Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 09:04 AM CST
While spells are not a huge priority at the moment, I see one piece of low-hanging fruit I can offer you. Right now Paladin spell buffing is a bit nasty. While I can't solve that completely right now, what I am prepared to do for now is condense four of your spells.

Courage would become "Heroic Courage" and be a metaspell of Heroic Strength. Still one slot. If you know Heroic Courage, casting Heroic Strength will grant you both buffs.

Clarity would become a metaspell of Divine Guidance. Still one slot. If you know Clarity, casting Divine Guidiance would provide you both spells' buffs at once.

Anti-Stun would change from having Courage as a potential pre-req to Divine Guidance.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 09:22 AM CST

I don't think anyone would complain about those changes.

What about turning BA into a metaspell for RUE? When RUE pulses, the bonded weapon changes to what you have in your hand.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 09:49 AM CST

Those would be wonderful changes. Would you consider making AS and CRC standard rather than battle spells? That would help with manageability.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 10:28 AM CST
Would Courage still be a group spell? I'd love to see this change if it is. I like Paladins being a secondary group buffer, after Bards. I think it is a good niche for them.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 03:12 PM CST
Armifer - Looks good. I'd be all for such.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 06:54 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: what I am prepared to do for now is condense four of your spells.

This would be a welcome change.

It would also be tremendously helpful to convert battle buffs to standard spells (either that, or revisit the duration of such spells). In PvE, I rarely bother with buffs that only last 2-10 minutes. They simply aren't worth the attunement cost (100 mana for 10 minutes) or lost time spent re-casting.

Warding battle spells:
• Soldier's Prayer

Utility battle spells:
• Anti-Stun
• Rutilor's Edge

Augmentation/Utility battle spells:
• Crusader's Challenge

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 07:16 PM CST
I'm hesitant to touch CRC right now, but I am willing to convert the other three.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 08:03 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: I'm hesitant to touch CRC right now, but I am willing to convert the other three.

Awesome! Thanks!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/16/2017 09:09 PM CST
>>I'm hesitant to touch CRC right now, but I am willing to convert the other three.

I'm curious why? The buff part to tactics isn't terribly different from other such out there, and the Challenge bit is already on a cooldown, and is..lets call it frustrating to use in practice due to the contest.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 01:19 PM CST
After looking through HES and Courage today, going to take a slightly different approach to preserve the group buffing potential without overly complicating the spell or making it always area effect.

1) Heroic Strength will gain a Stamina boost equal to Courage's if you know Courage.

2) Courage will gain a Strength boost equal to Heroic Strength.

So, here's the downside. Under this scheme I can't really let Courage remain a one-slot spell. If I go ahead with this scheme I will be upping it to a two-slot cost.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 01:25 PM CST
So, in effect, it becomes HES is our solo cast Str/Stam, Courage is the group flavor? Caveat being, extra slot cost on courage?

If so, I'm game. Leaves me choices, while simplifying my prep routine. I can suffer a spell slot for the utility.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 01:34 PM CST
>>So, in effect, it becomes HES is our solo cast Str/Stam, Courage is the group flavor? Caveat being, extra slot cost on courage?

Yup.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 02:13 PM CST
So if I understand this:

HES 1 will become HES 2, which combines an effect of courage if you know the spell. HES 2 will retain the spell slot cost of 1. HES remains a single target/self spell.

Courage 1 will become Courage 2, and will add an effect of HES. Courage 2 will have 2 spell slots because of the group casting function.

Sounds like a solid win for 1 extra spell slot, honestly.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 07:43 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: 1) Heroic Strength will gain a Stamina boost equal to Courage's if you know Courage. 2) Courage will gain a Strength boost equal to Heroic Strength.

Under this system, would there ever be a reason to cast Heroic Strength instead of Courage? For example, if I am just wanting to buff myself, is there any advantage to using Heroic Strength?

If not, one alternative might be to combine the two spells (at a total cost of 1 slot) and add a metaspell (that costs 1 slot) for the group/area functionality. So if you just want to buff yourself, that's a 1-slot investment, but if you want to be able to buff a group, you have the option of spending another slot on the group functionality.

If that's not an option, I'm fine with the current proposal, but I wanted to mention that as a possibility.

Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 08:02 PM CST
Mainly I was concerned you might not want to cast AoE in every single instance, such as if group members have incompatible wards up.

But that said, if you guys are okay with it, that simplifies things a bit more and I don't need to do crazy stuff. What I'd do is either the metaspell idea I originally pitched or just say screw it, make HES 2-slot AoE and retire or reconceputalize Courage.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 10:29 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: Mainly I was concerned you might not want to cast AoE in every single instance, such as if group members have incompatible wards up.

I don't think I have run into that, since stat buffs are generally not incompatible with wards (with the possible exception of some Barbarian abilities). However, if there is a desire to be able to cast only on yourself when you are a member of a group, could you just add an optional CAST <SELF> syntax for spells that default to the group?

Currently, Courage is self-cast (if alone) or group cast (if you're in a group), and you can CAST AREA to target the entire room if you have the required feat.

Speaking of groups, is it still the plan that most augmentation buffs will be castable on groups (while wards may be primarily self-cast)?

Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/17/2017 11:29 PM CST

> What I'd do is either the metaspell idea I originally pitched or just say screw it, make HES 2-slot AoE and retire or reconceputalize Courage.

I think this sounds like the easiest option, but I would hate to see courage disappear. I feel like it's THE iconic ability of the paladin guild.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 04:55 AM CST
>>But that said, if you guys are okay with it, that simplifies things a bit more and I don't need to do crazy stuff. What I'd do is either the metaspell idea I originally pitched or just say screw it, make HES 2-slot AoE and retire or reconceputalize Courage.

I can count the number of times I haven't wanted to group cast courage in the past 15ish years of play on my hand. Go with simple, or take Courage as is, stuff a Strength buff into it (or use HES as the meta) and call it a day. I suspect most of us are tickled pink at having attention, and we're going to be thrilled by simpler solutions that lets you keep chuggin' through.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 09:16 AM CST
>But that said, if you guys are okay with it, that simplifies things a bit more and I don't need to do crazy stuff. What I'd do is either the metaspell idea I originally pitched or just say screw it, make HES 2-slot AoE and retire or reconceputalize Courage.

You had me at combining independent single stat buffs and group cast HES. I’m already happy with the change. I don’t care which way we go to get there.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 09:29 AM CST
After gazing at the code again and contemplating the deep spiritual mysteries, here's where I'm at this morning.

HES: 2 slot AoE. All the same casting options as Courage has now, + combining their buffs.
Courage: 1 slot AoE Fear barrier.

I'm willing to entertain other effects for Courage, as I know that's highly niche, but at the same time it'd do what it sounds like on the tin and still give the spell a reason to exist.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 09:58 AM CST
>>Courage: 1 slot AoE Fear barrier.

What if instead of being a barrier against fear, it was a booster for Fortitude and/or Willpower checks?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:01 AM CST
I've always thought fatigue and concentration regen available with a group option was very tin-canny and seems appropriate for a spell named courage. Fatigue regen alone would be far more potent than conc, but I thought the two together would make the spell more useful to full groups that include cast-heavy folks.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:03 AM CST
>>What if instead of being a barrier against fear, it was a booster for Fortitude and/or Willpower checks?

I could grudgingly see against Willpower, though I'd like to differentiate it from Psychic Shield a bit in that case.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:05 AM CST
>>I've always thought fatigue and concentration regen available with a group option was very tin-canny and seems appropriate for a spell named courage.

To be honest that seems a little more Glyphy or Leady or Active Armor... y... to me than an Inspiration spell.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:21 AM CST
Armifer,

I like the idea. I'd be happy with an Anti-fear, personally. While Niche, it's a niche few can fill. I wouldn't be opposed to a Willpower barrier either though.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:28 AM CST
>To be honest that seems a little more Glyphy or Leady or Active Armor... y... to me than an Inspiration spell.

That's fair. Quick side note on EASE. I defer to others, but it would be more useful for me if the fatigue regen were a pulsing regen effect rather than a one-shot ~10% replenishment (at 176th circle) with a large cooldown.

>What if instead of being a barrier against fear, it was a booster for Fortitude and/or Willpower checks?

>I could grudgingly see against Willpower, though I'd like to differentiate it from Psychic Shield a bit in that case.

Both fortitude and willpower buffs would be a lot more useful, if less appropriate than fear, only because I don't know that there's a whole lot of stuff that uses fear. In PvE, I'm not sure. In PvP, I think it's nearly all barb and maybe one thief ability.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:34 AM CST
>>That's fair. Quick side note on EASE. I defer to others, but it would be more useful for me if the fatigue regen were a pulsing regen effect rather than a one-shot ~10% replenishment (at 176th circle) with a large cooldown.

Ease is tragicly underpowered, overcosted, with far too long a cooldown in it's current form. I'm hoping it gets taken out back and shot, and replaced with something with a bit more zip, and 100% less dead guy interaction.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:35 AM CST
I kinda like EASE's concept (the non-deader version, anyway), but I agree that I don't like the recovery formula or the cooldown. The soul pool cost I might be able to live with, if it was a bit more potent and spammable.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:50 AM CST
After consulting with the dark cabal of spell designers, I am not prepared to make Courage a Will barrier, but I will counter offer:

-Fear attacks
-Spirit attacks
Castable on self or others but not AOE.
1 slot.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 10:59 AM CST
That's a very nice counter-offer. I'd take spirit+fear (for the spirit mostly), but I'll join the consensus - whatever it may be. AoE willpower defense is a sexy possibility.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 11:05 AM CST

> Courage: 1 slot AoE Fear barrier.
> I'm willing to entertain other effects for Courage, as I know that's highly niche, but at the same time it'd do what it sounds like on the tin and still give the spell a reason to exist.

I think the anti-fear makes sense both with the kit and theme.

What about also moving Lead's effect into courage? Giving it an always on for the paladin, and pulse to group option for everyone else? Effects you can grow into. That should be a nice little buff for paladins, and it makes thematic sense.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 11:25 AM CST
Sorry, I misread. Will is off the table. Is that spirit + fear or spirit or fear? If it's the latter, I definitely prefer spirit over fear.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 11:50 AM CST
>>After consulting with the dark cabal of spell designers, I am not prepared to make Courage a Will barrier, but I will counter offer:

Sold! I'll take it.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 11:52 AM CST
>>I like the idea. I'd be happy with an Anti-fear, personally. While Niche, it's a niche few can fill. I wouldn't be opposed to a Willpower barrier either though.

My main issue with it being anti-fear is that it's too niche. Currently, anti-fear just means "anti-roar," which essentially means it's just a shield against one guild in PvP situations.

>>-Fear/Spirit attacks

It's a wider net, which is good! As an alternative, what if it was a +Fortitude, instead of +Will (I'm not sure if there are any +Fortitude shields out there)?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 12:01 PM CST
>>It's a wider net, which is good! As an alternative, what if it was a +Fortitude, instead of +Will (I'm not sure if there are any +Fortitude shields out there)?

Right now the concern is that resist spells that target an entire defense category is probably too broad for where we are going forward, especially keeping it at 1 slot but also just in general. It's something we can revisit when we recover and finish the Barrier Review.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 12:09 PM CST
>>Right now the concern is that resist spells that target an entire defense category is probably too broad for where we are going forward, especially keeping it at 1 slot but also just in general. It's something we can revisit when we recover and finish the Barrier Review.

That's fair I suppose. I'll take the Fear/Spirit barrier in the meantime.

Samsaren
Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/18/2017 07:07 PM CST
I’d love to see +Fortitude revisited during the barrier review, and I get why -spirit/-fear can work well in the meantime.

Re: Spell Condensing, Take 1 12/19/2017 01:11 AM CST
>>That's fair I suppose. I'll take the Fear/Spirit barrier in the meantime.

Second. (I'll definitely defer to Samsaren's views on what is helpful in PvP.)