Holy Weapon as a Ritual Ability 05/15/2016 12:16 PM CDT
If/when (hopefully when) holy weapons are rewritten, it would be great if they functioned more like warmages' summon weapon, just without the weapon... summoning part. So, I'm thinking it could work as follows:

• At the end of the Holy weapon quest, rather than placing a holy weapon at the altar, you pray at the altar (I don't think this is spoiling anything...). In other words, you're forged with the ability to create a holy weapon at this point rather than your weapon being forged with it.
• With the quest, you learn glyph renew and the ability to create a basic holy weapon (what we've got now). You can create your holy weapon at any Chadatru altar by performing a ritual that drains you of soul juice and vitality and adds a death's sting-like debuff. Because the process bonds you to the weapon, you can't make more than one at a time.
• If you want to change your holy weapon, you can go to any Chadatru altar and release your current holy weapon and then perform the ritual on another weapon, or perform a different ritual on the same weapon.
• Holy weapons no longer have charges. Instead, they grow with the user until they reach full power (blinding with holy power). Using a holy icon now eases the holy weapon creation process by eliminating the vit hit and sting.

This seems like it doesn't change much, but I think it does. Now, you have a system that supports different holy weapons and enhances an ability that's very unique to this guild. It also sounds less complex than what the current holy weapon system is, and eliminating unnecessary complexity is usually a good thing.

What sorts of different holy weapons? Well, maybe at 75th circle, you get the ability to create a defensive holy weapon that adds some parry abilities (arrow/thrown parry again, please) and a counter-attack. Maybe at 100th circle, you become strong enough to create the same "holy" bond with a shield as well as a weapon. This runs in line with my thought that paladins should have a strong focus on augmenting their armaments.
Re: Holy Weapon as a Ritual Ability 05/15/2016 06:37 PM CDT
So far this seems pretty cool. I like the holy shield. And the general armament concept.

I wonder how complex the change-over would be by code.

I'm a little lost with the 'grows with user' vs. have charges?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: Holy Weapon as a Ritual Ability 05/15/2016 09:06 PM CDT
>I'm a little lost with the 'grows with user' vs. have charges?

Holy weapons have a limited number of charges, which are burned with each attack. One common complaint is that people don't use their holy weapons very often because they don't want to "waste" charges (I'm in this category). Secondly, if you aren't near a Chadatru altar, it can be a real pain to recharge. Finally, the more charges you have on your weapon, the stronger it is, which means its strongest after a recharge and weakens as you use it. Instead, I think it should start weak and get stronger with use up to come cap based on soul strength, and I don't think it should need to be recharged.