A Squire's Elevation 10/14/2013 07:08 PM CDT
Join Sebestyen at Rossman's Church for Mandalynn's elevation ceremony. Afterward there will be friendly jousting at the Rossgallon field for those that want to test their skills against the new Paladin. We will attempt to arrange transportation for those that need it. [OOC Oct 19 at 7PM Eastern]

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
A Squire's Elevation - Log 10/19/2013 10:30 PM CDT
For those that missed it:

[Rossman's Landing, Church]
A stained glass window fills the eastern wall, situated to catch the rising sun. Beneath it, the altar is covered by a grass-green velvet cloth embroidered with images of cows and grain to honor the goddess Berengaria. Sheaves of wheat bound with ribbons decorate the walls of this simple village church.
You also see an obstreperous Shadow Servant and a glimmering shadowy sphere.
Also here: Knight Templar Balfore, Sir Stormont, Sir Gaidin, Shadow Priestess Acadi, Sir Sylvaran, Empath Kiriti, Ambassador Zynara, Hellion Rallyne, Knight Magister Elriic and Lord Knight Sebestyen.
Obvious exits: out.

(Mandalynn enters behind Sir Stormont and Sir Balfore, allowing them to lead her toward the altar. Balfore bears a ruby red sword in his hands while Stormont carries a crimson pavise shield, both held before them ceremoniously. As they pause to bow and take their places to each side of Sir Sebestyen, she kneels, a slight tremor going through her as she waits with bowed head.)

Mandalynn kneels down upon the ground before Sebestyen.
Zynara smiles at Mandalynn.

Sebestyen says, "Welcome everyone to this solemn ceremony whereby I will elevate my squire, Mandalynn, to knighthood."

Sebestyen says, "First, a prayer to Berengaria."
(Sebestyen bows his head)
Sebestyen recites:

"Thy child seeks the light
Bring us dawn this day
Walk before me, sow anew
My feet follow seeking their way."

Rallyne gazes down at the floor.
Sebestyen recites:

"Renew light and life
Thou are Mother to me
Mother who banishes night
And holds my soul safe for me."

Kiriti shivers.
Sebestyen says, "With that, I present to you Mandalynn, whom I met some years ago on the streets of Riverhaven. She told me how she had left home, then asked someone where heroes should go, and was promptly directed to the Paladin Guild."
Mandalynn nods emphatically.
Acadi grins.
Zynara smiles.
Sebestyen says, "Seeing that she had not the first idea of what to do with herself.. and that she obviously had a stout heart, I took her under my tutelage and she swore an oath to me as my squire."

Kiriti smiles.
Sebestyen says, "She has learned much, and proven herself quite worthy of knighthood, and I am extremely proud to be here this day."
Sylvaran grins cheerfully.
Mandalynn smiles with her head still bowed, hiding the blush.

Sebestyen says, "She took vigil here overnight, in this simple chapel to her favored Immortal, praying and no doubt meditating on her future."
Sebestyen says, "And now.. it is time."
Sebestyen smiles at Mandalynn.

Sebestyen says to Mandalynn, "If you would please, recite the code once more as a squire, knowing that when you speak it again in the future, it will surely be to instruct others in the principles you uphold."
Mandalynn stands back up.

Mandalynn says, "Aye Sir."

Mandalynn says, "The Paladin Code."
Mandalynn says, "A Paladin supports and defends Good and opposes Evil."
Mandalynn says, "A Paladin is a Leader in righteous combat."
Mandalynn says, "When it is necessary to fight, the Paladin will seek to guide and inspire her comrades, taking a forward position in the battle and facing the foe boldly. A Paladin does not hide from her foe or sneak about."
Mandalynn says, "A Paladin is a Protector."
Mandalynn says, "She will seek to prevent harm to the innocent and will place herself at risk in order to accomplish this if need be."
Mandalynn says, "A Paladin is Just and works to promote and enforce Justice and the Law."
Mandalynn says, "If a Paladin does not agree with a law, she must still respect it and should work to change it rather than disregarding it. The only exception to this is if the Paladin believes the law to be truly Evil. In this instance, the Paladin must follow the dictates of her conscience."
Mandalynn says, "A Paladin is Honest."
Mandalynn says, "She will not lie or otherwise seek to deceive a person. A Paladin does not cheat or seek to take unfair advantage in her dealings with others."
Mandalynn says, "A Paladin is Loyal."
Mandalynn says, "She does not betray her god, her liege-lord, her guild, her family, or her friends."
Mandalynn says, "A Paladin is Holy."
Mandalynn says, "She seeks to do that which pleases her god in all manners of the Code, and knows that the purity of her soul has a profound impact on the abilities the gods bless her with."
Mandalynn says, "While it is not required that a Paladin worships Chadatru or Rutilor above other gods, she ignores the wishes of the God of Justice at her peril. Serving another god or gods is possible for a Paladin provided that the path that she follows does not work against Good or Justice. It is not appropriate for a Paladin to work toward the ends of a dark aspect since the goals of such are not in keeping with what is Good and Just."

Sebestyen says, "Well done, as always squire."
Mandalynn says, "Thank ya Sir."
Sebestyen says, "During her time as my squire, I was often reminded myself of what we Paladins are.. and an old poem came to my mind which I will recite now."

Sebestyen says, "This is a poem written quite a few years ago by the Paladin Monacus."

Sebestyen recites:

"You ask me, "Just what makes a Paladin?"
I raise my head smiling and begin to answer clear,
She is one who faces danger,
When evil gathers near."

Sebestyen recites:

"A woman of faith, the Gods her actions guide,
Loyal to her word, she is one to whom you dare confide.
Upholding the law in word and in deed,
A shining example for others as she follows her creed."

Sebestyen recites:

"Her blade defends the helpless, doing what she must,
Leading others into battle when the cause is just.
Facing the fiercest foe when another needs her aid,
Defying death even though she is afraid."

Sebestyen recites:

"Braving the battle boldly,
Even though she may not win,
Facing her fate unflinching,"

Sebestyen firmly says, "That... is a Paladin."

Acadi grins.
Mandalynn nods emphatically.
Stormont smiles.
Kiriti smiles.
Zynara smiles.

Sebestyen says to you, "Remember those words as well, especially if you find yourself in doubt or troubled times.."
Mandalynn says, "I shall, Sir."

Sebestyen says to Mandalynn, "At this point, I hereby release you of your oath to me as a squire."
Mandalynn shivers.
Stormont offers Sebestyen a crimson triple reinforced vardite pavise shield emblazoned with a golden iris.
Sebestyen accepts Stormont's pavise shield.
Sebestyen says, "The meaning of the armor."

Sebestyen says, "The armor represents a knight's integrity and wholeness of spirit. As her physical armor must be whole and in good repair to protect her body from enemies, so too must the spiritual armor be complete and whole to resist the temptations of wickedness. A knight with such integrity will courageously stand for her principles and be seen as honorable and good."

(Sebestyen holds Mandalynn's pavise shield in both hands and bows his head reverently.)

Sebestyen says, "We pray Berengaria bless this woman's armor, that by favor of your benevolence, she may trample underfoot her enemies, gaining victory in all things, always remain safe and sound."

Sebestyen says to Mandalynn, "Keel again, squire."
Mandalynn kneels down upon the ground before Sebestyen.

Sebestyen offers Mandalynn a crimson triple reinforced vardite pavise shield emblazoned with a golden iris.
Mandalynn accepts Sebestyen's offer and is now holding a crimson triple reinforced vardite pavise shield emblazoned with a golden iris.
Balfore offers Sebestyen a ruby red sword.
Sebestyen accepts Balfore's ruby red sword.
Sebestyen says, "The meaning of the sword."

Sebestyen says, "The sword's significance lies in the fact that it slays and wounds with both edges, and the point stabs. The sword is the knight's noblest weapon, and so the knight should serve in three ways."

Sebestyen says, "She should defend the faith, killing and wounding those who oppose it. She should also defend the lands and the people, lest the weak suffer trepidations and oppression by the powerful or evil in this world. And just as a sword pierces whatever it touches, likewise a knight should pierce all heretics and villains, attacking them mercilessly wherever she may find them."

(Sebestyen holds Mandalynn's sword in both hands, bowing his head reverently.)

Sebestyen says, "Grant our prayers, Oh Berengaria, and see fit to bless this sword which your servant deires to be girt, to the end that she may be defender of the Faith, widows, orphans, and all servants of the Light, against the cruelties of the Dark."

Sebestyen says, "May she be the terror and dread of her enemies, and may this blade ensure for her equitable prosecution and just defense."

(Sebestyen raises the sword and sweeps it downward toward Mandalynn, at the last moment turning it and slowing the arc to tap her lightly on the right shoulder, then up again and to her left shoulder for a second tap with the flat of the blade.)
Sebestyen offers Mandalynn a ruby red sword.
Mandalynn accepts Sebestyen's offer and is now holding a ruby red sword.

Sebestyen says, "You may now rise Dame Mandalynn, and go forth as a Paladin in the realms serving the Immortals and the people as you see fit, taking up whatever oaths or causes you deem worthy...."

Sebestyen says, "Or, if you have any oath to make to me as a Knight, I would gladly here it now."
Kiriti gasps!
Mandalynn says, "Aye, Sir. I do."

Sebestyen smiles.
Mandalynn says, "I have served as your squire for the past five years and I have learned so much. You taught me by example and by your words and you sent me to others so that I could gain from their wisdom as well."
Mandalynn says, "You've taught me that oaths are very serious and I've spent a verra long time thinking about what I will do after this day and I've made up my mind. I want nothing more than to continue to serve under you and stand with you and yours in battle against evil as well as aiding those in need."
Mandalynn says, "So Sir, if you'll have me, I hereby swear in the presence of Berengaria to serve as your knight and devote myself to you and yours."
(Mandalynn holds her sword out on the palms of her hands in offering.)
Sebestyen says, "I gladly accept this oath from such a worthy Knight, and pledge to not cause you any dishonor, nor hold you to any deed which goes against your conscience. If you ever feel need to beg release, I will grant it without recrimination."
Mandalynn beams at Sebestyen!
Acadi lets out a loud "Huzzah!" for Mandalynn!
Sebestyen says, "The meaning of the chain."
Sebestyen says, "The chain of a knight symbolizes the chain of fealty that binds her to his liege-lord. The chain is made of the purest of all metals and is without end, symbolizing the pure and eternal nature of the bond of fealty."
Sebestyen says, "As you already possess a most suitable chain, honoring your fallen brothers, I feel no need to present you with another. Let that one be the symbol of your fealty and rememberence of the unsung heroes."
Mandalynn smiles at a brushed gold memorial chain.
(Sebestyen reaches down and gently touches the chain about Mandalynn's neck)
Sebestyen gets a pair of silver spurs with delicate engravings from inside his suede satchel.
Sebestyen says, "The meaning of the spurs."
Sebestyen says, "A knight's spurs symbolize her duty to commit no evil that might disgrace her House or leige. Her spurs are sharpened to goad her steed just as a knight should goad the people to virtue, but a virtuous knight should also make herself feared by the wicked."
Sebestyen offers Mandalynn a pair of silver spurs with delicate engravings.
Mandalynn accepts Sebestyen's offer and are now holding a pair of silver spurs with delicate engravings.
Sebestyen says, "It is written..."
Sebestyen says, "Each Paladin throughout the ages has been a focus for the forces of Light against Darkness."
Sebestyen says, "A Paladin must ever be a shining example of courtesy and honor."
Sebestyen says, "If ever the Darkness should conquer the Light, the last gleam shall come from the uplifted blade of a righteous Paladin."

Sebestyen says, "Thus it was written long ago..."
Sebestyen says, "Act each moment as if you are the final shard of Light as Darkness closes in."
Sebestyen recites:

"O! Berengaria bear me home
Thy lost child
Home again safely to bring."

Sebestyen says to Mandalynn, "Rise Dame Mandalynn."
Mandalynn stands back up.
Mandalynn sinks down in a deep curtsy before Sebestyen, her lashes lowered.
Sebestyen gets a silk tabard azure a rose argent from inside his travel pack.
Sebestyen says to Mandalynn, "I have here.. a tabard, to replace the one I gave you with my arms."
Mandalynn says, "Ooh."

Mandalynn takes off a crimson tabard emblazoned with a gold rampant lion.
Stormont smiles.
Mandalynn gives a crimson tabard emblazoned with a gold rampant lion a hug.

Balfore smiles.
Sebestyen chuckles.
Mandalynn says, "May the next squire be as lucky as I have been."
Kiriti smiles.

You see Dame Mandalynn, Paladin of Therengia, a Human.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.