Suggested Spell and Feat Progressions for Paladins 03/01/2016 05:24 PM CST
I've added a spell and feat progression to the Paladin new player guide on Elanthipedia: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide#Suggested_Spell_and_Feat_Progression

Obviously, opinions may differ on what is the best use of spell slots (and the order in which they should be spent) depending on play-style and ranks. The one I provided is for generalists who primarily enjoy PvE and are not interested in sorcery.

The order takes into account spell slot costs and expected (minimum) magic ranks for each circle, indicated in the far-right column. You may be able to use spells and feats earlier than listed here. If you have the magic ranks to cast Divine Armor, Rutilor's Edge, Holy Warrior, or Truffenyi's Rally earlier than indicated I would learn those spells sooner. Similarly, I would learn the feats of Deep Attunement and Efficient Channeling as soon as possible.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Suggested Spell and Feat Progressions for Paladins 03/01/2016 11:36 PM CST

Awesome! New players do generally appreciate a bit of guidance on what to get first. I remember when I would get Telekinetic Storm on a MM and never be able to use it because I was too young for it.. QQ

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: Suggested Spell and Feat Progressions for Paladins 02/18/2017 02:25 PM CST
I know this is a bit of a necro of this thread, but I disagree with the suggested spell chart and wanted to see if maybe there was a gap in my knowledge. For reference my Paladin is only Circle 20 and my spells up to this point (in the order I selected them) are:
SF, FST, AA, HES, RW, SR, VETERAN

The first few circles are more of my personal preference, but I went with Stun Foe and Footman's Strike as my first two spells just so that I could keep Debilitation and TM up with my weapons for as long as possible.

The chart recommends Vessel of Salvation as a Utility trainer, I went with Hands of Justice instead. It's a 1 slot cost compared to Vessel of Salvation and since both spells are purely for early training I preferred to have the extra spell slot.

I don't have fatigue issues so I held off on getting Courage, currently my plan is to drop Hands of Justice at Circle 22 and pick up Divine Armor. At Circle 26/30 I plan on picking up Rebuke/Rutilor's Edge (not sure on which I'll get first). I'm not sure I understand the logic of recommending Strange Arrow and Manifest Force for permanent spell slots in the 20s? Strange Arrow doesn't seem to give much over Footman's Strike and you can temporarily memorize Manifest Force. I also don't train Sorcery so maybe someone is holding that invoke slot for a Sorcery spell that I don't need.
Re: Suggested Spell and Feat Progressions for Paladins 02/19/2017 08:11 AM CST
>>The first few circles are more of my personal preference, but I went with Stun Foe and Footman's Strike as my first two spells just so that I could keep Debilitation and TM up with my weapons for as long as possible.

Any suggested list will have some wiggle for playstyle, and I personally commend you for trying to keep TM on par. It's a rough road but it is very nice to have the option.

On the Rebuke vs RUE - Rebuke's nice for more TM umph, and more exp per cast, but it can be a little on the mana intensive side early on. RUE on the other hand can improve weapon EXP by increasing balance and damage. Of the two I'd suggest weighing the value of TM against how fast you swap weapons. If you're the draw and lock a weapon type, RUE's more attractive, if you're switching weapons rapidly it gets more tedious to use.

On Courage - I wouldn't put this one off too terribly long. Stamina, in addition to making fatigue easier to manage, also provides some damage reduction. I'm also a fan of the extra burden space for longer hunting runs prior to dropping off boxes/skins/etc.

Lastly, on the topic of MAF - the reason it's on everyone's list is *right now* it's stupendously powerful. Stacking with other barriers, and being VERY potent till it fades makes MAF a stable in any casters toolbox. When the Barrier Review(tm) sees the light of day this may (likely) change, but for now it's a must have. Personally, I skipped Strange Arrow in favor of Guild TM, and ended up with the following:
In the chapter entitled "Analogous Patterns", you have notes on the Lay Ward [lw], Manifest Force [maf], Dispel, Imbue, and Gauge Flow [gaf] spells.

Samsaren
Re: Suggested Spell and Feat Progressions for Paladins 02/19/2017 01:20 PM CST
Samsaren already addressed most of these questions, but to address a few other points:

>>Jacobsj27: The chart recommends Vessel of Salvation as a Utility trainer, I went with Hands of Justice instead. It's a 1 slot cost compared to Vessel of Salvation and since both spells are purely for early training I preferred to have the extra spell slot.

I don't use either of those spells, but as far as temporary utility trainers go, I recommended Vessel of Salvation over Hands of Justice simply because the latter is completely useless in its current incarnation. That being said, I would unlearn either of those spells once you have a useful utility spell, so the spell slot you save by choosing Hands of Justice in lieu of Vessel of Salvation is temporary.

YMMV if that extra spell slot is worth more to you.

>>Jacobsj27: I don't have fatigue issues so I held off on getting Courage

As an Elf who struggled with burden and fatigue issues during the first 20 circles, Courage was an invaluable spell. These days, I don't usually have fatigue problems (unless I am swinging a really heavy weapon), but that extra stamina improves vitality, which is still useful.

>>Jacobsj27: I'm not sure I understand the logic of recommending Strange Arrow and Manifest Force for permanent spell slots in the 20s?

To me, the 1-2 scroll slots are more valuable than my permanent spell slots, because they are so limited in number, and I will never get more of them. I'm not even 150th circle yet, and I've already taken all of the Paladin and AP spells that currently interest me. (I use my remaining slots on magical feats.)

Even if sorcery doesn't interest you, you can still use those scroll slots to memorize non-signature Cleric spells.

>>Jacobsj27: Strange Arrow doesn't seem to give much over Footman's Strike

The reason I included Strange Arrow was that we have limited native TM options and very few means of dealing elemental damage.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Suggested Spell and Feat Progressions for Paladins 02/22/2017 03:41 PM CST

Appreciate all the recommendations/feedback. I hadn't been using the invoke slot at all, I picked up MAF and fit it in with AA and its made a huge difference in how many wounds I leave combat with. I also hadn't though about Cleric spells at all, I'm going to be on the lookout for some scrolls and prioritize getting my scholarship up so that I can get that 2nd slot.