The re-write of LEAD 09/23/2004 12:36 AM CDT
The current debate over whether or not paladins will still have a big piece of the forging pie after the re-write has gotten me thinking... where in the description of our guild does it say "you are destined to one-day be a great forger, once you have gained much battle experience".

I've also always thought that it was a little odd that we had lore secondary, since it is probably the one skillset that I don't really use in my day-to-day life as a paladin. Heck, I was REALLY confused back when I needed 3 ranks of first aid a circle.

Most other guilds have a special skill that no one gets to use but them, why not make Leadership a lore skill? It would certainly answer the question of "why am I lore secondary?"

Paladins have lots of abilities (like spells and glyphs) which draw on their soulstate and supernatural forces to take affect. I would think that leadership could reasonably be a mundane skill, where the action of actually LEADing a group is what improves skill.

One drawback of a system like this that made me hesitate at first...
It relies on other players to learn the skill. Ssra has also mentioned that he doesn't like ideas like this..

However, if LEAD were set up similarly to teaching (bear with me here a second!) I think it could really work well. Leadership skill would allow you to lead more and more people effectively, and convey increasing bonuses in each type of LEAD. Joining a paladain's group in battle while he LEADS will periodically give pulses of experience to the leading paladin, though due to the hectic nature of combat it would be a bit easier to learn than teaching (i.e. it would get to mind lock quicker).

It would also make for a neat way to expand on the personalities and history behind each of the guildleaders, and at the appropriate skill level and circle you could ask them for their insights into leading others in battle.

Your ability to LEAD could be limited by concentration... leading people wouldn't constantly drain concentration but hold it at a lower than max level. So in this way you could only lead a certain amount of people at first, but with skill and charisma you could lead more people and still be able to concentrate on spells etc.

We'd still eventually be able to "put our soul into it", and this would be in the form of glyphs that ENHANCE our ability to lead. But again, the point I'm trying to make is that LEAD should be just a skill that a paladin learns as he goes and not entirely divinely inspired.

kinda long winded I know, but I figured it was time to kick off some LEAD discussion.
(and I was getting bored of reading the OMG we're losing forging discussion)

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/24/2004 10:26 AM CDT
Ssra has already showed me his proposal for a Lead rewrite and it's looking quite nice. It's a large scale thing and is still in the proposal stage.
But Ssra is taking us down the right path with his Lead ideas.

~Maece

"Say something crazy! Like you're wearing women's underwear or something!"
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/24/2004 12:05 PM CDT
No more hints than that?
<prods playfully>

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/25/2004 06:32 PM CDT
Well i do hope this rewrite of lead isn't going to be like Lead defensive, Lead offensive, lead retreat. Myself and i am sure i could talk for most of the guild when i say this put it back the way it was!!!

Rowyr Dulcatlos

Paladin of Mrod
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/26/2004 03:50 AM CDT
<<Myself and i am sure i could talk for most of the guild when i say this put it back the way it was>>

Erm.. not to be a total spoilsport but Lead was silly overpowered. While it was sort of neat that there wasn't a Critter in Elanthia I couldn't rip through when leading at the time, I'm relativly sure that it'd not come back as such.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/26/2004 04:05 AM CDT
I would start hunting in groups then

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/26/2004 09:21 PM CDT
Well i say it should be put back the old way cause thinking about the last war paladins as a whole couldn't do didly squat in it Lead was too weak. Heck everyone rather of joined a barb and be "lead" by their roars.In as the guild was stated as being when we all joined it we are leaders of the people so i think Lead was not overpowered but was wrongly downtweaked!

Rowyr
Paladin of Mrod
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/27/2004 05:36 PM CDT
Your use of terms like "everyone" and "paladins as a whole" is greatly overexaggerated. I had people who chose to join groups that I was leading as opposed to a barb around the same circle. Perhaps M'riss and Mer'Kresh and the exception to your rule but somehow I doubt it.

Lead was tremendously overpowered. Every tweak that isn't to your benefit isn't inherently wrong. Being a leader does NOT require the use of a nifty verb like "LEAD".

Hopefully the LEAD rewrite will grant additional flexibility so that the paladin can choose a specialized direction for the leadership in battle. I would like to see charisma play a larger role in the overall power of the LEAD though I'll admit I haven't a clue about how significant it is in its current form. Perhaps Ssra could enlighten the masses, eh?

Mordril
Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/28/2004 10:17 PM CDT
Ssra has already showed me his proposal for a Lead rewrite

me fail english, that's unpossible!

Re: The re-write of LEAD 09/29/2004 12:46 PM CDT
<<No more hints than that?>>

I think till it's approved and we start working on it, it's best not to say much.

~Maece

"Say something crazy! Like you're wearing women's underwear or something!"
Re: The re-write of LEAD 10/01/2004 04:38 PM CDT
I bet we see it 'soon'

bwahahahahhahahahha!

Holy Guardian Michael Tristramm of the Rathan Fencible Regiment

Need forged plate armor?
http://webpages.charter.net/lauren859/armor
Like to read? check out my ebay store
http://stores.ebay.com/oureclecticutopia
Re: The re-write of LEAD 10/01/2004 08:53 PM CDT
I bet we'll see holy weapons, lead, and the new spell ideas get released before some other guild will get even them berserk bug fixed... so 'soon' to me sounds great compared to 'never'

::grins::

Somehow eating my french fries with cheese makes sense to me.
Re: The re-write of LEAD 12/16/2005 02:38 PM CST
One thing to remember is that absolutely nothing happens in DR quickly...heck careers have been on the back burner for years now!