Perhaps you should rethink some things. 03/05/2003 05:29 AM CST
<<Chadatru is represented in light and dark aspects by Rutilor (which you had correct) and Botulf (which you did not.)>>

I appologize for the mistake. You are indeed correct. I tend to mix those two Immortals up.

<<Also, by your arguement that the immortals are imperfect beings that are by definition, outside the sway of mortality, it's like saying that we as mortals are like citizens of a country and the immortals are our rulers, not by right, but by power. Hmm... interesting... there's something about this that bothers my mind, though. I'd rather not serve beings who do not want me to act as they do.>>

One thing I would like to suggest, is that the gods in DR are neither fully Omnipotent, Omniscient or Omnipresent. The obvious conclusion is that they are not perfect, if they are not perfect then they are flawed. Incredibly powerful flawed beings, but still flawed and prone to forms of weakness, just like our characters.

I would argue based on this premise that the immortals are unworthy of blind unfailing trust and faith. Some immortals advocate the use of murder, torture and theft, others oppose it. There's an inherent inconstancy in place among the gods. What one deems acceptable the other deems an abomination. This demands that our characters step back and figure things out for themselves, then decide who's worthy to follow and who's worthy to place faith in. After all if even the gods cannot come to some universal agreement, about morallity for instance, then why not question what each one says? I think it would be foolish to assign all consuming credibillity and blind faith in the teachings of anyone, even if they were an Immortal.

<<...it's like saying that we as mortals are like citizens of a country and the immortals are our rulers, not by right, but by power.>>

All rulers derive their power from the masses that follow them. What good is all the power in the world if no one follows you? The gods do not rule Elanthia, they compete for influence.
Re: Perhaps you should rethink some things. 03/05/2003 08:11 AM CST

>I think it would be foolish to assign all consuming credibillity and blind faith in the teachings of anyone, even if they were an Immortal.

I tend to agree with this and try to play 'Cyllwdd' as though he sees the gods as role models. Morality, ethics, life, death, truth, falsehood, etc, all of these things have a place in reality and the gods represent physical manifestations of that reality. If 'justice' is the most important moral argument, or (to my character) the most relevant of social factors then he will follow a god that exemplifies this virtue. The gods are not omniscient or omnipotent but represent ideals of their chosen aspects, the champions or highest achievement in the virtue they are conveying at the time.

The distinction for me is that a paladin will follow those role models that ascribe to 'good' virtues. Good being those ideals that are not antithetical to the common weal, not necessarily those that are overtly self-sacrificing. I don't see it as in inconsistency for the aspects to portray various virtues but rather that the gods can manifest themselves as whatever form best represents the ideal they are trying to convey.

Perhaps (IC opinion) they are all just physical manifestations of various aspects of a single entity and the combined whole is at some point omniscient. Perhaps they are just manifestations of the emotions and reactions their presence elicits in others. Whether "hate" chooses to be Elven today and Human tomorrow is inconsequential to 'Cyllwdd' as long as he, personally, is able to make the distinction that what he is seeing is 'hate'. The gods are fallible, how can a mere mortal comprehend the whole of reality? Therefore he just tries to do the best he can with what he has.

Another perspective. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers - Cyllwdd (going for another coffee to warm up a little before writing anything that really HAS to make sense ::mutter blizzards::)
Re: Perhaps you should rethink some things. 03/05/2003 11:10 AM CST
<<The gods are fallible, how can a mere mortal comprehend the whole of reality? Therefore he just tries to do the best he can with what he has.>>

Depends on what you mean by "the whole of reality". While I'll agree that no single person understands and knows EVERYthing, I don't think it's wise to assume we can never know ANYthing. The fact we as mortals can never understand or know everything dosn't mean reality becomes irrelevant.

Brittany (...the player of Aspasia Darkbrook)
Re: Perhaps you should rethink some things. 03/05/2003 12:45 PM CST
Brittany is back
Posting again here often
Always good to read

Chestham ~ Getting into the spirit of the day
Re: Perhaps you should rethink some things. 03/05/2003 11:48 PM CST
But blind faith is so much fun...
But seriously, yes, I do understand. And to me, this furthers the arguement that we should not follow the dark aspects. We, as paladins, are called to uphold Justice and order. We therefore must follow only those who promote and maintain order.
Re: Perhaps you should rethink some things. 03/09/2003 04:56 PM CST
BTW Britany, you said something a long time ago about thinking you had ticked me off. Which you did not... smiles. I think that was in your "I am taking a break" speech. Nice to see you back and writing.

Daython