Bonding 02/13/2005 01:25 AM CST
Been away for awhile and never quiet found out how this works, and how long it takes. If anyone could shed some light for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Re: Bonding 02/14/2005 06:40 AM CST
<<
Been away for awhile and never quiet found out how this works, and how long it takes. If anyone could shed some light for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
>>

Takes a very very very long time. I don't think anyone has found out how bond works or how to make it bond quicker. But if you really wanna try for it exspect to backtrain or spend time with your horse for a good 5-7 months in a constant close relationship.
Re: Bonding 02/15/2005 03:32 AM CST
>Been away for awhile and never quiet found out how this works, and how long it takes. If >anyone could shed some light for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Took me a little under 4 weeks to reach the first bonded level (Charge). Then again, I'm on a heck of a lot since I play at work.

DeLiber Oppresso-Hedeon
House Hedeon

'The man who must brag for himself knows that no one else will.' -Robin Hobb
Re: Bonding 02/16/2005 02:01 PM CST
No point trying to bond till you can learn mounted combat huh? A friend gave me a horse but i can't even learn how to prepare spells from horseback yet. Stablemaster said i wasn't ready.

Richard
Re: Bonding and other answers 04/11/2005 10:17 AM CDT

Sorry for the late reply. Just a few months. Heh

Bonding seems to be very much involved with grooming. Just as a bard bonds with their instrument by cleaning it.

However I do believe that there are some things that might hurt the process of making the bond. Once the bond is fully established (you have both bond moves), I do not believe you can backslide. At least I have not noticed any loss of bond.

Although this is only vague impressions since there is really no way to tell positively. Something I would like to see programed into horses in the future, as well as being able to tell what skills the horse knows.

You should try to remain in contact with the horse. Meaning you do not have to approach it. You should also not allow it to go hungry. If it gets hungry (which you can tell when you study it), just make sure you feed it right away.

Part of what you will likely want to do is train it up in combat. And you can get the bond without knowing mounted combat. You just can not use the Charge move until you reach 20th circle and can learn Mounted combat.

When training it in combat, make sure it does not get to the point where it is Trembling. Or at any other time for that matter, but it is much more likely during extended combat.

When a horse is Trembling, it has reached it highest level of aggitation and need a rest. This also might mean that it is just tired. Or upset. Explain it how you will.

But once it is trembling, no amount of care will get it to stop. The only recourse is to stable it. Due to the stable mechanics, it will be in the stable at least an hour.

Our other abilities with horses are Prep, Joust, and Mount.

Prep and Joust are both gained at 25th.

Mount is gained somewhere between 25th and 30th. And Mount is a great ability for it allows us to mount a horse while we are at melee range on a foe.

Hope this helps.

~ Salute ~

Candidus

Quarel says, "And...."

Quarel gets a hot babe from inside his hip pouch.

Quarel gives a hot babe a hug!

Quarel puts his babe in his hip pouch.
Horse Bonding 08/12/2006 07:58 AM CDT
Incomming Horse Questions! Duck and Cover!

So, I've gone somewhat insane and have decided to take up a little project, in regards to a system I would love to see turn into something truly wonderful and beneficial, so I'm doing a bit of information gathering. It's been quite a long time since I've messed with the mount system so here are a few questions I need answered:

1) What benefits, if any, are there to the bond a Paladin can develop with a horse? This includes supposed benefits that do not function due to bugs. Please mark supposed benefits that are not working due to bugs.

2) How does one know, or check what level of bond they have with their mount? Please again, include any and all known bugs, or suspected bugs.

3) Aside from the boot/tack bug, where if you get booted and your horse is returned to the nearest stable missing all tack, automatically getting dismounted upon departing a ferry, being dismounted upon a successful backstab and some small typo messaging issues in the combat system for horses, what other known bugs are out there? Please be as specific as possible.

4) Aside from "War" what other benefits do Paladins enjoy over any other guild when it comes to horses? I've heard rumor (note, RUMORS) of a bonus to mounted combat (Which I've yet to prove), as well as bonuses to jousting (Again, I've yet to prove aside from our armor hinderance with HP, but not really a true "jousting" bonus.)

Thanks guys, hopefully after I finish gathering some information it won't take too long before I've got it resembling coherent thought. Also, please sign your posts with your characters name if you wish to recieve a nod of appreciation for assisting with the information gathering process, I will not be held responsible for death threats, migranes, or other neurological disfunctions that may occur due to your willingness to think about the horse system.

~ Player of Zaud (Plat)
Re: Horse Bonding 08/12/2006 09:08 AM CDT
>1) What benefits, if any, are there to the bond a Paladin can develop with a horse?

None. I suppose one might consider the 2 known horse feats a benefit of the bond, however the time required to accomopish these 2 'known' feats makes the reward a little pale.

>2) How does one know, or check what level of bond they have with their mount?

None. Again, supposedly the time between rub/touch/cuddle increases as as the bond grows... watching grass grow is faster.

>what other known bugs are out there? Please be as specific as possible.

The entire horse system is one huge bug. The ship system (coded by the same guy) has had more dev, questions answered, GM involvement and assistance, and actual interest. Matter of fact, snake-charms and fest crickets are more useful.

Save yourself the headaches. There is no GM working on horses. One steps up and announces they are every now and then collects all the same ideas for improvement and repair, but then they disapear. Coincidence? I think not.
Re: Horse Bonding 08/12/2006 10:27 AM CDT
Welp, now that the obligatory, don't waste your time post has been thrown up, still welcoming answers to the above questions. Call me twisted, or what have you, but I enjoy wasting my time, and am looking for informative posts. I'm well aware of the current horse system and its quirks, faults and downright useless nature. So, start that information flowin folks.

~Z
Re: Horse Bonding 08/12/2006 11:37 AM CDT
>>1) What benefits, if any, are there to the bond a Paladin can develop with a horse? This includes supposed benefits that do not function due to bugs. Please mark supposed benefits that are not working due to bugs.

At this time, the only supposed benefit to successfully achieving the horse bond is the ability to "charge" i.e "signal horse to charge", appears.

>>2) How does one know, or check what level of bond they have with their mount? Please again, include any and all known bugs, or suspected bugs.

What I got from Candidus, the first Paladin I know of to achieve the bond is "you know you have the bond when you type SIGNAL HORSE" and see the charge option there.

>>3) Aside from the boot/tack bug, where if you get booted and your horse is returned to the nearest stable missing all tack, automatically getting dismounted upon departing a ferry, being dismounted upon a successful backstab and some small typo messaging issues in the combat system for horses, what other known bugs are out there? Please be as specific as possible.

One that I discovered is that if you leave your horse outside the Gate of Souls (since you can't fit the horse through the tunnel to get in there), when you come back out, the horse is GONE. And you have to go to the stable to RETURN HORSE and it arrives without the tack. The GM I got when I assisted on this returned my tack to me and noted the bug but I don't know that anything has been done to fix it.

>>4) Aside from "War" what other benefits do Paladins enjoy over any other guild when it comes to horses? I've heard rumor (note, RUMORS) of a bonus to mounted combat (Which I've yet to prove), as well as bonuses to jousting (Again, I've yet to prove aside from our armor hinderance with HP, but not really a true "jousting" bonus.)

As for a "bonus to mounted combat", my experience is exactly the opposite. Spells cast while mounted, or attacks with mundane weapons while mounted appear to suffer from a penalty actually, not a bonus. I hit better and cast better if I'm standing NEXT to the horse, than I do if I'm mounted. I've not noticed a jousting bonus other than the fact that jousting success appears to take plate ranks, hinderance, and shield ranks into account and we usually are better in those areas. But its not a guarantee. One of the Jousting tournaments had a Mage as second place winner in his division, beating out multiple paladins in the same division.

Again, like Slaris' said, I'm so disappointed in the horse system and its lack of development that I've put my horse in the stables and haven't taken him out in almost 3 years now. I'm going to hate to see the stabling/feed bills if and when I ever do get him out again.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Horse Bonding 08/12/2006 11:48 AM CDT
>Welp, now that the obligatory, don't waste your time post has been thrown up

Apologies. I wasted a great deal of time trying to use this system, only to see nothing ever get done.

>and am looking for informative posts.

I truthfully, and accurately answered questions #1 and 2.

If your looking for information regarding traveling groups (lack therof), places horses can't go, tack issues I'd suggest reading the horse folder in Abilities, Skills, and Magic folder.

There is absolutely no benefit to a warhorse above and beyond the horse system itself. The bond state is completely obfuscated, except when a new feat obtained. There are 2 or 3, I forget.

Bugs? The best one we had, that actually made horses slightly useful as a warhorse was to face the horse at some point during combat, and it was relatively better. This was because the player combat and creature combat was so different, facing it put it into player mode.

More bugs? Every combat combo in the game was adjusted except for horses by omission or error except for horses. For some unknown reason, horses have to fight at retarded levels of balance; again, they might actually be useful if they could hit something not halted or stunned.

Bug/feature? I think its cool... take your horse to wind hounds and similar creatures. Good times.
Re: Horse Bonding 08/14/2006 07:42 AM CDT
haven't read all this post but there was one but that caught my eye, last person stated that there horse can't hit anything unless it stunned or halted, have you thought about getting a new horse? i've had mine since they came about and he helps me alot when he comes hunting with me, 9/10 times he killed the creature before it's got to me
Bonding 01/22/2009 11:05 AM CST
I heard something about a Paladin bonding to a horse. How does that work?
Horse Bonding question 07/14/2010 07:11 AM CDT
Was looking thru posts and saw a post that said noone has bond level two yet. Was curious if it has changed yet? and what bond 2 might be.

Also its only paladins that get some type of bond correct? Im a ranger but spend a lot of time with horses. hunting training etc. I would like to see more bonds then just paladins, and i agree from someone post that mounted attacks should have some bonus.

Mounted Combatant and Cavalry horse trainer
Re: Horse Bonding question 07/19/2010 05:59 PM CDT
I believe that bonding is a paladin only thing, and I've heard of someone who did have the second bond level. Not sure the count of how many people have it.

Cheers