100% of the time. The load time can first be infrequently reduced at 200 ranks and gradually becomes more frequent until 250 ranks when it is constant.

Second 1-Second Reduction:

60 Agility
Strength + Agility = 110
500 ranks

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Light_Crossbow_skill

~Thilan
Re: An Oddity 05/22/2008 02:58 PM CDT
<<250 ranks when it is constant>>
Yikes, that is a whole lot of ranks.

Taghz.
Thanks for the invitation will take you up on it.
Re: An Oddity 05/23/2008 09:04 AM CDT
True, can't think of an MB/HT off hand, I was considering the desire to RP a blunt wielding paladin. My recommendation is for HB/HT then :)

Cheers
Re: An Oddity 05/23/2008 10:41 AM CDT
I ended up choosing HT as my primary range with a Short Hunting Spear which I figured I could get away with RP wise. Is there any roundtime drops for HT? Should I train LX too?

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: An Oddity 05/23/2008 12:06 PM CDT
http://www.sarvatt.com/RT.htm

Try that spot for weapon RT's. I haven't tried it recently but the link worked a couple of months ago.

The Arthe spear is a good starting choice, particularly as it suits your RP. Light weight, fits standard containers, easy to replace and decent effectiveness. From what I hear most people say HX, not LX, is the way for us heavily armoured types to go. I'm guessing that the typically heavily armoured paladin can stand behind a big shield on her arm and wait out the RT and benefit from the awesome damage potential. I'm not a big ranged kinda paladin so I'm not the expert.

Have fun :)
Re: An Oddity 05/23/2008 12:22 PM CDT
<<Try that spot for weapon RT's>>
Was not sure if thrown weapons benefited RT wise from strength/agility.

<<The Arthe spear is a good starting choice, particularly as it suits your RP>>
Seems to be killing hogs at a fair rate.

<<I hear most people say HX, not LX>>
I am personally not a fan of long roundtimes. I also am not much for alternating weapons much either. I ditched the ME for now, it takes so long to lock my blunt that I can back and forth lock my parry/shield before it ever locks.

<<I'm not a big ranged kinda paladin so I'm not the expert>>
I don't plan to be either, but I am training LC too just in case I need to change my fighting style at some point. If ever.

Re: An Oddity 05/23/2008 06:01 PM CDT
<<I'm not a big ranged kinda paladin so I'm not the expert>>
>>I don't plan to be either

Ackfer, I doubt many of us Paladins are "big" on ranged weapons, certainly NOT to the extent that some barbs and rangers are, however, there are MANY times where having SOME kind of ranged skill (HX, LX, HT, LT, etc) helps, such as during an invasion. If you ONLY fight melee, you'll find every invader dead by the time you close to melee. If you wish to get your "licks" in, you'll need some ranged weapon to participate. My ranged weapons are in the lower third of all my weapon skills, but I do train them just to have the choice if needed.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: An Oddity 05/23/2008 06:10 PM CDT
Redarch, yeah I am the getting message loud and clear from all the input I am receiving. I have decided to do HT and since they are Arthe Spears and relatively cheap I can lose them in an invasion without worrying. It will be the last of my trained weapons though.

Not to mention I saw a lion headed throwing hammer for sale in a Paladin shop, I want!

Re: An Oddity 05/24/2008 10:16 PM CDT
>>As for your response to training a ranged weapon, I urge you to reconsider. Beyond that, good luck and welcome to the guild.

Granted, we never got to see him growing up into the General he was in the movie but Kasamoto never once picked up a bow to shoot down rifle-toting imperial troops. Not even to practice like every great warrior does.

On the other hand, he failed to defeat the imperial army (equipped with howitzers and gatling guns) and when his bullet-ridden body could go no further he killed himself as every good samurai should.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html