Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/13/2016 02:12 PM CDT
It would make me, and probably a lot of paladins, very happy if Rutilor's Edge worked on shields.
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/13/2016 03:33 PM CDT
>>It would make me, and probably a lot of paladins, very happy if Rutilor's Edge worked on shields.

Okay, you got me.

What?

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/13/2016 03:36 PM CDT
I assume they mean use a shield's damage stats? Though with the armor change I'm not sure why.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/13/2016 03:54 PM CDT
RUE buffs weapon stats, like resonance, but it doesn't work on shields. I know the spell name Rutilor's Edge doesn't make sense for an offensive shield stat buff, but an offensive shield stat buff itself makes all the sense in the world for this guild. Shield slam is rather poor compared to weapon attacks because shields' offensive stats aren't great despite having the RT of large and 2-hand weapons. Weapon attacks are vastly superior to shield attacks when I feel like they should really work in concert for a paladin.

This is my 520 stone shield:

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly (3/14) balanced and is fairly (5/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Compare that with what most would call a decent 67 stone large/2hand edged weapon (i.e. significantly worse than a 60 stone dwarven greataxe):

A kertig bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A kertig bastard sword trains the large edged skill.

low (3/26) puncture damage
severe (13/26) slice damage
somewhat heavy (8/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The bastard sword is inadequately designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sword is inadequately (4/14) balanced and is soundly (8/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A kertig bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.
A kertig bastard sword trains the two-handed edged skill.

low (3/26) puncture damage
very extreme (16/26) slice damage
heavy (9/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The bastard sword is fairly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sword is fairly (5/14) balanced and is soundly (8/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Here's a 75 stone polearm:

A haralun awgravet ava is a halberd pole-ranged weapon.
A haralun awgravet ava trains the polearm skill.

very great (12/26) puncture damage
very great (12/26) slice damage
somewhat moderate (6/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The awgravet ava is inadequately designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the ava is inadequately (4/14) balanced and is well (9/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/13/2016 04:23 PM CDT
It does somewhat make sense. The spell adds primary damage, balance, and power to weapons. A shield is able to be used as a weapon and has weapon stats.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/13/2016 07:41 PM CDT
I would rather a bit of love being shown to how Shields convert to damage in light of bigger shields/new combat mechs. RUE effecting shields seems a bandaid, let DA do the task.

Samsaren
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/13/2016 11:09 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, when do you all find yourself using shield slam? I find myself using it only when debilitation isn't an option and I can't hit consistently with my weapon. I still love it when it's the only usable attack due to limited offense on challenging targets (just the nature of our skill set placement), but it's a downhill battle in those situations anyway.

My shield skill is 250 ranks higher than my primary weapon. This is my weapon against a challenging creature for my skill:

R> draw

< With pathetic timing, you draw a massive Dwarven greataxe with a bearded silversteel blade at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist attempts to dodge.
The greataxe suddenly cries out "Justice!" as it flares white hot and lands a hard (6/23) hit to the cabalist's left arm.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

> draw

< With pathetic timing, you draw a massive Dwarven greataxe with a bearded silversteel blade at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist barely fails to block with blazing shield.
The greataxe suddenly cries out "Justice!" as it flares white hot and lands a strong (7/23) hit to the cabalist's left arm.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in good position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

Nearly every connecting hit, which is nearly all of them, is around hard-strong. If I switch to the bastie linked above, it's around solid-hard; still a lot better than a shield slam.

Here's shield slam on a new creature with a little balance:

R> slam left

< Moving with powerful grace, you slam a pavise shield at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist attempts to dodge, not quite escaping the blast.
The shield lands a solid (5/23) hit to the cabalist's left leg.
[You're tired, adeptly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

R> slam left

< With grace, you slam a pavise shield at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist badly fails to block with a longsword crafted from pure flame.
The shield lands a good (4/23) hit to the cabalist's left arm.
[You're tired, adeptly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

R> slam left
>
< Attacking gracefully, you slam a pavise shield at an arthelun cabalist. An arthelun cabalist badly fails to block with a longsword crafted from pure flame.
The shield lands a good (4/23) strike to the cabalist's head.
[You're tired, nimbly balanced and in good position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

Nearly every hit is good-solid. I normally mix in gouges for balance. That's with a 250 ranks advantage on shield.
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/14/2016 06:31 AM CDT
>>Out of curiosity, when do you all find yourself using shield slam?

I have a 200+ rank gap between weapon and shield - if I'm shield bashing it is only for visual effect I find it always inferior to just using a weapon (especially a RUE'd holy weapon). And that's with well over 1600 effective shield, too.

Samsaren
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 04/14/2016 07:22 AM CDT
>>Out of curiosity, when do you all find yourself using shield slam?

Not a paladin but I use shield slam as an extra damage source when I'm killing things with TM or crossbow. Didn't bother to train offhand so I basically use shield slam in it's place.

Also sometimes use it to lock shield early when I'm training parry.
Re: Request: Rutilor's Edge 05/10/2016 08:36 AM CDT
Here's an example. I had a spar yesterday against a barb. We were pretty evenly matched, which meant we could barely do any significant damage to each other. Barbs still have strong MR through abilities, so shatter was not an option. I could gain balance and shield slam, but the shield slams were doing virtually no damage ("good" hits at 1k++ is basically no damage).

Actually, the last few of my fights have been stalemates, and not just against barbs which are a notoriously annoying match with a paladin. Fights just get more boring with more skill when you're limited in strategic options, like we are. It's frustrating to have had to call so many of my fights in 3.1.