Warhorses and Combat 03/07/2013 11:24 PM CST
Took my warhorse off to heggarangi frogs today and discovered that they can currently/now be engaged in combat by critters..

The heggarangi frog begins to advance on an Akhaal horse.

Now my horse is fighting back properly and the frogs cant hurt her but they never used to be engageable in combat at all. This could be very bad in an area with critters that can kill the horse.

I rode her into the area then engaged a frog. Decided to dismount because she wasn't killing/hunting. That frog died ages ago though. I'm standing next to her at this point.

Is this intentional? A bug?
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 12:42 AM CST
>.Took my warhorse off to heggarangi frogs today and discovered that they can currently/now be engaged in combat by critters..

This has always been the case, actually.

>>This could be very bad in an area with critters that can kill the horse.

Yep. They're also not very strong at all, which is why no one takes their horse into combat. They only scale to about 200 ranks or some such.
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 02:06 AM CST
I'm pretty sure that horses couldn't be attacked in 2.0, so if they're being attacked now (and can be killed) that is a very notable bug.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 08:31 AM CST
There have been cases of horses getting killed in 2.0. If I recall correctly there was a Paladin with a rare Therengian breed horse (that isn't available anymore) that was killed in regular combat at around when Lyras was still trumping around and creating mayhem.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 08:56 AM CST
<<I'm pretty sure that horses couldn't be attacked in 2.0, so if they're being attacked now (and can be killed) that is a very notable bug.

Madigan
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 09:59 AM CST
>>There have been cases of horses getting killed in 2.0.

Yeah, but those were probably always bugs, too.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 01:34 PM CST
There are a few cases of horses getting killed (and one being skinned, which was LOL) but they were bugs in 2.0. Anyway, that is my recollection.

Madigan
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 01:46 PM CST
>>and one being skinned, which was LOL

That was the best. But, yeah, bug.

Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 06:27 PM CST
It would be nice to get some information on the horse system in general and hear from upstairs on what is working still for them and what is planned for the future. Mounted combat is something that Paladins would love to embrace.

Khohan
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/08/2013 10:01 PM CST
I think Ricinus has a passion for the horse system. Although, I think all GM's are full time bug fixing right now.

Madigan
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/09/2013 12:23 AM CST
I think I'd want Horses (and potentially other combat pets like hunting dogs or falcons) to work like GS, but instead of using TM use... some other skill. I was originally going to say Outdoorsmanship, since I think that's where Animal Lore got rolled. Another option is one of the Masteries. Melee Mastery for Horses and Hunting Dogs, Missile Mastery for Falcons.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Warhorses and Combat 03/09/2013 06:31 AM CST

I used my warhorse extensively before and the horse would engage things that engaged the paladin. This is with a dismounted paladin as I got out of the habit of trying to use the horse mounted in combat a long time ago. The horse could then attack that target. I don't remember the target ever turning on the horse but can't say for sure that never happened although I do know she only got wounded once and that was via an npc cast aoe spell effect. It was worth taking the horse places where she could not actually hit the foes for the MO effect. The horse was/is definitely considerably less adept in combat than I am.

It was definitely possible for a player to engage and attack/kill a horse before. Casting challenge in the same space as a horse was always interesting (if you liked breaking your horse so badly you had to stable it) to.

In this particular case the frog(s) came into the room and chose the horse as the target despite having two unhidden and dismounted player targets there. It then proceeded to move into melee range with the horse and then attack. The horse could then attack the frog. Its this change in behavior that I wanted to flag for paladins and staff.

It was just lucky I was helping a new player out that day as i'd been planning to take her to train up a bit in a hunting ground i'd already spent many many many hours backtraining in with her where things would have been very different. Retraining is too difficult right now for me to test this without being sure its working as intended.

Must say i'm still excited about the pet rewrite too! I'm not even sure that I am most excited about the horses as I really want to see the rangers get their much anticipated racoon/wolf updates too. Cant wait to see what it will involve.