Prev_page Previous 1
Glyph of Light 01/17/2003 12:46 AM CST
Hey, how about lowering the soul power cost of this glyph? From what I can tell, it costs WAY too much soul for its effectiveness... it is by far our most costly user of soul power. GoL uses around 3 times as much soul power as GoM, and at least twice as much as our old Lead did. Not sure if new lead has less soul cost than old lead, but it should since lead was downtweaked...
Re: Glyph of Light 01/17/2003 07:49 AM CST
GoLight's actually the one glyph I do find useful. :P

The soul use isn't as noticable once you have a few circles and a bit of charisma under your belt, I believe.

The duration gets pretty sweet, too.
Glyph of Light 04/28/2003 04:59 PM CDT

I think it would be a good idea if that while you're on this quest, lift fees are waived.
Don't want to say anything more, but for someone who isn't familiar with the city, the consequences of not having enough money on this particular journey are way too severe, as anyone who's failed the quest will no doubt tell you.

Dandon

"Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer" ~ Jack Handy
Re: Glyph of Light 04/28/2003 08:20 PM CDT
No offience intended, but I live near there, and I've never even seen the lifts, let alone ride em...

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Glyph of Light 04/28/2003 08:27 PM CDT
Dandon,

I understand your point, but I believe this was asked a year or so ago and the response was.. there "are" other ways down besides the lifts. And back then.. the "other" way was limited to TWO alternatives. As of today, there are THREE alternatives (one less risky to life and limb if you can climb certain areas with the torch.. not sure as I haven't tested this myself) I think. Plus.. the thinking person, knowing they have to go UP to the guild on the third tier via paying lift fees, they should be forward thinking enough to realize they'll need to come back DOWN again.

Redarch
Re: Glyph of Light 04/28/2003 11:22 PM CDT
Very true Redarch.

I died on this quest. And well its not really all that hard. As long as you go by yourself and not have friends around that make you laugh.
Re: Glyph of Light 04/28/2003 11:44 PM CDT
It could be a little more descriptive on what you can and can't do. I got in trouble simply for trying to focus on ____. I finished the quest, and it was pretty neat, but it just seems a little strict and too vague at parts.

Dandon

"Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer" ~ Jack Handy
Re: Glyph of Light 04/28/2003 11:52 PM CDT
i almost died from bowing after getting what i needed to return to darius and then chuckling from the outcome of the bow... double whammy

Re: Glyph of Light 04/29/2003 08:23 AM CDT
>>I got in trouble simply for trying to focus on

thats where it all started, amost died again when i got to Darius.
Re: Glyph of Light 04/29/2003 10:27 AM CDT
Heh. I failed the quest because I used the wrong syntax when I got back to Darius. Oh man, that sucked. Didn't die though... You guys died from the... "effects"?
Re: Glyph of Light 04/29/2003 11:45 AM CDT
Almost died from wounds sustained when I tended a dying person at the dock who was too injured to tend. Made it back with enough vitality to finish though (train stamina...)

Cheers - Cyllwdd
Glyph of Light 07/22/2003 04:03 AM CDT
What the hell happened? I realize it was probably quite a bit overpowered before.. but now it doesn't even seem to be working.

I'm sitting here in Lang and a barbarian is hiding. I know he's a barbarian cause he roared earlier. So I search him out, I spotting signs of him every 5 or 6 searches. I searched for a long time, couldn't find him.

So I decide to turn on GoL. Exact same. I'm spotting him about every 5 or 6 searches.

Has anyone else played with it since it fell within the global caps? Anyone else have different or similar results?

Litharius
Re: Glyph of Light 07/22/2003 07:49 AM CDT
It took a signifigant hit.
Re: Glyph of Light 07/23/2003 09:49 AM CDT
It appears to be used primarily as a light source now. Although that statement is somewhat in jest, that is the primary reason I use it anymore.

Madigan
Re: Glyph of Light 07/23/2003 12:24 PM CDT
GoL still gives a perception boost, it's just not like +100 or something anymore. More like +40 or something.

It does make a great light source, though.

I'm hoping the soul hit can be reduced still, though. Especially since a capped Clear Vision appears to do more anyway.
Re: Glyph of Light 08/12/2003 12:50 AM CDT

I wish GOL had alittle more kick to it and some other uses besides a good flash light. How about having a profound effect against critters of the shadows. Like Dark Fiends and other undeads that are shadow based or more prone to come out in the dark.
Maybe Severely disorienting critters like Dark fiends maybe even weakening them. How about making it where critters that like to hide can no longer find a shadow or hide in the shadows with the glyph going. How about it blinding and effecting a stun on normal critters when used. Make them lose balance maybe fall over(or allow to retreat from a large swarm). How about through out its use it keeps them from balancing or fighting as effectively? I think there could be some more uses to the glyph. Its okay as it is but would be nice to make if more effecting in a offensive/defenceive mode. Just a thought.

Ibec Alshaerd of Zoluren

"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."
Re: Glyph of Light 08/12/2003 04:48 AM CDT
The power of GoL is more noticable when you're set up properly for it.

The fact that I get a few dozen ranks worth of perception and a capable light source (that doesn't take up any hand space) for 30 minutes or so is a pretty good thing.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com

Re: Glyph of Light 08/12/2003 10:47 AM CDT
And I get the feeling/sickening kick in the groin that light sources may become important in DR 2... or at least one would hope so.

Absorb...
and Transform!!!
Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 01:39 AM CST
Hey, Maece, here's something to look into.

Considering how Glyph of Light is under global caps, and the spells Earth Meld and Shadows are also under global caps, any way of looking into having GOL give at least HALF the boost to perception as these spells give to hiding? Cuz right now it ain't anywhere near half.....

I think it should give the same amount of boost considering they're under same global caps, but hey, what do I know?

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 06:13 AM CST
No offience big guy, but if your still chewing over your spar with Ivy, don't forget the ranger bonus, its HEFTY. Your dealing with base ranks + bonus + EM, thats just sick. My personal complaint is this, while the boost is a about equal to, or a hair higher then a capped CV(going by a juggle test, 50 juggles, yes, I was that bored[mind sleeping as well]), the soul drain on GoLight is disgustingly large. I think best case I can keep it up for half an hour, maybe even an hour(doubt it), but you can realisticly keep CV up all the time.

Samsaren Remlane
Remember those that came before, remember honor.
Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 01:46 PM CST
GoLight's boost is based on your charisma and perception skill. Try getting more. :P

http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html

Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 05:28 PM CST
>GoLight's boost is based on your charisma and perception skill. Try getting more. :P

Why? It's easier, more beneficial and less costly to carry an Avaes rune.

Litharius

No sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

-Stewie Griffin
Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 07:02 PM CST
that's true about the rune, but it balances out because GoL is just so nifty to watch and there are just oh-so-many ways to gain soul back with good consistency so why not use it all the time!

hrm.. that's a good tale, I shoulda been a bard.

Horitu the Tog
Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 07:17 PM CST
>>Why? It's easier, more beneficial and less costly to carry an Avaes rune.

GoL costs less, requires nothing, lasts longer, and can eventually give a larger bonus. It is also instant and not dependent upon the moons.

It's a lightsource, as well.

Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 08:45 PM CST
>GoL costs less, requires nothing,

might want to reword that, also I don't believe I've seen a GoL give a larger perception boost than a max'd CV. If you've got test results I'd deffinatly be interested in seeing it.

Horitu the Tog
Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/04/2003 11:47 PM CST
>>If you've got test results I'd deffinatly be interested in seeing it.

I ran tests.

Capped CV let me go from juggling 3-4 books to 5-6. GoL did the same.

Capped CV lasts ~21 minutes. GoL lasts ~30. By the time GoL wears off, I'm at full soul pool again.

Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/06/2003 12:36 AM CST
Pure, what's your charisma and circle again?

Trantris says, "Save the oratory for the enemy, Poetus. It just might be our only hope."
Re: Glyph of Light's perception boost 12/06/2003 11:00 AM CST
High 50s, 30 charisma, around 230 perception.

Glyph of Light... 09/27/2007 11:56 AM CDT
Can I fail this thing on purpose and restart it later? I went to ask Eamonn about exp to level up and he gave me the damned quest. Now, there's atleast 1.5 hrs until I can get anywhere near the mainland. I don't want to sit around and do nothing the whole time waiting for a boat. Can you help me?
Re: Glyph of Light... 09/27/2007 07:45 PM CDT
Yes, you can fail and redo it another time. I feel your pain on the boats, when I did it there wasn't player boats, and I failed once, and missed the Skirr the second time. Fun times, really.

Samsaren
Glyph of Light 02/01/2010 02:56 PM CST
So I just spent about five hours working on this quest, only to get to the Crossing and fail right in front of Verika.

I tried to GIVE VERIKA and ASK VERIKA ABOUT QUEST but neither worked. I don't like syntax puzzles... was I doing something wrong?

From Eamonn:
>>"Yer test be a simple one, Nivif. You must take this torch into the Chapel and pray. After you receive yer guidance, continue on yer pilgrimmage to the Guild in The Crossing and speak to Verika. It is there that you will prove your dedication and concentration."

I also noticed that the Quest information is incorrect. After praying in the appropriate spot:

>>You must journey far, to the city of The Crossing, and present my Light to the noble Sir Darius.

Who is no longer in the Crossing, but in Forfedhar.

Any advice before I screw this up again?

:(

GENT
Re: Glyph of Light 02/01/2010 03:05 PM CST
I can give you roundtrip gates between Xing and Forfedhar if you need. Just IM me at unboundbyrules.

Look up the guild location on the map yourself, though.
Re: Glyph of Light 02/01/2010 03:14 PM CST
I appreciate the offer.

Do I need to give the torch to Verika or to Darius? Because based on the information provided by the quest itself, it is both people.

Has anyone recently completed the quest successfully?

Thanks!
GENT
Re: Glyph of Light 02/01/2010 03:16 PM CST
Sorry, been too long. However, it appears this issue came up with Darius was moved to Hib and V took his place. Here is the post from Maece saying V should accept the torch. I will look and see if I can find any syntax stuff for you:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=30&topic=15&message=1308

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Glyph of Light 02/01/2010 03:19 PM CST
<<syntax puzzles

Why the syntax is different than normal game mechanics, when it's clear you are doing the right thing is beyond me.

give torch to verika

Let Lyras win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaOeAxy0GU
Re: Glyph of Light 02/01/2010 05:41 PM CST
Thank you both -- the correct syntax was indeed GIVE TORCH TO VERIKA.

I appreciate all the willingness to help and all the great advice I've been getting from you guys (Paladins and such) both IG and on the boards!

GENT
Glyph of Light Problem 09/22/2010 01:57 PM CDT
When you are preforming the Glyph of Light, typing DIR PAL once you get to the Crossing, shouldn't qualify as a failing action. It's an OOC command, not an IC command.

Player of Aspasia Darkbrook, Defender of the Faith, Paladin of Ilithi.

<<Peace is not the absence of conflict, it is the presence of justice.>>
Re: Glyph of Light Problem 09/22/2010 02:50 PM CDT
You trace the Glyph of Light.

A brief burst of pain wracks your body and your soul feels somewhat diminished. Slowly, five globes of light extrude from your fingertips and begin to glow brightly.

The tiny balls of light swirl around you, darting around your body making your vision incredibly clear and lighting the area surrounding you.

>dir paladin 20
Directions towards the Crossing Paladin Guild: GO arched doorway, GO marble arch, and you're there.

?

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Glyph of Light Problem 09/22/2010 03:18 PM CDT
I believe she's speaking of the Quest, in which case ANY command thats not strictly following the directions of the quest is a bad idea. Don't 'Gog uild' either. In fact, I'd suggest finding a partner to lead you around to prevent pain. Though one could argue that a good chest bleeder is a nice way to remind you how armor training is going to feel in another few levels.

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: Glyph of Light Problem 09/23/2010 12:52 AM CDT
Heyo!

I was made aware of this problem earlier. I'll see what I can do about making that quest a little less sensitive to the OOC verbs like DIR, ASSIST, etc over the next week or so, but like all such systems (play, climb, etc), making it a foolproof system is all but impossible with things the way they are designed now.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Prev_page Previous 1