Glyph Enrage 06/20/2018 08:25 PM CDT
Hello! I had a brainstorm recently, and wondered if something like this might fit into the upcoming paladin rewrite. Paladins often have some serious problems at-level doing damage at range because we lack a native ranged buff spell. Grapple helps a lot, but there are plenty of spells and abilities available to every guild that break grapple with no skill/stat contest at all (halo, suplex, etc), and also some abilties granted by items or moon mage and thief guildmasters that break grapple and instantly teleport the user to range. Khri vanish does this instantly while both whole displacement and khri intimidate pulse this effect. In a game where advancing to melee takes 12 seconds or so while retreating to range is instant, and in the name of balance, I would like to propose a paladin ability that instantly teleports to melee, and pulses this effect. We could call it "Enrage" and it could be a debil spell or glyph with the contest of, say, charm or fear vs will. A glyph would take away a long prep time in favor of a cooldown or something, though a spell could work as well.

While we're at it, how about making smite ignore shield and evasion, lol?
Re: Glyph Enrage 06/20/2018 08:41 PM CDT
This would be great. I'd settle for something like an unhidden khri shadowstep, which basically teleports you to pole range, so you're only advancing from pole to melee and not missile to pole to melee.
Re: Glyph Enrage 06/22/2018 01:47 AM CDT
I love the enrage concept. This is a constant issue in PVP, hadn't really thought about how it takes time to engage but no time to retreat. Definitely a disadvantage for our guild in particular because of the lack of range buffs, perception tert, etc... And yeah, when one finally manages to wrangle an elusive player into grapple, a simple suplex (that I've never seen fail) breaks the lock and provides the opportunity to escape. Pulsing direct to melee and/or pole would be great, perhaps the distance you close could depend some sort of logic, so it isn't always one or the other. Perhaps whatever the formula is thats used to affect if CRC prevents retreating?
Re: Glyph Enrage 06/22/2018 09:18 AM CDT
There are a bunch of tricks to getting out of grapple. I've tested with a relatively low circle character against my 1k+ skill paladin. There are also 101 ways to get and stay away. I can see the reasons for them in a PvE context, but they ruin PvP. I can give a "cheese" mechanic vs paladins for every guild, and they're tactics I faced regularly, not just napkin notes for which it's easy to say, "Nobody will use this in practice." Most of them are tactics to keep the fight at missile while whittling down the paladin. The only counter we have sometimes is a lucky/well-timed shatter-throw every minute and a half or so (usually longer due to setup/chasing/searching), which doesn't do nearly enough damage to end a fight even if damage wards are down. If you can get to melee, you waste around half of your disabler in engagement time, and subsequent SFs/Halts are diminished so you have to wait.