Glyph of Ward 04/17/2004 09:05 AM CDT
This glyph should give the paladin a temporary boost to defences when traced upon him/herself, a la MPP.

>You trace the glyph of ward over your body.
>A shimmering aura appears around you.

Another idea is to have GoW create a circle of protection around the paladin. This circle of protection would be ingrained into the ground. The actual glyph simbol would appear and slightly damage the enemies at melee of the paladin. This damage would increase with Charisma, circle and soul state. As well as the distance of affect. This would be on a timer, so that as soon as it is traced, it is at full strength, and with time it starts loosing potency, eventually extinguishing itself.

>Fine tendrils cover the ground around your body, reaching out to all enemies at meleee.

>Tendrils cover the ground around your body, reaching out to all enemies at pole.

>Brilliant tendrils cover the ground around your body, reaching out to everything in sight.

Ecoles

You can say %(&!#. You might even be able to get away with **&$##!%%#^. But @&^%!%? Man, keep that to yourself.
Re: Glyph of Ward 04/17/2004 09:32 AM CDT
<<<Another idea is to have GoW create a circle of protection around the paladin. This circle of protection would be ingrained into the ground. The actual glyph simbol would appear and slightly damage the enemies at melee of the paladin. This damage would increase with Charisma, circle and soul state. As well as the distance of affect. This would be on a timer, so that as soon as it is traced, it is at full strength, and with time it starts loosing potency, eventually extinguishing itself.>>>

I love this idea. Mayhaps have it slightly damage as critter advance on you and draw closer to the center of they circle. OR even even slow/speed up the rate at which critters advance.

Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Use that beer sponge you call a brain!
Re: Glyph of Ward 04/17/2004 07:32 PM CDT
If someone aims or targets you trace ward on them. It already will hinder the target or aiming ability of attackers.

Crusader Taghz

I'd rather be in the Penalty Box!
Re: Glyph of Ward 04/17/2004 09:06 PM CDT
What Taghz said.

Would be great if it also worked on critters, or we could just trace it on ourselves instead of those targetting us.

--Just a "clueless" Squire
Re: Glyph of Ward 04/18/2004 02:10 AM CDT
I know that, and I bet Kolaisa knows that too. I'm asking for more usages for the same thing. Everything about ward is traced on others. Give me something for me. Personally I like the second idea.

Ecoles

You can say %(&!#. You might even be able to get away with **&$##!%%#^. But @&^%!%? Man, keep that to yourself.
Re: Glyph of Ward 04/18/2004 09:35 AM CDT
If self traced, I'd love to see it slow the advancement of critters to melee. This would be a great tool for swarmed hunting and for RP.

Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Use that beer sponge you call a brain!
Re: Glyph of Ward 04/18/2004 12:57 PM CDT
If traced on self, it hinders more then if traced on others...but make it two effect.:

>Trace ward Kon
You trace the warding glyph over yourself and feel a sudden rush of holy power as your image wavers and splits to form a mirror immage of you.

The effect giving a random bonus to evasion or a hindrance to the targeters weapon or TM ranks. Amount of bonus determined by concentration and charisma.

As well, if coupled with tracing the ward on aimer or caster the effect can be stacked. The double image of you, and the effect of blurred eyesight, or something to that effect.

Makes the glyph usable for a live Paladin, as opposed to a dead everything else.

The trouble with using experience as a guide is that the final exam often comes first and then the lesson. ~Author Unknown
Glyph of Ward quest help 01/20/2005 08:31 PM CST
I had a question about the glyph of warding quest.

I know where to go, what to do, etc. However, I'm getting a message saying that I should "rest and contemplate". This may be the same thing another paladin was talking about earlier, so if it is I apologize.

If that happens to be the case, is there somewhere I can tithe in Shard?

Thanks,

Shoggothar
Re: Glyph of Ward quest help 01/21/2005 12:18 AM CST
If you failed the first time, you have to wait awhile before you can attempt it again. Otherwise your soul needs to be gleaming with pristine luminescense so that could be it too. Not sure if there is a place to tithe in shard.

~Malyck
Re: Glyph of Ward quest help 01/21/2005 01:55 AM CST
Your soul pool must also be full, so once you're at pristine soul you'll need to wait a while to let your soul pool actually fill up. And also, for every tithe and tend that boosts soul you'll have to wait for the soul pool to completely refill to its new maximum. Soul pool fills up extremely slowly in case you were wondering.

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: Glyph of Ward quest help 01/22/2005 01:02 AM CST
There's a tithe box beyond one of arches in the temple of light. I forget which one though.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Glyph of Warding 01/20/2009 10:55 AM CST
If you fail the quest the first time, how long do you have to wait before you can do it again?

Also, the Guildleader in Crossing should not say "Through the soulstone arch HERE" if the orb is in Shard.
Re: Glyph of Warding 01/20/2009 11:26 AM CST
As soon as you get your soul back to prestine.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Glyph of Warding 01/20/2009 11:51 AM CST
The archway gleams with a pristine luminescence in welcome!

You attempt to focus on the orb, but you feel you need to rest and contemplate a bit first.

Failed yesterday. Cannot try again today.
Re: Glyph of Warding 01/20/2009 01:01 PM CST
Have you tried going back to crossing and starting over. Sorry its been 7+ years since I did this....

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Glyph of Warding 01/20/2009 01:16 PM CST
I circled and then was able to try again, and succeeded.
Re: Glyph of Warding 01/20/2009 05:06 PM CST
Congrats.

Crusader Taghz

Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 12:48 PM CST
Is there any intention to change the cost of an additional favour for departing with this up or is it part of the intended new(ish) depart mechanics? I seem to remember reading something about it but can't recall what the consensus was and can't find any posts on it to spite my half-hearted attempts at navigating the boards.

As far as I can tell, the only reason to give a corpse a glyph of warding is to save them the extra keystrokes for ITEMS provided they don't mind walking back to touch the glyph.

- Anuind
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 12:51 PM CST
Departing with a ward costs the person departing one less favor, as I understand it.

They changed this around the same time that they fixed depart items keeping a paladin's items in their autoward rather than having them go with the paladin.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 12:57 PM CST
I actually found a post about this recently. I'll have to see if I can find it again but it specifically mentioned a possible change to 'make ward more attractive' since the death/depart changes.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 01:14 PM CST
>>Departing with a ward costs the person departing one less favor, as I understand it.<<

So if you DEPART FULL with a ward it only costs you two favours rather than three? I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse, I really have no idea. I'd just noticed the other night I warded someone twice during an invasion and she indicated that with a generic DEPART it was costing her two favours a go.

>>I actually found a post about this recently. I'll have to see if I can find it again but it specifically mentioned a possible change to 'make ward more attractive' since the death/depart changes.<<

Brilliant! Thanks very much Glemm and Kattena!
- Anuind
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 01:16 PM CST
<<So if you DEPART FULL with a ward it only costs you two favours rather than three?>>

Right- that's how I understand it.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 01:18 PM CST
Well if that doesn't just beat all. You're a wellspring of Paladin knowledge Glemm, thanks kindly!

- Anuind
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 01:29 PM CST
I wouldn't go that far, but you're welcome, sir.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 01:37 PM CST
And just so we all can pretend I'm not crazy:

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=1&topic=1&page=14

Death 3.0 post, item #7, I think.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 01:39 PM CST
nobody called your sanity into question, spaz

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 01:41 PM CST
I did....I thought I totally imagined reading that somewhere.

~Kattena

Re: Glyph of Warding 02/23/2010 02:00 PM CST
That's the post I was thinking of! Thanks for the footwork and the link Kattena, you saved me a month of backtracking at the snails pace I make it through here heh.

- Anuind
Glyph of Warding 09/30/2010 05:02 PM CDT
Got the info secondhand so not totally sure on this... Apparently the information from the guild leader about where to quest for a 'white orb' doesn't even hint to check other cities than the crossing... Just says to check beyond the soulstone arch. Any chance of putting a hint or straight up word about where to go? It is difficult for a brand new novice to know that other cities/guilds/archways exist even.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms0
Re: Glyph of Warding 09/30/2010 07:11 PM CDT
I can tell you that I helped a new paladin a week or two ago with that. He was convinced the orb was in Crossing because of the wording of what the guildleader said. I may still have what he pasted me.

Well, I have the secondary message, when he asked Verika again:

>>ask veri about quest
>>Sir Verika looks at you and says slowly, "You wish to know more of the simple quest I gave you? Ahh well, if you did not listen well enough the first time... Seek the white orb through the soulstone arch and focus upon its powers. If found worthy, you will have your reward."

He did say that the original message simply said 'in the guild', didn't specify which or where.

~Katt

Re: Glyph of Warding 09/30/2010 07:36 PM CDT
they wrote the instructions for the quest before the soulstone arch in the crossing guild existed. And unfortunately, they didn't change the wording in the quest to reflect the fact that it is not within the crossing guildhall that you need to go.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Glyph of Warding 09/30/2010 08:30 PM CDT
i think shard existed after the soulstone arch, correct? i always remembered it being there around the time p2 was released.

the wording of the quest is pretty vague, though.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Glyph of Warding 09/30/2010 08:52 PM CDT
shard existed, although it existed after p2. <shards in p3>. at least since 1996, my second character ever walked shortly after shard's release when he encountered a snowbeast and didn't have favors. Poor Fredinthal, the dwarven barbarian...

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Glyph of Warding 10/01/2010 09:40 AM CDT
yeah, meant p3. oops.

-Mr. Glemm