Bond with my horse? 05/12/2009 03:47 PM CDT
I can't signal my horse to attack critters. Or get it to attack them in any way. Even when they advance on it, whether I'm mounted or not. It says

You haven't developed a strong enough bond with your cherry bay horse to do that.

but i did manage to get it to attack me:

>adv horse
>
You begin to advance on a cherry bay horse.
>
* Moving strongly, a cherry bay horse charges at you. You attempt to dodge, leaning wrong and blundering into the blow. The body lands a good strike to your right arm.
[You're invigorated, energetic, solidly balanced and in better position.]
>
What's the deal?

I heard, pet it, feed it, hunt with it, and nothing.
Re: Bond with my horse? 05/12/2009 05:12 PM CDT
IF I remember correctly from Candidus' old posts the key to bonding was being bareback. Take your horse into combat and pet it every time it gets nervous, feed it treats a lot, and fight mounted, but bareback. I'm not sure if fighting dismounted and bareback works. try that for a few hours and see if that helps.

I may have some of that archived but it will take me a while to find it.

-=Dirge. You gotta lava it.=-

"Traders do not shriek like little girls and worry about magic cooties." GM Armifer
Re: Bond with my horse? 05/12/2009 05:27 PM CDT
From Candidus (many moons ago)

Bonding seems to be very much involved with grooming. Just as a bard bonds with their instrument by cleaning it.

However I do believe that there are some things that might hurt the process of making the bond. Once the bond is fully established (you have both bond moves), I do not believe you can backslide. At least I have not noticed any loss of bond.

Although this is only vague impressions since there is really no way to tell positively. Something I would like to see programed into horses in the future, as well as being able to tell what skills the horse knows.

You should try to remain in contact with the horse. Meaning you do not have to approach it. You should also not allow it to go hungry. If it gets hungry (which you can tell when you study it), just make sure you feed it right away.

Part of what you will likely want to do is train it up in combat. And you can get the bond without knowing mounted combat. You just can not use the Charge move until you reach 20th circle and can learn Mounted combat.

When training it in combat, make sure it does not get to the point where it is Trembling. Or at any other time for that matter, but it is much more likely during extended combat.

When a horse is Trembling, it has reached it highest level of aggitation and need a rest. This also might mean that it is just tired. Or upset. Explain it how you will.

But once it is trembling, no amount of care will get it to stop. The only recourse is to stable it. Due to the stable mechanics, it will be in the stable at least an hour.

Our other abilities with horses are Prep, Joust, and Mount.

Prep and Joust are both gained at 25th.

Mount is gained somewhere between 25th and 30th. And Mount is a great ability for it allows us to mount a horse while we are at melee range on a foe.

Hope this helps.

~ Salute ~

Candidus

A few replies

<<A tip for all you wishing to bond with you horse, you have to ride your horse bareback,yeah something I didnt do for the first 3 months as I thought a paladin horse should be all dress up and looking the part. Looks like the want you to get close to your horse as possible, so get rid of the saddle and mount em bareback.>>

This is totally incorect. I have both bond moves and never rode my horse bareback.

The tip about having the horse show up in combat assess is something I devised almost three years ago and have posted on the boards quite a few times. However....

<<You cant get the charge bond untill you have your horse showing up in combat assess.>>

This also is incorect. One of my Troopers gained Charge at 12th circle. She does not know about the advancing the horse to get it to show up in assess.

<<Have another tier in charge, at the moment only the horse charges whether you are mounted or not, how about if you are mounted the horse and YOU charge together, using the horses speed and your weapon to hit together.>>

I have also posted on a way to work around this problem with charge. I'll repeat it here. But I agree it does need fixing, as it does seem to be buggy.

Enter the Charge command once. This has the horse face the creature, but puts you immediately at melee. You can not charge again because you are at melee. However retreat twice solves this. Then if you follow this with one more charge move, you and your horse charge, both are at melee, and the horse delivers the charge attack.

Additionally you are BEHIND the creature so if you are fast enough, you get the advantage of a blow struck from behind.

Set up a couple hot keys. For the Wizard this would be for the first one:

signal horse charge \a\rretr\rretr\r

Then have a second key for just the charge move. Hit one after the other, but after you have keyed in the proper creature, and you are all set.

By keying in the proper creature I mean setting the \a string above. You can do this with the wizard by typing Cast Gargoyle, or whatever you are fighting in the game.

This will do nothing in the game, but it will trick the wizard into thinking that you are fighting a garg and set the \a string.

Hope this helps.

~ Salute ~

Candidus

-=Dirge. You gotta lava it.=-

"Traders do not shriek like little girls and worry about magic cooties." GM Armifer