Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 06:51 PM CST
Hiya Paladins. I haven't played in a long while, but started playing again yesterday and was wondering if one of you would answer a question for me.

Am just about circle 58 and was curious about getting my Holy weapon. I remember that I had not bothered with it due to the need to recharge. I also remember that a few people had.. im not sure, portable devices that allowed them to recharge their holy weapons where ever?

That does exist, right? Is there any way to obtain one, or is it still highly exclusive?

Are there more areas to recharge (if they are exclusive)? Basically I determined (back when I did play) that Holy weapons were not worth it until I could get something that allowed me to recharge without spending hour(s) to do it.

Is that faulty logic?
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 06:55 PM CST
the holy weapon icons are still not something released to the general public.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 07:04 PM CST
It would only take hours to recharge it if you were hunting on Ratha, Hara'jaal, or Aesry.

The three current locations are in Crossing, Shard, and Mer'Kresh.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 07:04 PM CST
Thanks for the quick response. That is a shame, I was so stoked to get a Holy weapon until I realized how much time would be spent just to make sure I can use it.

I assume since they have been around for so long, that there are no intentions of releasing these? (expensive in a shop, or through a quest)

Any one know why? Would surely make my year to get a chance to obtain one.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 07:39 PM CST
They were intended to be mass released, and IIRC it was quest based.

But priorities shifted and etc etc etc never happened yet.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 08:02 PM CST
Icons were given away in competitions a few times, but the most recent one I know of (guildhall design) never issued the prizes, though the winners were chosen. Someone else recently posted that they hadn't received their reward for the guildhall design competition, and I never received mine either.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 08:23 PM CST
I never got why some thought it isn't worth it. If you use the holy weapon as your main weapon, yes you'll go through charges rapidly. If you're hunting in a province that has a recharge site however, especially with needing to repair equipment now, it's not really a big deal to run by and re-charge the weapon. If you have it as a back up weapon, for use when you want to kill something cursed/undead, it'll last even longer, and works great for this. Most of us have enough strength/stamina that one extra weapon won't kill us burden wise. I say get the weapon if you have time to do the quest, and at least keep it around for when you need a quality blessed item. With enough circles / charisma it develops quite a large number of charges.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/01/2011 10:18 PM CST
It would be my main weapon. Even if you do hunt close by to a recharge site, its just an annoyance to have to leave and make a special stop.

With enough charisma and such, I'm sure it lasts a pretty good time, but its still a recurring trip you have to make.

I have enough trips I have to make that force me to leave my hunting spots, I'm not sure I want to commit to any more!

Though with an icon, I would be all over that quest.

If those were intended to be available via a quest that will never be put in, they should put them in a shop. I'd pay a lot for it, at least.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/02/2011 03:18 AM CST
What I'm saying is, if you don't want to deal with more frequent recharging, get it as a backup weapon. It's very useful to have a powerful blessed weapon just in case. I've got way over 500 strikes per charge, and I don't even have the highest level weapon yet. Especially just using it as a backup, I don't see a five minute charge time all that big a deal for the benefits. I do wish there was a chance to get the icons, or at least 1 charge spot per province. Maybe even get rid of having to be somewhere special to charge it but, even with current limitations, I believe it's worth getting and having.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/04/2011 02:46 PM CST
Go ahead and do the quest. Get it for your main weapon. If it runs out, no big deal, just recharge it a couple of times.

You get soul for charging it, so at least that's a little bonus.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/07/2011 02:58 PM CST
I think most of us that don't get the holy weapon are doing so on the basis that the concept seems flawed. A knight that cannot use his weapon because it will deplete diminishes the paladin experience in my eyes.

When I picture a Paladin at war he carries his best weapon, a shield, and his armor. I personally don't care for the RP in training/carrying a small armory on my back while fighting, but have done so purely for mechanical reasons. I'm excited to soon be able to reduce my weapon count in the very near future.

Khohan
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/07/2011 03:00 PM CST
> I think most of us that don't get the holy weapon are doing so on the basis that the concept seems flawed. A knight that cannot use his weapon because it will deplete diminishes the paladin experience in my eyes.

And it could be easily said that a knight that feels they need to swing their sword 500+ times before taking a break is arrogant, and that diminishes the paladin experience.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/07/2011 03:03 PM CST
I never got my holy weapon because the idea of losing a once-in-a-lifetime* item due to something stupid was too unappealing to bother doing the quest. Also, not being able to holy-smite a PC with it wasn't based on any kind of IC logic and more in the realm of "Paladins shouldn't attack Humans played by other players but Humans placed by the computer are okay for some reason" meta-craziness that the Paladin soul system tends to waddle around in.

*although AFAIK you can at least replace it once a year now or something right?

Re: Holy weapon question? 01/07/2011 03:15 PM CST
> although AFAIK you can at least replace it once a year now or something right?

Once every 365 days, but you need the old one in your possession.

> not being able to holy-smite a PC with it wasn't based on any kind of IC logic

Tyr used his every time he had to take down a necro.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/07/2011 03:18 PM CST
>>Once every 365 days, but you need the old one in your possession.

In that case, I still would probably not get a holy weapon. The idea of losing what is presented as a signature guild item forever with no hope of recovery seems bizarre to me.

>>Tyr used his every time he had to take down a necro.

Maybe it changed... or necros are just preset as not causing Paladin soul hits when fighting. I could have sworn reading somewhere forever ago that attacking a PC would result in the holy weapon going kaboom or something like that.

Re: Holy weapon question? 01/07/2011 03:25 PM CST
<<And it could be easily said that a knight that feels they need to swing their sword 500+ times before taking a break is arrogant, and that diminishes the paladin experience.>>

A break sure, but to go on a pilgrimage through 2-3 territories, a barge/ferry ride there and then back at the end of 500 swings is excessive.

It can also be said that 500 swings really isn't very much mechanically speaking in DR, especially if you have low roundtimes. With 500 strikes to use at 3 second roundtimes and a continuous flow of opponents you would deplete your weapon in 25 minutes. It could quite easily then cost you more real life time than that to go recharge the weapon based on where you are.

I won't debate the issue more as this is the wrong forum and just wanted to point out how small a time the blade might actually last in order to illustrate that a holy weapon's expiration and the image conjured by what a Paladin actually is are different based on my perceptions and as of yet we still are defining who and what this guild can and should be.

Khohan
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/07/2011 04:03 PM CST
>>Maybe it changed... or necros are just preset as not causing Paladin soul hits when fighting. I could have sworn reading somewhere forever ago that attacking a PC would result in the holy weapon going kaboom or something like that.

I use mine all the time in spars and such also, even non-challenge situations and haven't had an issue. It may have changed. But, I do know that if you attack someone with it while you have a black soul...that's a different story. It will attack you back. Sort of neat to watch...lol.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/10/2011 09:10 AM CST
>>When I picture a Paladin at war he carries his best weapon, a shield, and his armor. I personally don't care for the RP in training/carrying a small armory on my back while fighting, but have done so purely for mechanical reasons. I'm excited to soon be able to reduce my weapon count in the very near future.

In a war situation, I see chaos. The paladin who doesn't have multiple weapons is dead once the blade is knocked out his hand.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/10/2011 04:19 PM CST
<<The paladin who doesn't have multiple weapons is dead once the blade is knocked out his hand.>>

Bond Weapon spell.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/10/2011 04:50 PM CST

>>Bond Weapon spell.<<

Checkmate.

~Silus
Banner first, ask questions later.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/10/2011 06:52 PM CST
<<Bond Weapon spell.

(aside: I can't wait for Magic 3.0! Bard power!)

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 09:30 AM CST
>>Bond Weapon spell.

I was speaking more along the lines of realistic combat. I don't think any knight carried only one weapon.

Further, there are many other spell choices before you get to Bond Weapon. I've always been told BW isn't worth it unless you're training a lodging thrown weapon.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 10:13 AM CST
<<I was speaking more along the lines of realistic combat.>>

how many weapons would knights in the real world carry into battle again?

also, what movie will you be using for reference, because I've seen the 13th warrior and I think it's usually around one or two.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 12:51 PM CST
Knights didn't carry any weapons, that is what their squire was for. :P

But really, lance, sword, mace/flail, maybe an axe? That would be about it..oh and a dirk.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 01:11 PM CST
Real knights didnt cast spells either. Seriously, realism has no place in DR and arguments based on them go nowhere.
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 02:18 PM CST
<<But really, lance, sword, mace/flail, maybe an axe? That would be about it..oh and a dirk.>>

wow, all at the same time huh, that's amazing.

how many suits of armor did they carry? you know, just in case the main one broke.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 04:00 PM CST
We are really bored on the p-forums it seems. I was thinking of starting a lore thread...

Madigan
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 04:03 PM CST
Hahah, I was just thinking, wow, it's sad that -this- is what we have left to talk about.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 04:09 PM CST
<<Hahah, I was just thinking, wow, it's sad that -this- is what we have left to talk about.

No kidding. I also find it sad that I read the bard forums with envy. Apologies to my very fine bard friends.

I think I will start a lore thread.

Madigan
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 04:36 PM CST
>>I also find it sad that I read the bard forums with envy.

I used to go read the Bard forums when I was feeling down to cheer myself up. Though the energy that was there a few years ago seems missing now. Or maybe I'm just reacting to it differently. <shrugs>
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 04:40 PM CST
yes, the "list your top ten skills" thread was an absolute blast

im not kidding at all i really enjoyed reading it

really

no for real though

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 05:23 PM CST
No wonder I stick to the Bard section more than here...
Re: Holy weapon question? 01/11/2011 05:29 PM CST
You know, I honestly think most of us, if not all, just sort of feel like we're in limbo. I mean, we know about the skill combining and the TDPs, but not the new guild reqs or exactly how our new skills will fit in (this is similar in every guild, though). We know the magic changes are coming, but not exactly how it will affect us as a guild. Then there's the event that is on hold because of the other development going on.

It's hard to discuss the changes or really much of anything guild specific when we don't really know where we're going yet. Even giving out training advice, I always feel like I need a disclaimer of 'This is all subject to change, soon.'

This isn't a complaint, either. Just sort of why I think there isn't much discussion going on here.

~Katt

Re: Holy weapon question? 01/12/2011 07:04 AM CST
Yeah- we are definitely in limbo, but you can't waste your time waiting on things.

This guild has been "waiting" in some form or another for the past decade (literally).

You either take the game as it is and let the changes come or you get yourself all bitter and hate the changes when they finally do come out because they've taken so long.

Just stop waiting and start playing. It's not like the GMs are going to work any faster if they see that there were three posts in the paladin folder on Tuesday.

-Mr. Glemm