Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/13/2014 09:21 PM CST
I thought I'd ask what everyone considers spells you should take and when. It doesn't need to be a by-level breakdown, but more of a 'get these by 10, then get these by 30, then these by 50' etc.

I hit 30 tonight on my paladin, and I'd say my must have spells are a bit odd. First and foremost is STRA because I have a personal dislike of Footman's strike. Second is AA for the power of barrier, and warding training. Then I like to pick up SF, since paladins spend a lot of time in combat I like to get the debilitation and TM going as quickly as possible. And then I just snag HES and VoS to round out my training abilities.

At level 30 I now have the above, plus courage, anti stun, Sentinel's resolve and VI. I also ended up with FST and rebuke to build up for SMH because I'm stupid and didn't see the level 40 requirement. I'd totally swap rebuke for Divine Armor if I was near throne, though. I also swapped out STRA for MAF around 29, and started using FST (which I still dislike) because between armor, shield, AA, and MAF, I'm feeling pretty tanky, and was having trouble finding a good critter around 120-130 ranks that taught well but didn't do a ton of damage.

By 50 I project I'll have Divine armor, and Smite Horde. But I'm not really sure what to get after those two, and thought I'd ask what other people thought at those level ranges.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/13/2014 10:30 PM CST
My Staples are:
DA, SR, RW, Courage, HES, AA. (VI)

Those are my 'always up' spells, everything else is situational. AS used to be on my always on, but as a battle spell the duration vs mana puts it firmly in the situational category.

Samsaren
Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/13/2014 10:59 PM CST
Nice list. So far I've taken HeS, AA, SF, FSt, and HoJ. I took HoJ rather than VoS as I see it being slightly more useful for me and much more in line with my character. Almost ready to get SR (+VI), then going for RW and DA. I really want to work for HW as I see that being very in line with my character, and the benefit of being able to bless himself for undead combat is just awesome. Do other Paladins like Holy Warrior over Truffenyi's Rally?
Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 04:50 AM CST
Holy Warrior is pretty handy, though from the younger paladin point of view its a hefty investment. You'll want at LEAST Raw Channeling, and I highly suggest Deep Attunement and Efficient Channeling as well before trying to get into cyclics. On the HoW vs TR question, for PVE, HoW is my preferred, both because I can actually get a smidge of magical exp from it (TR pulses so fast it destroys attunement at high preps), and with combat 3.x, critters constantly land hits, so constantly get stunned from HoW. Good times.

Samsaren
Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 07:19 AM CST
Interesting. I'll look into it more, I had forgotten the HoW stun aspect!

And after I get DA (either by dropping a spell or just leveling enough) I think I'll start picking up spell feats.

There was a small list, but most of my caster exp was with a 50th cleric, so I just picked up all the feats and all the spells and then burned a few slots because they have infinite.

Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 08:58 AM CST
I carry a fair list:

You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Sorcerous Patterns, Deep Attunement, Raw Channeling, Efficient Channeling, Improved Memory, Magic Theorist, Dedicated Cambrinth Use, Symbiotic Research, Physical Matrices, Mental Matrices and Survivalist.

That said, if you aren't a sorcery/scroll guy, you can really get by with a very small set. on HoW, the stun can really take the sting out of the fast attacking critters (Ints come to mind) as it impacts their balance, though less then it used to.

Samsaren
Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 10:15 AM CST
Ya, I might pick up a second scroll slot, but personally I've found sorcery just annoying enough to train that I don't.

Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 10:28 AM CST
>>but personally I've found sorcery just annoying enough to train that I don't.

I struggle to disagree, but find the extra scroll to be fun when I get my hands on scrolls to fill holes (MaPP comes to mind)

Samsaren
Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 03:52 PM CST
SR, DA and RW are the most useful buff spells IMO. AA, HES and courage are decent as well.

As far as sorcery goes it is annoying at times but at least get it to where you can get a second scroll slot and grab some uber cleric spells.
Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 06:02 PM CST
I still think Paladins should be able to invoke cleric spells permanently. They're both holy guilds! And they're already too closely related in lore/etc. anyway. Just embrace it.

Re: Must-have spells at level 10, 30, 50? 11/14/2014 11:06 PM CST
>>> As far as sorcery goes it is annoying at times but at least get it to where you can get a second scroll slot and grab some uber cleric spells.

Just to be clear, you shouldn't need sorcery to learn Improved Memory (it requires Scholarship and Arcana) and cleric spells don't use sorcery when cast by a paladin (both are holy spells).