Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/26/2018 01:00 AM CDT
So i'm making the move to drop Soldiers Prayer. I never use it because of the short duration. In PvP it's impossible to keep up against most Guilds. And I could use the spell slots for something else. Anyone else give up on this spell? It would be much more useful with longer duration.
Re: Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/26/2018 02:13 AM CDT
>>So i'm making the move to drop Soldiers Prayer. I never use it because of the short duration. In PvP it's impossible to keep up against most Guilds. And I could use the spell slots for something else. Anyone else give up on this spell? It would be much more useful with longer duration.

I made the move over from Soldiers Prayer to Lay Ward years ago and never looked back. I don't PvP at all, but when hunting magic using creatures the diminishing duration on SP makes the spell tedious to keep up. I haven't used SP much since the new changes were made to it, however, the couple of times I did play with it I noticed the same problems. Between my own offensive casting and being assailed by magic, a 40 minute duration with a capped cast was depleted in roughly 3 minutes.

- Anuind Silverspruce

Any drunken idiot can fall off a bar stool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Re: Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/26/2018 04:58 AM CDT
>>In PvP it's impossible to keep up against most Guilds.

I find SP's niche for me is resisting that opener from Stealth that we inevitably get zapped with. I don't try to maintain the spell, I let it eat that first cast or two, then start using offensive magics.

For me, it's all about Trade-offs. It gives me a 100% chance to avoid a spell, but it's not a tool for magical immunity. Niche-y, but I use it. PvE, on the other hand, Lay Ward will look far superior because most creatures don't cast with enough mana to blast through it till endgame. Hard to compete with that.

Samsaren
Re: Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/26/2018 08:28 AM CDT
I rarely even use SP against stealth casters because I rely so much on halt/SF to try and keep an opponent from rehiding long enough to try to do any sort of damage. If I'm REALLY lucky, that's 1 shatter-throw and maybe a melee hit I can land before RF/EM/stun-hiders trigger and they go back to controlling the fight while I wait for our spell "cooldowns" (i.e. diminishing returns, shatter duration). I'd rather eat that first hit than risk blunting my only way of touching evenly matched opponents.
Re: Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/26/2018 12:38 PM CDT
>>I rarely even use SP against stealth casters because I rely so much on halt/SF to try and keep an opponent from rehiding long enough to try to do any sort of damage. If I'm REALLY lucky, that's 1 shatter-throw and maybe a melee hit I can land before RF/EM/stun-hiders trigger and they go back to controlling the fight while I wait for our spell "cooldowns" (i.e. diminishing returns, shatter duration). I'd rather eat that first hit than risk blunting my only way of touching evenly matched opponents.

Different approaches to the same problem. I'd rather let SP eat the first cast, then counter with a Halt (never SF, thanks stun hiders), and get to melee. With Crusader's tactics buff I can usually grapple and apply some damage before they escape and repeat. Counting on an (extremely) limited window via Shatter for a non-buffed ranged attack hasn't worked out nearly as well as applying axe to forehead.

Of course, my issue could be I don't whisper my shatter casts, I hear that helps.

Samsaren
Re: Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/26/2018 03:46 PM CDT
I'll admit I may be doing it wrong wrt SP, and you have way more experience than I. I'll give that strategy a shot next time I'm IG. I'll owe you a brew or something if it turns out to work better for me.

>Counting on an (extremely) limited window via Shatter for a non-buffed ranged attack...

It can be totally frustrating to get a crit miss on a throw after shatter which happens more often than one might expect given the no shield effect. I'm hoping shatter gets improved along with the small number of other paladin spells that could use love. I love shatter when it works.
Re: Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/27/2018 10:26 PM CDT

I dropped Shatter a long time ago. I can't remember quite what it did. I thought it only damaged shields or something to that effect. Which doesn't seem very useful. Am i missing something?
Re: Dropping Soldiers Prayer 04/27/2018 10:52 PM CDT
>>Gamer: I dropped Shatter a long time ago. I can't remember quite what it did. I thought it only damaged shields or something to that effect. Which doesn't seem very useful. Am i missing something?

Shatter debuffs the shield usage skill and sometimes disables the shield defense entirely.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide