Fete of Banishment 01/20/2013 01:41 PM CST
That's right, an actual Paladin event!

The Fete of Banishment is a Paladin ritual detailed in the book Faith and Soul which can be found in the Tower of Honor's library in Shard. The book details two different ways the ritual was held in the past. Looking at that it was it was decided that we could run a version of the event and use the Day of Ten Thousand Dead template for it. (Although the version where Paladins all cram into a temple for undead killing and the local townsfolk's give them ham sandwiches was appealing as well)

Paladins will gather at three different locations on the mainland:

1. Ilithi :North entrance to the Great Tower.

2. Zoluren: Outside the Paladin Guild in Crossing

3. Theren: Outside the Paladin Guild in Riverhaven

From there participants will head out for undead killing. Undead Slayers can go in groups or on their own and can fight any undead they wish. When slaying undead participants will need keep track of the number of kills they make so we can be sure to achieve our goal of 10,000 mashed Undead. We will have a person keeping count in each Province and encourage participants to gweth their kills in round numbers whenever possible ( 10, 20 50 etc) for ease of our math.

Please join us on Friday January 25th at 9Pm eastern. While this is a Paladin event anyone is welcome to participate. The Paladin Guild believes in equal opportunity Undead crunching.

For added flavor here is the excerpt from the book regarding the Fete of Banishment:

Although not truly a ritual or ceremony, I included this entry, as I did with the Thirteen Voices, primarily because there were ritualistic or ceremonial aspects to it. When I dug up the notes on the Fete of Banishment about ten years ago, I remember asking a fellow historian if there was a link with Asketi's Ride. He felt that the thinking behind the festival might have originated from it, but that the current notes did not specifically indicate that it was performed because of a Ride.

I have two accounts of the Fete of Banishment and both were per- formed extraordinarily differently. They were held on different dates and in strikingly different locations: one was held at a chapel and the other occurred in a tomb infested by undead.

The notes on the chapel site show that it was privately held, and that some well known guild members attended and even organized the event. The event lasted for one week in which the Paladins fasted and prayed. The squires of these Paladins guarded the chapel, fetched fresh water, and delivered clothing each day for their mentors. It is not clear what the Paladins prayed about, but the other account of the fete indicates that the Paladins probably prayed for peace and defense against evil.

The Fete of Banishment that took place in the tomb was more active than the chapel version. A large group of Paladins and anyone from a local town who wanted to join in headed down into the depths of a tomb with hordes of undead. There, the large party struck back at the root of the local town's evil scourge. Where this particular event differed from just fighting a mob was that the townspeople had prepared special foods for the participants to take with them. The menu consisted of rabbit meat boiled in holy water and then baked inside a hot cross bun, raw carrot sticks tied with sage, and lemon infused water. In addition, the account made references to a fireworks display every night until the tomb was empty.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Fete of Banishment 01/20/2013 09:49 PM CST
It would make more sense for the Paladins to gather outside of the Theren keep, which is where the main Paladin Guild is in the Province of Therengia. Not only is Therenborough a Paladin town, but it is the stronghold of the Baron's throne. The Paladin Guildleader in Riverhaven was only just recently added at the Inn.

Gwenddolyn
Re: Fete of Banishment 01/22/2013 11:13 AM CST
I'm guessing, but I think Riverhaven was chosen as it is closer to the nearest undead ?

Since otherwise it would take the time of getting a ferry to Theren only to get a ferry back to Haven to visit the swamp ?

But i'm just a lowly servant.

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: Fete of Banishment 01/22/2013 01:25 PM CST
Nope, Riverhaven makes sense since it is crawling with undead.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Fete of Banishment 01/22/2013 03:32 PM CST
Undead are more prevalently located nearby (and in) Riverhaven. Example - Dunshade manor, Zaulfung Swamp (and beneath it too).
However, near Theren you will also find dark spirits.
Re: Fete of Banishment 01/23/2013 06:00 AM CST
Yep, that's why it's Riverhaven. I originally submitted it as Therenborough and feedback dictated I change it.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Fete of Banishment 01/25/2013 10:08 AM CST

Plenty of undead in the Abbey too. They range from noob to transcendent in skill level.