"New" Horse Wonkiness 02/08/2009 02:40 PM CST
I'm sure probably not new, but just putting up logs and information of the current state of wonkiness with horses. I know, I know, it's a broken system or whatever, but I'm so fascinated by it, I'm a masochist what can I say.

Ok, so last we left our intrepid horsies:

You had the Mode A and Mode B, for those that don't remember, I'll repost it:

Mode A = Grab your horse from the stable, slap some barding on it, and go hunt. End result, horse will attack any creature regardless of distance to the horse, horse does not engage properly, nor does horse scale properly in regards to "gaining experience" while hunting.

Mode B = Grab horse from stable, face and engage the horse, retreat, leave the room, return to the room with horse. End result: Horse engages creatures properly, horse "gains experience" while hunting thereby improving it's ability in combat.

Now, another effect is. While the horse is in Mode A, the horse WILL attack creatures WHILE the Paladin is mounted on top of it.

While the in Mode B, the horse will NOT attack creatures while a Paladin is mounted on it. The horse will only fight while the Paladin is dismounted. (Later proven as not true by Airoza, stating that the horses will attack if you'er mounted but only after they're engaging the critter they're supposed to be attacking)

The Current state of things:

Ok, let me set it up, here is the beginning of my log, I'll set my observations in ()

l
[Vela'Tohr Woods, Blighted Tangle]
You notice some silver coins, some bronze coins, some silver coins, some bronze coins, some copper coins, a braided horsehair bracelet, ::a gold-colored horse::, some Donee Shag tobacco, a fat grub, a grimy marble pestle, a goat-meat potpie and some dried taffelberries.
Obvious paths: southwest, west.

(Everyone see the horsey)

>ass
You assess your combat situation...

>
(No horsey on assess)

(Begin attempting to set horse to Mode B as defined above)

>face horse
You face your horse.
>eng hors
You begin to advance on a gold-colored horse.
>ret
You stop advancing on a gold-colored horse.
>ass

You (solidly balanced) are facing a gold-colored horse (1) at missile range.
A gold-colored horse (1: solidly balanced) is facing you at missile range.
>w
You notice a rotting deadwood dryad.
Obvious paths: east, southeast, northwest.
>e
You notice some silver coins, some bronze coins, some silver coins, some bronze coins, some copper coins, a braided horsehair bracelet, a gold-colored horse, some Donee Shag tobacco, a fat grub, a grimy marble pestle, a goat-meat potpie and some dried taffelberries.
Obvious paths: southwest, west.
>ass

A gold-colored horse (1: solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.

(Good so far, horse is now showing up on assess, everything so far so good, horse should be engaging creatures properly soon as one comes in)

You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>prep how 20
You begin chanting a prayer to invoke the Holy Warrior spell.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast
You gesture.
You feel a change in the warm glow around you.
>
Glowing green eyes glare from the shadows just before a rotting deadwood dryad emerges from behind a tree with a baleful hiss.
>
The deadwood dryad begins to advance on you!
The deadwood dryad is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
>
The deadwood dryad closes to pole weapon range on you!
>
Moving well, a gold-colored horse slashes a razor-edged hoof at a rotting deadwood dryad. A rotting deadwood dryad dodges, moving cleanly out of the way.

(See how the horse attacked without engaging first?)

>ass

You (solidly balanced) are facing a rotting deadwood dryad (1) at pole weapon range.
A rotting deadwood dryad (1: solidly balanced) is advancing on you at pole weapon range.

(Poof, horse is gone from assess, and is defaulting to Mode A, now I spoke with a GM about this, if nothing else to check to see if the horse was in fact gaining combat experience. After we both came to the mutual understanding that the horse system is a unique, and wonky system, he did confirm that from a technical standpoint he doesn't see anything acting blatantly broken and that as far as he could tell the horse was gaining experience. I trust in this, have not seen a noticeable improvement in my horse yet, but she hasn't been out of the stables for long, I will keep people updated who are interested. Not that I doubt the GM who assisted me today, I just understand the current wonkiness of the horse system, and even though things may appear to be working properly at first glance, the moons may not be in the proper alignment for horses to do what they're supposed to do.)

~Player of Zaud/Koryn

http://sir-zaud.livejournal.com