Arcana Knight 05/13/2014 08:41 AM CDT

Paladin Title: Arcana Knight

Must Own A Horse
Armor Skill 300
Shield Skill 300
Sorcery 300
Arcana 300
Re: Arcana Knight 05/13/2014 10:15 PM CDT

Learning Sorcery is kinda one of those "Don't do it" things for paladins. I wouldn't expect to see a reward of title for learning it. The could do Arcane Knight and have it relate to other magical abilities though.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/13/2014 10:58 PM CDT

Its not encouraged but it doesn't offend the gods at all. I was sure to make sure Sylv would be still well in the Light if he studied the skill and it turns out he is. Its part of his family background, too.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 09:29 AM CDT
No. Little S sorcery is not an Afront to the gods.

Big S is. There's a difference no matter how many times Elf says there is not, and it's especially telling when Armifer says there is and you ignore him.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 09:58 AM CDT
Sorcery the skill is dubious but not unholy. It simply prepares someone to act in an unholy way if they choose to stumble down the path. It's a bit like training in breaking and entering; a lot of people who do it aren't doing you any favors, but you probably want firefighters to be decent at it too.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 11:11 AM CDT

I like that comparison. Sylvaeus trains the skill to be more prepared to perform his duties- say if he has to fight some monster that can only be harmed by fire well then he can use a fire shard rune or something like that. I wanted the title to express a knight that studies both mundane and magical weapons.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 11:40 AM CDT
<<Sorcery the skill is dubious but not unholy. It simply prepares someone to act in an unholy way if they choose to stumble down the path. It's a bit like training in breaking and entering; a lot of people who do it aren't doing you any favors, but you probably want firefighters to be decent at it too.>>

Couldn't the same be said about the thievery skill? Knowledge of how to do it helps protect one from actually being stolen from. Yet we as Paladins are not allowed to learn it, even in classes. To build on your firefighter example: I want my police to understand theft protection. Not that Paladins are police. I'm just sayin...

As far as sorcery is concerned. There is nothing wrong with sorcery. It has been said over and over. There is something wrong with Sorcery. I just wish such understanding were consistent across the board (i.e., thievery).

--Just a Squire
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 11:41 AM CDT
>>Couldn't the same be said about the thievery skill? Knowledge of how to do it helps protect one from actually being stolen from.

It hasn't since Zeyurn's old rewrite of stealing, as far as I'm aware.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 02:10 PM CDT
<<It hasn't since Zeyurn's old rewrite of stealing, as far as I'm aware.>>

Ahh well, leave for a decade and see what happens?

--Just a Squire
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 06:44 PM CDT

Do you think the title is a bad idea, Armifer?
Re: Arcana Knight 05/14/2014 07:32 PM CDT
>>Do you think the title is a bad idea, Armifer?

I think my opinion on titles doesn't actually matter, that much. It's a little strange focus wise for a Paladin title, but it's not a bad idea in and of itself.

-Armifer
Re: Arcana Knight 05/17/2014 12:11 AM CDT
>>Big S is. There's a difference no matter how many times Elf says there is not, and it's especially telling when Armifer says there is and you ignore him.

Immortals only care about a particular subset of Sorcery.

For whatever reason, the Immortals could care less about Moon Mages exploding the web of fate.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/17/2014 02:25 PM CDT
Personally I think this title is more appropriate to warrior mages given their current titles like Knight Magister and Arcane Lord. Having said that I also think that Warrior Mages really should't have a monopoly on the arcane xxx titles anymore. I say this because arcane now applies to any non-mainstream magic and the only two guilds who are currently able to cast arcane magic are Necromancers and Moon Mages (although Hylomorphic sorcery is planned). As a result one could argue that this title could be a general magic title.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/17/2014 10:08 PM CDT

Alright, I'll pose this a different way, then: What would you folks call a paladin that learns sorcery and arcana to a high degree and carries many magical items around along with his/her weapons and armor?
Re: Arcana Knight 05/17/2014 10:10 PM CDT
>>What would you folks call a paladin that learns sorcery and arcana to a high degree and carries many magical items around along with his/her weapons and armor?

I think Arcane Knight works fine, honestly.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/18/2014 01:55 AM CDT
<<>>What would you folks call a paladin that learns sorcery and arcana to a high degree and carries many magical items around along with his/her weapons and armor?>>

Lennon Fruvous =P

Seriously though, I too think Arcane Knight is fine.

--Just a Squire
Re: Arcana Knight 05/18/2014 08:09 AM CDT

It may be worth noting that I used the term 'Arcana' in reference to magical items rather than 'Arcane' in reference to the mana type. I can see how that is a bit misleading.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/18/2014 01:31 PM CDT

If you really enjoy the thought of having such a title, have a custom LTB title. Then you'll be the only Arcana Knight. Arcane Knight fits better in the paladin titles than Arcana would in my opinion.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/18/2014 03:49 PM CDT
>It may be worth noting that I used the term 'Arcana' in reference to magical items rather than 'Arcane' in reference to the mana type. I can see how that is a bit misleading.

This is kind of a weird discussion. Arcane is just the adjective form of Arcana.... it's the difference between Vengeful Knight and Vengeance Knight. You might want to pick a less arcane word that relies less on a technical definition in DR, unless you really mean to be a Secreted Knight known and understood by few?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Arcana Knight 05/18/2014 07:03 PM CDT

That really can't be helped. Its the name of the skill, the name of the items involved, and the name of the mana type. I'm open to suggestions.