Knights Templar title 08/09/2007 01:58 PM CDT
I might be nitpicking, or taking things to literal, but I do not like the idea of someone being a defender of the Christian faith. I think there are enough titles that the removal of this Christian title wouldn't harm anyone.
My problem isn't with Christians, just an Earthly religious title. If I am being ridiculous, feel free to let me know.

Enjoy
Re: Knights Templar title 08/09/2007 02:40 PM CDT
Why do you want it removed? Does it offend you personally? It doesn't matter to me. I am just curious.

Drevid

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Knights Templar title 08/09/2007 04:16 PM CDT
for elanthia i translate it as a "soldier" in defense of the crossing temple. Would I use the title for Adon? not bloody likely.

Historically I do have a problem with the actual knights templar, same as I have with the Inquisition, the Crusades <see the rhineland massacres> , and other historical events that negatively impacted my people through the ages. But I make a hav'dil <seperation> between the title as used in elanthia and earth. I mean, its similar to the bad guys in Starwars being called Stormtroopers. Now if Paladins all of a sudden started wearing crosses I'd likely walk my paladin.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Knights Templar title 08/09/2007 04:52 PM CDT
Sometimes you just have to suspend certain realities to enjoy the game. I've noticed most problems occur when people blend reality and fantasy.

Since there were no Crusades in Elanthia, it obviously means something different in Elanthia.

If people have a problem separating reality and fantasy its time to log off for a little bit.

Just my opinion.

Drevid

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Knights Templar title 08/09/2007 05:16 PM CDT
I have a problem with thieves so lets delete the thief guild. Come on...Who care's...If you have a problem keep it to yourself...Dont ruin the fun for others...The game is not all about you. We all have stuff we dont like...We just ignore the stuff we do not like.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Knights Templar title 08/10/2007 09:33 AM CDT
I know there is a difference between reality and fantasy, maybe I should read more of the IG books, but how would a paladin derive the title of Knight Templar.. it is something so unique to Christianity (I major in Medieval studies). I just don't understand how it could be a title. If it means a defender of the Crossings temple then thats legit for me, I just thought it slightly odd that that title existed, when templar could be replaced by a plethora of different words with less Earthly/Christian significance. I don't mean to upset anyone, but when I saw the title it had the same impact as someone walking around calling themselves Satanist (Satan doesn't exist in DR). If the title is, in fact, suppose to represent defender of the Crossing temple, or something similar, then I retract my objection and will easily move on.
Re: Knights Templar title 08/10/2007 09:55 AM CDT
A "templar" is simply a word used to describe a holy warrior dedicated to the defense of a given faith and/or philosophy. Templar is not strictly a christian word. I'm sure, since you are a medieval studies major, you can find other words used to describe defenders of other faiths that are similar to the word templar.

Simply because you can directly link the word Templar to what you have experience in with your studies does not make it a derogatory title overall, it's just something that hits personally close to home for you. Like, the Stormtroopers example.

A Templar in DR is nothing more then a Paladin dedicated to the defense of their specific diety, or the immortals ideals overall. To say there's an issue with Templar, is to say there's an issue with Priest, Cleric, Father, Brother, High Priest/Priestess and any other loosely related religious title out there. Then we won't even get into titles such as Murderer or any other criminal titles out there.

In Plat, we have some established roleplay for 4 paths for Paladins, here's the brief version:

Knight Provincial - Swears loyalty to a specific province

Knight Errant - Dedicated to a specific quest/moral belief

Knight Templar - Dedicated to the defense of holy sites and the immortals

Unsworn - Paladin who doesn't want to participate in the above mentioned 3 path "system"

Oh, and the whole Satanist example for you while truly upsetting that it had such a profound effect on you, I'm curious why you don't react to the Priest title in the same way, since Priests and Priestess of Satan are called, just that, Priest or Priestess.

~Player of Zaud (Platinum)

Got Smite? - http://www.drpaladin.com
Re: Knights Templar title 08/10/2007 10:00 AM CDT
Oh, yes, and also:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Templar also a term used to describe lawyer or student of law having chambers in the Temple in London?

~Player of Zaud (Platinum)

Got Smite? - http://www.drpaladin.com
Re: Knights Templar title 08/10/2007 10:17 AM CDT
>>since Priests and Priestess of Satan are called, just that, Priest or Priestess.

So THAT is why those titles haven't returned...

~Aeth
Re: Knights Templar title 08/10/2007 01:03 PM CDT
Personlly I've always found the Knights Templar title as out of genre for Dragonrealms, love the history of the Knights Templar as an historian, but I dont feel the title belongs in DR. Doesn't offend me personally I just found it oog.

Jim
Re: Knights Templar title 08/10/2007 03:45 PM CDT
How about a change change to Temple Knight or something along those lines?

mfberg
Re: Knights Templar title 08/10/2007 05:30 PM CDT
>>How about a change change to Temple Knight or something along those lines?
>>mfberg

Actually Mfberg, when you say it like that, it actually makes a good debate for just remaining with Knights Templar. lol I mean basically that's what your saying is knights of the temple. I personally don't want to come off as mercurial by any means but I just never looked at it like the way you stated it. One of those "duh" moments as it were. Since we do have temples in the realms and we do have knights well, I guess knights templar is indeed in genre!

I can't believe how dense I was on this point of view, I mean seriously I never made a big deal out of it. ie: I never posted that I thought that the title was oog, until today when I agreed with the poster who started the thread. I'd felt that way though since the title came out, but man I dont know why I never looked at it the way you just stated it. Serious head space and timing issues on my part for sure. Scratch me off of the list of those who have any issue with the title being in genre!

Jim, not afraid to have his mind changed.
Re: Knights Templar title 08/14/2007 04:47 AM CDT
I rescind.
Re: Knights Templar title 12/10/2007 03:05 PM CST
"Since there were no Crusades in Elanthia, it obviously means something different in Elanthia."

- YET!

Drenn shouts "The Skra'Mur Shall give us back our holy land!"

"What holy land?!"

Drenn shouts "We will figure that out when we get there! CHARGE!"
Re: Knights Templar title 12/10/2007 04:28 PM CST
We just got done with a Crusade down in Shard. Mebbe get that helmet resized, eh?

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Knights Templar title 12/10/2007 11:27 PM CST
all the lands are belong to us -

da s'kra

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Knights Templar title 12/11/2007 06:26 AM CST
>da s'kra

Keep dreaming.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Ruea says, "I swear, I'm forsaking Damaris and building an altar to you."

P.S. The Dragon Priests hate you, too.