Weapon requirements 12/31/2005 02:42 PM CST
Been doing a little research here.

While I think rangers require too much weapon to circle... I don't think paladins should require any less. Paladins should have higher weapon reqs than any other guild except barbs.

Couldn't hurt to raise paladin weapon requirements a bit. Currently they encourage us to be lazy in training weapons, which makes us weak.

Cavalier Calemnon, Knight of Therengia
Re: Weapon requirements 12/31/2005 03:33 PM CST
Uh, Sparky, Requirements don't make any guild/person weak, its how they train themselves...Example, Slaris.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Weapon requirements 12/31/2005 11:32 PM CST
Personally I try to keep my weapon skills near my armor/shield ranks. That may be different for others, but I for one do not like having weapons ranks far behind those armor/shields ranks.
Re: Weapon requirements 01/01/2006 09:16 AM CST
I try too, but my shield just skips ahead. I've been focusing solely on weapons for the past few months, but the gap is still growing.

Lyonet
Re: Weapon requirements 01/01/2006 11:57 AM CST
Yeah that's part of the issue for any profession that I play Lyonet. The main skills your profession are known for will quickly outstrip your other skills if you don't constantly work those secondary and tertiary skills to keep them on a "near par" level with your primary skills you'll paint yourself into a corner.

I see this issue crop up with thieves, paladins, warrior mages and rangers all the time. Basically I look at it like this, so what I don't advance as fast as some. At least my skills are better laid out and my stat's are probably higher as well due to having more tp's then most same circle paladins, warrior mages etc. Just one of those things you learn to bear with.

The paint yourself into the corner scenario for a paladin comes down to being able to protect yourself versus one or two foes but not being able to hurt them because your weapons aren't up to your armor/shield. Where as with say a warrior mage your facing the "I can kill them scenario" but even two and sometimes one foe can trash me because my combat skills aren't up to my targeting skill. All the professions seem to have some variation of this situation that can crop up, though I don't know for sure about Traders never having played one.

Re: Weapon requirements 01/01/2006 02:31 PM CST
Here's the dilemma. If I wear my shield and go train my weapon, I lock parry, evasion and shield without even dancing, meaning that I kill the creatures as fast as I can. Now I could stop using shield and train only parry and evasion, meaning that my mind might get messed up faster and I'd probably get hit more, but that's not a very nice option.

Maybe I'm hunting wrong creatures, but I can't find one that would teach weapons and parry and evasion and not shield. I could go halt creatures, but then I'd get no evasion or parry either.

Currently hunting peccaries, which train almost everything except multi cause I don't dance. Vines are nice for multi and evasion and lower weapons, but they don't train main weapon any more and that's my primary focus at this time. Adan'f mages train my main weapon well, but then my evasion slacks behind shield which is necessary cause of their magic.

The point is, I am constantly working the secondary and tertiary skills, they lock fast every time I hunt, but without throwing my shield away it just keeps moving ahead.

Lyonet
Re: Weapon requirements 01/01/2006 03:04 PM CST
Try behind Corik's Wall, or perhaps, Spire thugs, I'm guessing they would be about the range to teach you everything except shield Lyonet. I could be wrong though, only guessing from where you hunt.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Weapon requirements 01/01/2006 04:03 PM CST
Corik's Wall is great for everything EXCEPT main weapon. Shadoweavers lock my shield, but barely move the main weapon. Hunting there actually made my main weapon lag behind. Spire is good for the weapon, but I will have to use my shield to have a chance at survival just as in adan'f cause I don't enjoy the occasional stalkers very much.

But yeah if in Shard, Spire and adan'f area are my favourite places to hunt in.

Lyonet

PS I am searching for your IM Samsaren and I will not be afraid to use it when I find it. I shall be harassing you with some questions about the Holy Weapon. Consider yourself warned. :P
Re: Weapon requirements 01/01/2006 04:08 PM CST
Every time I step up to a new hunting ground I begin to learn shield and armor at high rates, quickly outpacing my weapons and survivals. This is as expected because the primary skill learn faster than the secondary and tert skills. I do not try to do much about it at the time, but what I do do is stick around that hunting area well after my shield and armor do not train anymore, letting the secondary and third tier skills catch up. I did this in sprites, vines, and will do this in Swain before moving up to the next hunting area. I feel it has helped me a good amount because my parry, evasion and multi are well above my weapons, and I can handle swarms better than a lot of friends I know at the same circle as I. Multi really makes a difference. And letting the gap get to big between shield/armor and weapons will do exactly as was stated previously, allow you to defend against thigs you cant hit. So one way or another you will have to backtrain weapons, or at least let them catch up. Why not do it in smaller amounts along the way? Just my two cents.

Sir Haammerstrike
Blunt Wielding Dwarf Paladin

An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Weapon requirements 01/01/2006 08:33 PM CST
>The main skills your profession are known for will quickly outstrip your other skills if you don't constantly work those secondary and tertiary skills to keep them on a "near par" level with your primary skills you'll paint yourself into a corner.

Thing is, that 'corner' for a paladin is the one near the door ... your defenses. Even when you can't hit the beasties, chances are you can get away and not end up dead. Eventually, at least the way I've trained, the weapons will catch up because I see no use in trying to hunt where I can't kill. This slows things down enough that multi and evasion catch up fairly naturally. (My paladin can teach all my other charas evasion, including my empath.)

The only time I ever had problems with shield/armor getting too far ahead of weapons was when they added agility to the RT equations and even then, I dragged out a set of chain, got some new weapons, and just worked those for TDPs for a while.
Weapon requirements 03/15/2006 06:53 AM CST
There is no reason why rangers should have higher weapon requirements than paladins.

I personally don't think it would hurt the paladin guild to have slightly higher weapon requirements.

Cavalier Calemnon, Knight of Therengia
Re: Weapon requirements 03/15/2006 08:02 AM CST
No offience, but don't you ever get tired of this old wheeze? Reqs don't make a Paladin, and raising anything would just make those who've already earned whatever circle have to sweat to 'get it back', or flat out not bother. Want to be stronger, hold yourself to 6, 7, 15 weapon ranks a circle, if anything, it proves YOU are more disciplined for the effort involved.

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Weapon requirements 03/15/2006 08:28 AM CST
what kind of paladins are we? how can we show respect to the gods without having the lore reqs of clerics? just because we're insecure i think we should have twice the scholarship req because we have a lot to prove.

A brilliant stream of pure white light jumps from you to Relayer.
It lands a cataclysmic hit against his chest!
As the hammer-shaped light silently explodes, you could swear you hear a voice whisper the word "Justice".
Re: Weapon requirements 03/15/2006 09:42 AM CST
Rangers' primary weapon requirements don't become greater then that of paladins until 70th circle. Even then, the difference is very marginal. I'd also point out that at all circles, paladins have a higher secondary and tertiary weapon requirement than rangers.

Garelith

Dead men have no victory.
Re: Weapon requirements 03/15/2006 12:24 PM CST
Admirable to want to better yourself, but don't force it on an entire guild. The design for Paladins was not to be weaponmasters, and not all want to be. As Samsaren said, if you want to have better weapons skills than a Ranger, train that way. There is no rule that you can't train your weapons to whatever level you want simply because your guild doesn't require it. In Plat we've even got a Moon Mage who trained extra hard to keep his weapons at Barbarian levels for his circle; Paladins that train their survivals like Rangers. On and on.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire
Re: Weapon requirements 03/15/2006 01:00 PM CST
Train as you like, above the present standard. Bit-based EXP will make it actually mean something, or so I've been led to believe. Don't close the doors on min combat nerdy magic + scholar type Paladins; leave the reqs as is.

"... and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
Re: Weapon requirements 03/15/2006 05:16 PM CST
Actually after 30th circle Ranger primary weapon requirements are higher per circle. I think thats what they are talking about. But only higher by one rank.

Ranger Dragamar, Toxophilite
Re: Weapon requirements 03/19/2006 11:42 AM CST
Maybe it's me, but who in their right mind pops out with... Say I think we should have (Pick any) requirements raised anyway? Wait..maybe I just answered that one...

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Weapon requirements 03/19/2006 03:26 PM CST
Leucius made a joke. Fear the heat death of the universe.

ps: <3 2 L.

"... and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
Re: Weapon requirements 03/22/2006 06:40 PM CST
Okay. I laughed.. hard. Thanks. =) --Arhia

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." --Mark Twain
Re: Weapon requirements 10/03/2006 03:55 AM CDT
Gotta go with Calemnon here. Considering the effects circle has on overall power, it seems unfair to allow some weapon secondary guilds to circle from 70 to 71 (and so on) with 20 ranks fewer than another weapon secondary guild. And to justify it by saying "we have more secondary weapon reqs" is logically flawed for several reasons. Mainly that it's easy to train two weapons at once, but also because of the extreme difference in time required to go from 280 to 281 than from 160 to 161 (and so on). As it happens Rangers have more secondary and tertiary requirements than Paladins anyway.

It's not as grossly unfair with Paladins' reqs, since the difference is small. It's ridiculous when comparing Thieves' reqs with...any weapon secondary guild.
Re: Weapon requirements 10/03/2006 04:02 AM CDT
...umm please ignore the fact that Warrior Mages need 50 less primary weapon for circle 100 than Paladins, which is 70 less than Rangers, and 50 more than Thieves.

That is all.