A call to arms 06/11/2003 06:06 PM CDT
Firstly, this has nothing to do with hot summer nights or new releases of any kind. I would also like to start by apologizing for being negative in my last few posts (Joining the Redarch school of thought)... haven't been gettin much sleep of late.

There has been a lot of talk about paladins lacking a niche. I've given some thought to the issue and have been kicking around some ideas. Well, supposedly paladins are great leaders of men... and we should be a disciplined guild. So what I propose is a player developed (paladin players.. this is going to be our very own thing) system of keeping our guild organized and disciplined.

It's called a call to arms... a formal and highly RP intensive way for paladins to form hunting groups. If done correctly, the groups will be functioning units with a leader and as many pallies as possible. But anyway, on to the gory details...

The basics:
1. A paladin officer (at least 10th circle) initiates a call to arms over the gweths... And I know this will cause problems.. see Cons below. You would think something like (Calling all paladins from 10th to 15th circle to arms in the paladin guild armory) -->Sorry, have to say the circle... titles are too spread out
2. Paladins hearing the call respond immediately if they are in range, and are of appropriate rank.(If they're doing this little RP thing)
3. The paladins congregate in the designated area (Last one to get there has to carry the boxes <g>) and the officer gives them a briefing of what is being hunted.
4. Tactics are briefly discussed and the officer requires all paladins to do an armor check. Then it is decided who will hold the treasure.
5. Length of time to hunt is set.
6. All loot is always split evenly.

The officer's responsiblities:
1. Primarily to ensure that everyone is alive and learning.
2. Keep courage up.
3. Select a room in which to hunt.
4. Teach evasion (or if something more useful can be found... which I doubt) because this tends to lock last for most of us who can't ever get out of the way (paladins). Plus everyone needs it.
5. Decide when to leave. And if anyone punches out early they can't split the loot. But most likely I would tell them to grab a few boxes before they go.
6. Constantly assess the situation to see who needs help.
7. You're there to help train the youngins, not steal kills... bring a non-primary weapon or two.
8. You have to choose a critter you can fight in your sleep... so be a good 10 circles above those you intend to lead.

The rest of the group's responsibilities:
1. The main object of this type of unit will be training... thus if you are not learning well tell the officer.
2. Signal if you need help... and help others in need.
3. Carry whatever stuff you are supposed to carry when you can; help keep the room clean.
4. Do what your CO says.

Pros:
-A great RP experience for everyone involved
-Teaching experience for the officer, some backtraining possible
-Leadership practice for the officer
-Managing of more complex combat situations for everyone involved
-Some money for everyone involved
-Getting to meet and become familiar with the members of our guild and make friends in the process
-A way to encourage all of us as paladins to be in combat more (refer to new reqs)
-Makes our guild stronger

Cons/problems:
-You have to switch to a title (if you are leading) that is higher than the group you are leading.
(For the military-style training thing to work, it has to be done like this-private Smith wouldn't follow someone calling themself private Jenkins even if Jenkins were a general NOR would any self respecting general call himself a private!)
-Not everyone has a gweth, but perhaps some effort can be made to purchase them for new pallies (make a circle req though so people don't abuse our generosity... like 7th or something). Communication is vital in a guild based on leadership though...
-Lack of participation - You can't really force people into doing this sort of thing. It seems like some people just kind of play DR as a job more than as a roleplaying game. Ah well, we'll have to see who's interested.
-People knowing what a "call to arms" is - I'm not too great at spreading the word, but I am open to all suggestions on this... likely they would be done on the hour so people can free themselves up.
-Setting it up in a semi-formal way so that it doesn't feel like just another hunting trip
-People thinking, "Paladins train better alone" - This one I semi agree with. When hunting in a mixed group I often fing myself wishing things didn't have to always die quite so quickly. This system is designed so that everyone's primary focus is the learning aspect... so that your CO might even order you to dance with your critter a while even if that's not what you normally do.
-Large gatherings of paladins would tend to be quite the target for thieves (completely different from reality... a group of knights in training would be something a thief would stay away from.. but I promised myself I wouldn't complain again so that's why it's in parentheses)

If you've got problems with the pros, counsel on the cons, or any advice or comments at all please post away!
Paladins only please, this is supposed to be "our" thing.

Happy hunting.
-Caneghem Urathi

-I've got blisters on me fingers!

P.S. This is the longest post I've ever written and probably will stay that way
Re: A call to arms 06/11/2003 06:17 PM CDT
It is worth a shot. Perhaps try working some with the current Paladin mentors and how to implement what you want and to understand the logistical issues and such.

Daython
Re: A call to arms 06/11/2003 06:28 PM CDT
Mind putting some of those names down?
I'd really like to see this happen (and hopefully have a hand in it happening).

Happy hunting.
-Caneghem Urathi

-I've got blisters on me fingers!
Re: A call to arms 06/11/2003 06:57 PM CDT
Start with Phanton, I know he is pretty busy but he always seems to be able to make time for ideas like this.

Daython
Re: A call to arms 06/11/2003 09:09 PM CDT
I like the idea actually. I was thinking of how to improve it. In my mind when I think Call to Arms I keep getting the image of WC3 and peasants getting weapons to fight for a limited amount of time.

What you proposed sounded more like an Order Hunt but with the Order being the Paladins. Not that it's a bad idea, it's a good one in my mind. After the teaching nights we used to take young Paladins to hunting trips to show them the combat tips we gave and have some fun. If you're interested feel free to contact me so you can go with us next time it happens.

Phanton
Re: A call to arms 06/12/2003 06:00 AM CDT
If you need a mid level paladin(40s), I tend to do stuff similar on my own and could gladly lead a group, or join a group somewhere I have no business behind one of you big chaps.

AIM - HIMKoI

Samsaren Remlane
I stand, here and now, proudly declaring, I am a Paladin.
Remember those that came before, remember honor.
Re: A call to arms 06/13/2003 01:56 AM CDT
Hmm... sounds like a possible mentor idea, yeah.

Mentor Calemnon