Group Ideas 04/26/2003 07:05 PM CDT
Here as some ideas I had to make group combat something to be favored over soloin... paladin only ideas futher down.

Any leader of a group can <signal group to (command)> to alter group combat. These commands are pretty simple but still help out. <attack (target)> makes everyone face the same bugger. <retreat (direction)> makes everyone retreat until successful and then they head in the direction specified. <cease> keeps everyone from fighting for a time or until a new command is given.

Um... hmmm... The paladin commands are better and they have a bonus with the standard commands.

Ally (target group's leader) - Alliance: This renders the target and his group safe from a group's volley, charges, and holds. Of course, you can <break (target)> to break the alliance and make them fair game.

Shield - Shield wall: Everyone in the paladin's group who has a shield is set to stance shield 100% with the neccessary points split from the other stances. Everyone with a shield is considered in the front lines while non-shield users are behind him. These shield users are standing side by side with their shields in front of them. The mechanics is that everyone in the group benefits from increased defense and only the shield users go to melee. This is especially effective against ranged or spells as they strike the wall of shields. Downside is that the shield users can not attack at all while everyone behind them has their offense penalized slightly. With enough skill, a paladin can set up a shield wall with spears and blades poking through so that anyone who attacks the wall gets wounded.

Hold (direction)- Hold the line: A tactical manuvuer where the paladin's group blocks off the exit specified. Anyone can enter the room but anyone who tries to exit through the held direction engages the paladin's group unless the paladin <signal group to pass (target)> and lets them through. Once Hold is engaged, other commands can be given such as Shield to create an almost indestructible wall of defenders blocking the way for the invaders.

Volley (target/unspecified) - All bow users fire at once into a wave of enemies if unspecified or at one person if targeted. If unspecified, everyone not in the paladin's group is a random target but evasion is not nullified as its all luck. Hard to dodge if you are not sure the person is aiming at you. Of course, without enough archers this kind of volley is pointless as there is a random chance to miss. A targetted volley still gives the opponent the chance to defend but each consecutive shot lowers that chance. So he may dodge the first three arrows, get hit by an expert archer, have his defenses dropped from being hit, then get filled with arrows by the rest of the group. All archers automatically load after a volley.

Charge (target/unspecified) - All warriors with a weapon drawn charge the enemy and strike in unison. If unspecified, the target is random and but with enough people in a group, everyone not in the paladin's group is guaranteed a strike. Its a wall of blades and spears sweeping the area. Without enough people, a random chance to miss applies and you could run right past your opponent. If specified, everyone attacks the same person but evasion and other defenses apply. However, as with volley, each successful hit lowers the target's defenses. Standard combat commences with all warriors at the appropiate range (melee or pole) for their weapon. If a target charge, then they are all facing the same opponent.

Overbear (target) - Overbear: For when you want the bugger alive. Everyone in your group sheaths their weapon and tackles the opponent. Everyone recieves a bonus to the attempt and most failures are instead partial tackles with the soldier grabbing onto the target's ankle or something. Each partial or full tackle lowers the target's defenses until he is finally on the ground with a group of people on top of him. Neither the party nor the target can move or attack but anyone who tries to attack the target instead randomly hits one of the people on top of him.

If you see a man screaming profanities while 'beating' a snowbank with a snowshovel, don't worry...

That's just me.
Re: Group Ideas 04/27/2003 01:53 AM CDT
I'd like an ability to have the group devide up and have everyone face different targets. That can help get rid of a ton of the problems with everyone attacking 1 target while the rest of the enemies slaughter you.
Re: Group Ideas 04/27/2003 01:55 AM CDT
Also, I really like the idea of having formations, where when you close to melee on the front line guy, you're at pole with the guy behind him with a halberd, and still at missile with the guy behind the halberdier with a longbow. And I like the idea of allowing formations to protect rear-liners, making the front-line folks automatically guard them.
Re: Group Ideas 04/27/2003 11:21 AM CDT
I like the ideas. I think those are definately worth looking into because being a good leader would then have people come look for you in battle instead of just join someone who can type lead and hit enter

Phanton