Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/23/2016 10:49 PM CDT
So I've been playing around on my mostly untouched since 3.0 Paladin this last week and I've noticed a few things that I thought I'd bring up that I think could use a bit of help. These are beyond talking about the vague class identity and other talks going on which I fully support and am interested in.

*Lead: Lead is a pretty decent group cooldown but wow is it limited. Between having to be in melee, having to be in a group, and having to be leader of said group you really don't get to use it that often. It is a bit stronger than any single spell, but requires a spell to be active to get the full effect anyways so it is more of a spell adjacent ability than a stand alone. It would be nice if we changed it to Bolster and removed the requirement of being leader just because sometimes in RP events or invasions you follow someone else and then you can't get any effect from this.

*Group Buffs: I know Paladins are spell tertiary but for a class that seems to keep being pushed towards "group" combat and helping others, almost every buff a paladin has it self cast only. In the 3.0 buff homogenization really kind of killed some Paladin "neatness". I remember how awesome it was when a Paladin came into the infirmary and offered to cast Courage for everyone, everyone wanted it but now everyone pretty much can buff stamina so that iconic impact doesn't exist.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/23/2016 11:10 PM CDT
I'd like to see all paladin augmentation and warding spells castable on anyone else. Contingent upon where paladins are going in the nebulous future, I'd also like to see ANY non-sig sorcerous warding and augmentation spells castable on others also castable by paladins (on others). There a good number of spells which can be cast on yourself sorcerously, but not upon other targets. Maybe what I'd rather see is a magical feat for doing so; which paladins get for free.

I'd also like to see D2 and D3 style paladin auras.

(disclosure: I don't play a paladin)

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/24/2016 01:13 AM CDT
As a rule of thumb we're moving towards augmentation spells being castable on others unless there's a strong mechanical or thematic reason not to.

Warding is the reverse - by default we don't want these spells cast on others, though there will be exceptions.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/24/2016 02:23 AM CDT
>>DR-Raesh: As a rule of thumb we're moving towards augmentation spells being castable on others unless there's a strong mechanical or thematic reason not to.

I would love this.

>>DR-Raesh: Warding is the reverse - by default we don't want these spells cast on others, though there will be exceptions.

Is the plan still to limit characters to having one ward and one barrier up each? If so, why make most of them self-cast? I could understand the concern if we're still allowing people to stack multiple wards, but if you can only have one, it doesn't seem like such a big deal whether I cast one of my own wards or borrow one from a friend.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just curious what the rationale is if we are limiting the number of such spells you can have in effect.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/24/2016 02:30 AM CDT
>>Is the plan still to limit characters to having one ward and one barrier up each?

Yes, though there are a lot of warding spells which are neither of those (SvS and Integrity barriers being the most common).

>>If so, why make most of them self-cast?

It gets messy and causes tactics we don't like. Say you're going to light someone up with a fireball so you intentionally put a ward on them that's weak to fire that either overwrites their existing barrier or prevents them from putting up the proper barrier.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/24/2016 03:05 AM CDT
>>DR-Raesh: It gets messy and causes tactics we don't like. Say you're going to light someone up with a fireball so you intentionally put a ward on them that's weak to fire that either overwrites their existing barrier or prevents them from putting up the proper barrier.

Would it be possible to make it require the target's consent?

"Isharon is trying to cast Manifest Force on you. Type ACCEPT SPELL within the next 20 seconds to allow it."

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/24/2016 08:47 AM CDT
>>Casting wards on others

I really like this idea (with approval from recipient). I think it would encourage interaction with other players, given the inherent differences in capabilities in different warding spells. I could absolutely envision my squishy Moon Mage swinging by the Paladin guild to try to get Shield Wall or Mettle.

~Kashik
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/24/2016 09:38 AM CDT
>*Lead: Lead is a pretty decent group cooldown but wow is it limited. Between having to be in melee, having to be in a group, and having to be leader of said group you really don't get to use it that often. It is a bit stronger than any single spell, but requires a spell to be active to get the full effect anyways so it is more of a spell adjacent ability than a stand alone. It would be nice if we changed it to Bolster and removed the requirement of being leader just because sometimes in RP events or invasions you follow someone else and then you can't get any effect from this.

I agree and hope lead gets rewritten or rebalanced to be useful without a large-ish group even if it means changing the name. I think there's totally room for a lead-type ability that's usable solo and buffs more things as more people are grouped with the paladin. For instance, maybe solo it boosts charisma. Then, add one member and you get a DF buff and the third adds OF. Fourth person adds an intimidation debuff. Maybe you could throw in group anti-stun and anti-immobilize for the fifth for the final effect. Could even add some minor stat buffs for an additional effect.

Rather than making the new lead ability's potency scale based on group size, its potency should scale with soul stat so can actually see it doing something even when you can't get a large group for geographic, timing or other reasons. I also think adding a paladin to the group should enhance the ability's effects, even if it's only a couple of percentage points (up to some cap).

Something like that would really make people want to join a paladin when invasions strike. It would also give paladins a reason to use it even if they choose to enforce justice over on Kresh.

>*Group Buffs: I know Paladins are spell tertiary but for a class that seems to keep being pushed towards "group" combat and helping others, almost every buff a paladin has it self cast only. In the 3.0 buff homogenization really kind of killed some Paladin "neatness". I remember how awesome it was when a Paladin came into the infirmary and offered to cast Courage for everyone, everyone wanted it but now everyone pretty much can buff stamina so that iconic impact doesn't exist.

Definitely agree here, too. Paladins' group orientation was a factor in my decision to roll a paladin again after my initial failed attempt. I think Courage's rebalancing probably impacted its desirability among other guilds more than the other magic changes/additions. Old Courage was awesome. So was old Smite and Smite Foe (pre-TM).
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/26/2016 12:50 AM CDT

Is there any chance of updating the duration or stacking ability on spells? Not to cross games, but GSIV has 4 hours buffs and they still feel short during events. DR buffs seem double penalized, both more costly and time consuming to cast and much more limited in duration even at maximum cast. I don't think anyone finds it fun to try and cast thousands of mana of spells and having to redo it all 20 minutes later.

Lead also seems to have a very limited duration, which I don't understand. It's most often used in events that are very chaotic, but it wears off because? I think it should be a passive like teaching and stay up until it pulses and you are no longer in combat or no longer grouped.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/26/2016 01:26 AM CDT
>>I don't think anyone finds it fun to try and cast thousands of mana of spells and having to redo it all 20 minutes later.

I remember seeing this in another thread recently, but similar to there it's worth asking: are you supposed to cast that many buffs at once? What if we're looking at an intentional feature, not a big, where we're discouraged from having more than X buffs up at once explicitly by it being too much work to do past a certain point.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/26/2016 01:40 AM CDT

I'm not sure, but it feels like there should be a progression. What is the point of spell and feat decisions if we only use a few of them for learning?

I have quite a few buffs that I never cast, it's simply not worth the hassle. I actually never buff in combat, although I would like to. I would like to be excited about getting a new spell, but I'm not, because I won't use it. because it's too much hassle to keep it running with such short duration's.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/26/2016 01:43 PM CDT
>>we're discouraged from having more than X buffs up at once explicitly by it being too much work to do past a certain point.

Maybe, but if you look at the results, it tends to be that people feel the need to cast them all and just suffer through it hating the system. If we're all going to do it no matter what, it would be nice if things were rebalanced so that it wouldn't be so painful (either faster casting or, my preference, longer durations).

And besides, I've never felt in combat like I had so many buffs that the critters were just too easy. Even with buffs I'm still often squeaking by to get the exp I need. Maybe that changes at higher levels though, or with different guilds.

- Navesi
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/26/2016 08:48 PM CDT
>Maybe, but if you look at the results, it tends to be that people feel the need to cast them all and just suffer through it hating the system. If we're all going to do it no matter what, it would be nice if things were rebalanced so that it wouldn't be so painful (either faster casting or, my preference, longer durations)

^ This

I'd love it if most buffs capped around 30 mana and had battle spell prep time for the full 40 minute duration. In that world, Dispel would not only remove a spell, but prevent it from being recast for a few minutes. If the problem is that we're not expected to hold all our buffs, then there'd also be a hard cap on the spells we can keep up (e.g. "You find you can't muster the concentration required to further augment yourself") based on slot cost rather than a soft cap that just makes it a chore to spell up entirely.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/26/2016 09:03 PM CDT
I cast and maintain all buffs in combat without any issue on all my characters, even adding in all of the non-combat ones for training. But I completely script it, so it's just something that happens as part of my regular combat training and doesn't require me to actively think about. If I were to do that manually I definitely think I would rapidly lose patience with it, and would edit which buffs I used. I certainly wouldn't use the non-combat ones.

Also, I actually like the short-ish durations since it helps keep magics moving by just casting buffs as needed making training more natural and intuitive. I find that as I start getting longer durations on my buffs my incidental magic learning during combat really slows down.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/28/2016 01:20 PM CDT
Ability to script all the buffs should be more reason than any other to take a look at duration's. I'm not saying scripting is bad and it is almost required for ease of use throughout the game, but in this instance it gives someone who scripts a direct advantage over someone who does not, even between 2 people with the same skills. I can't think of anyone who could actively juggle 12+ buffs in combat that last less than 40 minutes each and still be able to do anything else, but this is easily accomplished with scripting. If duration's were extended it would be much easier and less frustrating to keep up with for the average user.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/28/2016 01:26 PM CDT

I say 40 minutes as the cap below, but I have the magic skills of a 150-155th circle Paladin and I can only cast buffs for 10-30 minutes depending on spell difficulty.

What if we got a duration bonus from primary magic or the field that governs the spell such as augmentation?
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/28/2016 01:28 PM CDT

Or a symbiosis to triple the duration, I could cast a more difficult and lesser powered buff that would last 3x as long
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/28/2016 01:52 PM CDT
This already exists by way of spell stance to a not insignificant degree. You can vary potency, integrity, and duration by as much as a 60% difference by sacrificing one for another. I regularly set integrity to 70% and duration to 130% for any spells with annoying cast mechanics like rituals or spells which stun you on cast, for example.
Re: Paladin Suggestions from an Altoholic 03/28/2016 05:37 PM CDT
>>Allizar2012: Ability to script all the buffs should be more reason than any other to take a look at duration's. I'm not saying scripting is bad and it is almost required for ease of use throughout the game, but in this instance it gives someone who scripts a direct advantage over someone who does not, even between 2 people with the same skills. I can't think of anyone who could actively juggle 12+ buffs in combat that last less than 40 minutes each and still be able to do anything else, but this is easily accomplished with scripting. If duration's were extended it would be much easier and less frustrating to keep up with for the average user.

There are very few aspects of the game where a player with a well-written script doesn't have a big advantage over someone playing manually or with less robust scripts.

I'm not saying that spell durations shouldn't be reexamined (I find the 2-10 duration of battle spells mostly useless in PvE), just that attempting to level the playing field between power scripters and "average users" should not be the driving factor. (Creating parity between these two user groups is likely not even a viable goal.)