Glyphs 03/12/2013 09:59 PM CDT
Here is an old post I found. Maybe some usable ideas for Paladin 3.0?

Category: Paladins -- Path of the Paladin
Topic: Holy Glyphs
Author: Zoha (DRAGONREALMS)
Posted: Feb 12, 1998 19:55:42

Here is the list as it appears on the first 'final' list. It's in order of how I'd anticipate them being introduced and in order of how valuable they might be. Aura is the top dog as it has to potential to be a truly neat glyph.

I anticipate the next list to be final. On this list I'd like to see comments on the positioning of a glyph in the list, the costs (if they are too much, too little or need additonal types of cost or fewer costs) and other specifics.

In particular the costs and prerequisites could use some careful examination.

At the end of next week I plan to have the first glyph on the list coded and ready. Sometime early in March it and the associated quest will be ready.

This brings me to the last item. I dont' know if there should be a quest for each glyph but most probably should have some quest associated with them. I'd like some brief suggestions for quests. They should be fairly simple at the lower glyphs and perhaps more complex at the higher glyphs and expressed in a paragraph or two or in less than 5 bullet points for the simpler quests and no more than 10 for the most complex.

Zoha

The Semi-Final List

Glyph of Bonding (ROLEPLAYER) Returns a weapon dropped to the hand of the player who dropped it, even dead players.

Glyph of Light Creates a magical light source in the room.

Glyph of Mana When traced, the glyph seeks out the highest source of mana outside the current room and acts as a conduit for the Mana in that room into the the Mana of the room the Paladin is in. Anyone may harness the extra power normally as long as they are joined to the Paladin. Too many harnessing too much power can damage the Paladin's nervous system.

Glyph of Justice (GREHOLVERD) When traced on a thief caught trying to steal, it marks the thief and makes it easier for the victim to accuse them. If the Paladin accompanies the victim to the guard house, it will bolster the chance of a successful accusation if the Paladin has a good reputation.

A thief who logs before the glyph fades will lose the amount stollen which will return to the owner's pockets. Charisma is a very important factor in the success of this glyph.

Glyph of Holiness When traced successfully over a person, weapon or armor, it makes them holy. It causes weapons to do more damage to undead and strengthens armor against damage from the undead. On characters it helps protect against spirit damage. After a time, the glyph wears off the item. How clean the soul is determines how long the glyph will last.

Glyph of Yielding (TESLA) Forces target to drop graverobbed items. A very successful trace will cause the items to move back to their owner.

Glyph of Sight Increases perception by a large amount for a brief moment. Discipline determines how long it lasts. Charisma determines how much it will increase.

Glyph of Honor Makes it more difficult for people in the room to do dishonorable things like engaging while hidden/invisible, targeting while hidden/invisible, stealing, attacking others without a proper challenge, stalking and hiding. May attract guards to the area of well known criminals are present. It may tag dishonorable people with a mark that's visible to all.

Glyph of Praise (POLIORCETES) Give an air of righteousness presence to the person glyphed, raising their charisma for a time. Amount raised depends on glypher's charisma and time spent concentrating.

Glyph of Aura (SHAMUZ) When traced successfully it allows the tracer to increase his presence in the mind of the target, keeping the target from doing one or more of the following: advancing on tracer, advancing on anyone, attacking tracer, attacking anyone, cause target to back away to range, cause target to flee in fear of the tracer.

There may be other effects such as the tracer may be able to force the target to drop their weapon or return their weapon to their sheath or the target or tracer receiving nervous system damage as they duel for control.

The success of this glyph is based on all factors of a Paladin: soul, charisma and discipline. The tracer must maintain discipline throughout or the glyph will fail. Any action beyond maintaining the glyph may cause it to fail. The level of agressiveness and intelligence of a creature increases the glyphs difficulty. Multiple targets of the glyph will split the effect. Re-animated undead are generally immune.
_________

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.