Stored spell 04/22/2015 11:48 AM CDT

Do Paladins have any means of instantly casting their Debil spells? Can they store spells in any magical device?
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 12:17 PM CDT
As far as I know, only clerics and moon mages have spell storage abilities. Cleric OM I believe puts the spell 'always on' and I think MM moonblade can store a spell for instant release. But both spells are cyclic, and when a similar method was discussed in the WM folders a week or so ago, the GMs said they weren't really open to doing it again, because it's not really in theme.

So I'd assume Paladins are also not really in-theme for stored spells.
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 12:35 PM CDT
Moonblade is not cyclic.

We're not opposed to expanding spell storage/meta spell options in the future (Warrior Mages in particular are ripe for something like that) but we don't want to just reuse the same utility for every guild and if it's the sort of thing we brought outside of magic primes it would likely be in a more focused scope.

For Paladins I feel like this might be a niche better filled by glyphs in the long term. We'll see how that project shapes up.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 12:48 PM CDT
>and when a similar method was discussed in the WM folders a week or so ago, the GMs said they weren't really open to doing it again, because it's not really in theme.

Not quite what was said.

Armifer-

>While I won't say "never," I don't expect elemental weapons to get Moonblade's Empower Moonblade functionality. The dynamic between the two abilities is that Elemental Weapons are better at being weapons while the Moonblade has the potential to do quirky stuff.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/General%20Discussions%20-%20Warrior%20Mages/view/2758

Raesh-

>What he said.

>Am I opposed to Warrior Mages being able to do spell storage? Not on the surface (I have't done a deep soul searching) but I wouldn't be okay with a clone of how Moon Mages do it.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/General%20Discussions%20-%20Warrior%20Mages/view/2759

So it might happen for WMs but it's not going to be like Moonblade.

That being said, I don't see Spell storage extending past Magic Prime guilds, especially not to a Magic Tert guild.
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 12:53 PM CDT
Also neither OM or Moonblade are Cyclic. I'm not sure about Moonblade but OM does sort of act like a cyclic because it will drain mana from the orb depending on how many spells you have in it but it is still a Standard Spell and does not require harnessed mana to maintain or the raw channeling feat.
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 12:58 PM CDT
I have no clue why I said 'both spells are cyclic'.

I can't even think of what I was going to put in there, since I know neither are (I was extremely confused as to why Raesh replied with that).
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 01:00 PM CDT
Signature. I meant to say both spells are signature, not cyclic.

Typing while on lunch break is apparently a bad idea.
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 01:02 PM CDT
>>Signature. I meant to say both spells are signature, not cyclic.

That makes a lot more sense :D

And I got owned on my answer by Raesh because I had to go find the post. Seriously 17 years and still no search function :(
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 01:08 PM CDT

> For Paladins I feel like this might be a niche better filled by glyphs in the long term. We'll see how that project shapes up.

You just prompted a glyph idea.

Glyph of Protection:
When someone/something damages or bypasses (DFA) your armor/shield, your soul reaches out to give you a natural defense (-damage taken at a soul cost)

Glyph of Retribution:
Same as above, but the light also becomes brighter. This floods the area with a white light for a strong hiding debuff/perception buff in the area (much larger soul hit).

So kind of like dormant spells, but better.
Re: Stored spell 04/22/2015 09:14 PM CDT
Debilitation spells are battle spells so the prep time's short. Plus, we only have 3 debils (really 2). Seeing more ability, rather than spell, options for debilitation would be amazing.

If spell storage ever becomes a thing for paladins, I'd rather store augmentation spells. Paladins seem to take longest to spell up; rangers and warmies aren't far behind, though. Other guilds seem to spell up way faster. Clerics are ready to go quick with OM, moon mages just aren't heavy in combat augmentation, bards have a few aug spells that do a lot + cyclics so they're quick, and the NMUs are quick for obvious reasons.

IMO making some augmentation spells part of guild ability systems that mimic NMU's ability systems would fit paladins and rangers better than spell storage stuff, which seems better suited to pure magic guilds. It'd be neat if paladins and rangers were somewhere between MU and NMU, like hybrid guilds for lack of a better description. Paladins might use auras and glyphs or whatever for some of their augmentation, debilitation, utility and warding, and rangers might use some other system that harnesses their connection with nature in addition to beseeches for theirs. It would totally be worth a commensurate reduction in total spell slots if necessary.