Deity 'mini spec' 01/07/2013 06:34 PM CST
As 'divine warriors' I think it would be interesting if there were some mechanism by which paladins could choose a deity other than Chadatru and see some tangible impact from that choice. For example, my paladin has always worshiped Damaris and lets say if you choose to worship...

Damaris: you don't take a soul hit from using stealth in combat.
Urrem'Tier: You don't take a soul hit from killing another player.
Kertigen: You get a bonus to perception if someone is trying to steal from you.
Faenella: You get a bonus to damaging undead, or maybe your weapons as an extension of your faith always act as blessed
Meraud: Possibly some sort of bonus to magic in general or magical devices like spell scrolls and cambrinth.

These are just a few suggestions off the top of my head and are no way meant to seem concrete. It's simply an idea that could use a lot of fleshing out. I've always just found it irritating that my character would be punished for using tactics that Damaris would no doubt approve of. There is also the issue of soul state not being recognized by the guild i.e. being able to level even if you have a ton of stealing ranks. If the paladin code of ethics is no longer being watched by the guild and is some sort of internal mechanism, this would be in line with that.
Re: Deity 'mini spec' 01/07/2013 06:50 PM CST
I love this idea. I have always not liked the fact that despite being holy warriors, we are more or less tied to Chadatru as far as flavor and religion really go. I would far prefer to see something similar to what clerics get but in our own flavor, and break up the single focus we have on ONE god instead of all of the immortals.
Re: Deity 'mini spec' 01/07/2013 08:32 PM CST
>>As 'divine warriors' I think it would be interesting if there were some mechanism by which paladins could choose a deity other than Chadatru and see some tangible impact from that choice.

I'm not crazy about this idea. It feels to me like it distinctly changes the guild's lore and RP. And, from a purely mechanics point of view, why would anyone pick a god other than Urrem'tier, if that will negate the soul hit for killing other players?

Casserah
Re: Deity 'mini spec' 01/07/2013 08:35 PM CST
I believe the specifics provided are just..ideas. I dont personally think ANY diety bonus should focus on PvP. Nor do i think we should ever be anything other than knightly, but I do think the general lack of any other god in our overall RP is a bit of a short coming.

We are defenders and leaders of men, that should NEVER be blemished. That said every god has good aspects that we can look at for inspirations for our paladins, and that having some system around would be nice.

More the core concept, less the specifics.
Re: Deity 'mini spec' 01/07/2013 08:45 PM CST
When I read that first post, it felt to me like a statement of "I don't care for the mechanics of this guild and want them to be more like Clerics." Which frankly makes me question why the poster picked Paladins over Clerics in the first place.

While the guild doesn't require sole worship of Chadatru, the fact that he plays such a major role in the guild is a basic aspect of the guild's Code. Saying you're tired of Paladins focusing on the deity of justice doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Yes, Paladins are holy warriors, but they are protectors of the innocent and seekers of justice and so on as well. This sort of thing would require a massive rewriting of the guild's lore, which would be one I would deeply regret.
Re: Deity 'mini spec' 01/07/2013 09:33 PM CST
I think maybe your taking my words to an extreme that im not intending.

Paladins are Holy Warriors, and our lore basically revolves around one god. I would like the introduction of other dieties to happen, organically if possible. I never said our patron diety should cease being our patron diety, or that we should become anything other than the protectors of men or beacons of justice; however I do not think the positive aspects of the other gods clash with the ideas of Chadatru, and its hard to be a warrior of the gods (plural) when our focus is so squarely on one.

This isnt a major sore point for me, but I would like the idea of being a Paladin dedicated to another god being a little more supported. I have no expectation this will ever happen however (just so we are on the same page).
Re: Deity 'mini spec' 01/08/2013 10:58 AM CST
Back a few years ago there was what I was taking to be an event that was going to change up both Paladins lore and also give them an ability to 'aspect', at least that was how I was reading between the lines. Sadly Dart got pulled off into other projects and no other GM seemed to follow it through, I'm still hoping its going to be a big part of after 3.0.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.