Therengia: A Paladins Perspective 01/30/2016 05:41 AM CST
On February 8th at 9:00 pm Eastern in Great Chamber of the Zoluren Paladin Guild the Mentor Society will present Therengia: A Paladins Perspective. Guest Speakers from Therengia will be talking on several topics including the history of Paladins in their Province as well as a reflection on current times. A Q&A will follow.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Therengia: A Paladins Perspective 02/05/2016 04:32 AM CST

Looking to do a Paladin character, new to this Guild - wanted to run a few ideas and see what people recommend. Basically I want a Crusader who's going to specifcally focus vs undead (as much as possible) maybe with an eye towards eventual PvP against 'bad' Necromancers. Also would like to join an Order (is there one that focuses vs. Undead or Necros?). Thats the basic template and I'll see what happens. Any advice much appreciated thanks in advance!
Re: Therengia: A Paladins Perspective 02/05/2016 07:09 AM CST
That sounds pretty cool to me.

You can be an even better undead-buster by utilizing some cleric spells via scrolls (Bless, PFE, etc.).

I'm not sure how much baked-in benefit Paladins get vs. undead though.

In DR, if you can give up the plate armor, a cleric actually makes the ideal crusader against undead because almost all of their spell book has special benefit for slaughtering them.
Re: Therengia: A Paladins Perspective 02/05/2016 03:45 PM CST
>>Sulic: Looking to do a Paladin character, new to this Guild - wanted to run a few ideas and see what people recommend. Basically I want a Crusader who's going to specifcally focus vs undead (as much as possible) maybe with an eye towards eventual PvP against 'bad' Necromancers. Also would like to join an Order (is there one that focuses vs. Undead or Necros?). Thats the basic template and I'll see what happens. Any advice much appreciated thanks in advance!

Paladins have a lot of good buffs, but they do not have a lot of tools that are specifically anti-Necromancer/undead. (That role has largely been given to Clerics.)
•Holy Warrior (esoteric cyclic warding spell that blesses your own weapons and sometimes stuns whatever attacks you)
•holy weapon: The power grows with you, eventually exceeding that of a capped Bless. It has limited charges, which can be refilled at a designated recharging location or with a portable icon.

Keep in mind that you can temporarily memorize 1-2 non-signature Cleric spells to augment your toolbox: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Cleric_spells

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Paladin_spells

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

>>Sulic: Also would like to join an Order (is there one that focuses vs. Undead or Necros?).

As for official orders, they all exclude Necromancers, but none of them really focus on hunting Necromancers or the undead. The Order of the Theren Guard probably comes closest simply because it's required to enforce the baron's provincial bans.

If you really want to focus on being anti-Necromancer/undead, you may want to consider joining the player-run Inquisition. Liurilias is in charge of that and is probably your best contact, but you can also speak with any other member (including Isharon).

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Therengia: A Paladins Perspective 02/05/2016 04:10 PM CST
To expand on the comments of others..

While we(Paladins) don't have oodles of tools directly suited to going after Necromancers, we tend to do rather well surviving them. Pairing up with a cleric, giving Lead, and Protect while taking advantage of their heftier offense is AMAZINGLY potent. It makes for an incredibly difficult combo for the Necromancer.

By our nature we're not 'generally' the heavy hitters in DR. We ARE very peppy in the defensive arena.

Samsaren
Re: Therengia: A Paladins Perspective 02/05/2016 05:35 PM CST

Thanks for the advice... I'll definitely have more. I'd attend the meeting but I'm working, definitely another time. My character is Roymanco, if we see each other definitely say hey. For now the most evil thing he'll be hunting is crabs and rats lol.
Re: Therengia: A Paladins Perspective 02/05/2016 06:47 PM CST

In riverhaven there is great hunting for you starting out since they have the undead goblins. If you decide to head that way, please feel free to look me up in game. I used to be a part of group that focused on fighting undead. Also I wlll be glad to bless as many weapons as you like. I can get 400 strike bless on everything your using it will help out. also will be glad to buff you up what i can before you head out. Best of luck to your sir!

Cadderrly, the feeble old swamp shaman