Haven't been able to find a good niche for SMH 07/30/2016 04:36 PM CDT
Since SMH's slot cost dropped to 1 in 3.2, I went ahead and picked it up and started playing around with it. Try as I might, I just can't find a good reason to use it over any other TM spell. It's expensive at 100 mana, so I go dry before I kill one creature if I use SMH with a cyclic spell. With no cyclic up, it kills slower than rebuke and FST.

Have any of you guys been able to find a good use for it? Is it useful if there are more than 4 creatures in your room?
Re: Haven't been able to find a good niche for SMH 07/30/2016 08:06 PM CDT
I find it to be my favorite TM trainer when hunting personally. I drop my cyclic, cast creatures, hunting with a partner. 100 mana, 6 targets, handful of casts and done.

Frankly, even with all the changes the idea of being able to maintain a full bore cyclic AND do heavy casting seems a bit much. To me dropping the cyclic in favor of TM isn't a problem.

Samsaren
Re: Haven't been able to find a good niche for SMH 07/30/2016 08:40 PM CDT
AoE tm's niche for me has pretty much been farming or training TM. If I want to train other skills then I'll just not cast TM or switch to a single target since I kill stuff too fast to train other stuff well with.

How my script operates is AoE TM until locked then only cast TM again once it drops below mind lock. So one or two casts every 3.5 minutes, basically.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Haven't been able to find a good niche for SMH 07/31/2016 09:36 AM CDT
>Frankly, even with all the changes the idea of being able to maintain a full bore cyclic AND do heavy casting seems a bit much. To me dropping the cyclic in favor of TM isn't a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. It was just another notch against using AoE TM over the alternatives for me.

The point about training with SMH is a good one I hadn't considered. It seems to train twice as well as rebuke, and rebuke seems to train twice as well as FST. I can totally live with SMH being a quick training only spell, especially for the cost of 1 slot. It also has a satisfying aesthetic.