Horse Combat 06/13/2006 08:35 AM CDT
Just a quick question. I hear Paladins can have horses fight alongside them. At what level can you do it? Can you buy a horse and have it trained at circle 1?

Kazat.
Re: Horse Combat 06/13/2006 09:25 AM CDT
Let me see if I remember this broken and pointless system well enough...

>I hear Paladins can have horses fight alongside them.

Its called fighting, actually its flailing around wildly waiting for you to halt whatever the horse is facing so the horse can kill it.

>At what level can you do it?

The horse is smarter than you. It can be taught everything it needs to know right out of the corral. Unfortunately, there are circle requirements for you (your character) to learn how to even get on the thing, never mind cast magic or load a bow while sitting on a horse.

>Can you buy a horse and have it trained at circle 1?

Why yes. Yes you can. You (your character again) however will not know which end to ride on or which end to feed at circle 1. We've lost a few 1st circlers who got that part backwards. I believe circle 20, as a Paladin, makes for a combat ready horse and character, given the right stablemaster instruction to the rider.

On a serious note, this site should answer alot of questions: http://dr.warcry.com/index.php/content/horses/horses
Re: Horse Combat 06/13/2006 09:35 AM CDT
Hmm, my memory is as dusty as my horse in the stables, but doesn't the horse fight by your side as well? While mounting and mounted fighting, spellcasting etc takes skill (circles), everyone should still be able to lead their horse to a hunting area, no? OR, do you need the basic horsemanship class to do that (and again no idea what circle you need to be to get that class)?

Lyonet
Re: Horse Combat 06/13/2006 11:14 AM CDT
From what I've seen so far, you can ride/lead a horse fine at any circle. You can't do the extras like fighting from horseback.

UDULOOR Sounds close to what I mean, can I lead/ride the horse to a hunting area then get off and watch it fight? I'd assume that's all down to the horse abilities rather than your circle or abilities...

I guess I'll have to try it somehow. Anyone got a horse with training to sell :P?
Re: Horse Combat 06/16/2006 10:19 PM CDT
You can watch it fight. Paladins do it all the time with friends in Willow Walk. Several empaths have gotten handily owned by a paladin's warhorse.

I guess that's not saying much, though. Similar to peeing on the grass and commenting about how much yellower it's gotten--you just can't tell.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Horse Combat 06/18/2006 02:50 PM CDT
Paladin horses really don't show noticable improvement in their combat skills.

They need to simply be based on their owner's combat skills and that's that.

Cavalier Calemnon, Knight of Therengia
Re: Horse Combat 06/18/2006 02:58 PM CDT
>They need to simply be based on their owner's combat skills and that's that.

That would be cool.

-Fuquois-

"I've been too rich in my words and too cheap in my wine."
-Wildebeeste
Re: Horse Combat 06/18/2006 08:28 PM CDT
Wake up guys. Horses are so dead.
Re: Horse Combat 06/21/2006 04:18 PM CDT
Ill kick it if i want to!!!

Yeah horses just werent any fun, For me anyway.

Tyden
Horse Combat (was Re: Horse Bonding) 08/14/2006 08:29 AM CDT
Renamed thread to address this point. Let the original thread go it's way.

>last person stated that there horse can't hit anything unless it stunned or halted, have you thought about getting a new horse?

My horse isn't broken, the system is.

Mine is an original 18 HH all-black horse with a small star from the El'Bain's premie stable. I'm not sure, but I beleive its a very rare all-black horse because I waited weeks at the stable to see a black one, never mind one with so little markings, and at full height.

It can mow through lower level creature even as unbalanced as it gets. I can't come close to using it at level without halting creatures, or on rare occasions when its stunned the horse gets a hit.

I've spent enough time with the flea-bag to get all the training available for it an myself, and the first 2 feats. This thing should be way better than it is. I know of one horse reported to be above par in combat; a warmage bought it at auction. I only know/knew of 2 horses that kicked ass after far more hours than I had already put it; Bistro and Candidus. I've heard of no other horse that comes close, but there may be some out there.

I'd estimate my horse time at over 200 hours. If the bond weakens over time from being stabled for so long, well then its just not worth the aggravation of using buggy horses, and simply typing pet horse every minute to build that back up unless the horse combos get fixed. The tack, travel, and group issues are a close second as my personal requirement befire I bother with them.

As with anything DR, I do expect to have to put some time in to get a reward, but the systems are advancing (combat for example), and horses are apparently NOT being addressed/updated. The fact that there is no dev/repair going on speaks volumes. The fact that there is no GM notice or posts in the appropriate folders is pretty loud as well. Its not like horses are new and fresh, and noone knows how broken they are, or that several huge issues with them aren't already well detailed and on someones 'todo' list. The fact remains there is noone reading the list.

Yeah, long winded. :P I wish this system was different/fixed, it is a Paladin perk to have war/combat after all. Too bad its so completely useless.
Re: Horse Combat (was Re: Horse Bonding) 08/14/2006 02:54 PM CDT
I'll add only that I've just purchased a horse along with my wife. We spent nearly 150 plat between training and tack and you know what I did about an hour after I got the darned thing? Stabled it. Sure, it helps in combat, but considering they can?t even get into 3 of the 4 hunting areas I use and knowing long term they are pretty worthless, I'm suddenly saddened by the massive waste of potential. Oh, and it's so wonderful no longer being able to group with my wife since we both own horses (assuming we actually wish to be mounted.)

So yes, Ill feed it, and give it a cleaning here or there. And sure I'll take it out when I reach a combat area it can join me in. But seriously, at least put a job posting up for volunteer work on the horse system. Who knows, some of us disappointed horse lovers might be willing to give a hand. (And yes, some of us are programmers by trade).

Soyan
Re: Horse Combat (was Re: Horse Bonding) 08/14/2006 10:36 PM CDT
I'm rather disappointed with the horse system currently.

It has so much potential, yet it needs so much work.

Cavalier Calemnon, Knight of Therengia
Horse Combat 101 02/10/2010 03:51 PM CST
anybody have a guide or want to write one for Paladins and horse combat? I always heard paladin can teach horses Advanced Combat but don't recall how true that was. Want to test it a bit but would like to learn the ins and outs first.

Dart, any chance we could squeak some Animal Lore out of it?
Re: Horse Combat 101 02/10/2010 04:04 PM CST
Don't want to put you off too much, but horse combat is really a PITA. There are some great posts in this folder on the bugs you have to use in order for it to work correctly.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Horse Combat 101 02/10/2010 07:31 PM CST
Wait...there are horses in DR that do more than just joust? Astounding!

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."