Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 08:21 AM CDT
Hello, I am a 37th circle paladin and I would like to ask a few questions.

1. Stats. I am an Elf, and I like my defenses to be my focus. I've been favoring reflex, agility, and charisma. My strength is relatively up there too.

a. What does everyone else do?

b. What should my stats be by around 50th circle if I wanted to train most efficiently? I'm probably not going to follow the most efficient path, but a frame of reference would be great.

c. What specifically does charisma do? I am told to not neglect it but not really sure what it is specifically for. Is there a list of spells that factor in charisma?

2. Spells. When I train I am usually with a cleric friend, for whom I keep courage and lead up as much as I can. Or glyph of mana if the room mana is not great.

a. What spells do you use the most often in your day to day life?

b. What spells/abilities do you use in combat, and would it change if you weren't solo?

c. Is there a formula that can tell me how much mana I can put into a spell to have it consistently cast successfully?

3. Misc skills. What skills do you train that you don't necessarily need to circle, that you would recommend?

Any other advice?
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 08:34 AM CDT
If you don't have all your stats to at least 30. Then get them all to 30 first.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 09:25 AM CDT

a. What does everyone else do?

Get everything to 30 as Taghz said then its up to how you want to play your character.

b. What should my stats be by around 50th circle if I wanted to train most efficiently? I'm probably not going to follow the most efficient path, but a frame of reference would be great.

Depends on how you train. i'd focus on agility/reflex until 50th. this will help tremendously 50-100. at 100 I had 50 agility and reflex which is more than fine for hunting at that level. More can't hurt.

c. What specifically does charisma do? I am told to not neglect it but not really sure what it is specifically for. Is there a list of spells that factor in charisma?

Soul and spell contests are probably the most noticeable for a paladin. 30 is fine for 50th.

a. What spells do you use the most often in your day to day life?

I use RW by far and away more than any other spell for hunting. more damage = more exp so RW is great.

b. What spells/abilities do you use in combat, and would it change if you weren't solo?

Aside from RW, DA and SR are great. Courage and CrC also help. Doesn't change in groups or solo.

c. Is there a formula that can tell me how much mana I can put into a spell to have it consistently cast successfully?

No but it's always helpful to know what you can max all spells at. I suggest retesting every 5 circles or so.

3. Misc skills. What skills do you train that you don't necessarily need to circle, that you would recommend?

HUNT is awesome. Use cambs for Arcana. learn to skin (get belt worn knife). Appraise critters. collect dirt (or whatever teaches), fold paper and study compendium when no critters in your room.

it's not so much what skills you train but how many you can successfully train at all times. The more the better.

Side note: I train 6 melee + brawling at level and currently working up TM and ranged. I suggest to hunt in swarmy area and train as many weapons as possible so long as they are all learning after 1 or 2 cycles. Switch armors while hunting.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 09:51 AM CDT
>>Is there a list of spells that factor in charisma?

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Contested_spells

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Category:Versus_Will_Spells

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Category:Versus_Stamina_Spells

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Category:Versus_Agility_Spells

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Category:Versus_Spirit_Spells
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 10:13 AM CDT
Some good recommendations already, I'll throw in a bit extra.

>>1. Stats. I am an Elf, and I like my defenses to be my focus. I've been favoring reflex, agility, and charisma. My strength is relatively up there too.
Don't forget discipline, it's the 2nd statistic used in the shield usage skill. Also important for spell defense.

>>a. What spells do you use the most often in your day to day life?
When I hunt I cast Divine Armor before heading out into the field and keep Holy Warrior, Righteous Wrath, Heroic Strength and Courage up at all times. If I'm hunting somewhere I don't feel safe I'll use anti-stun. I use that in invasions too now that I think about it.

>>3. Misc skills. What skills do you train that you don't necessarily need to circle, that you would recommend?
Some good suggestions on this one already. First Aid isn't required your whole career but if your like me and you became a Paladin because you like to help people, train it! I've saved countless lives with my 300+ FA skill and courage.

>>Any other advice?
I'd just like to echo the person who said train multiple weapons. I didn't when I was young and I suffered for it. I currently train 7 at level and dabble with 5 others. I'd suggest picking up a blunt, they are very fun. 2HB is by far my favorite weapon.

Train more than just HP and shield too. Some train all armors, I just train the 4 metal armors personally.

If you want to get places quick, don't neglect swimming/climbing.

I also can't remember if someone suggested appraising critters in combat. Lores are somewhat easy for us to learn and appraisal is a useful skill.

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 11:44 AM CDT
Tbe whole stats to 30 thing, while good advice generally, is kind of useless early on. A lot of factors in play here, is your primary weapon 2HB or GS? (not likely, but stranger things happen), in such a case Stamina, Stength and Agility will be a primary focus rather then balanced stats early on. This is an extreme example, but only to prove a point that balanced early in life is not always best.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 11:47 AM CDT
>>Tbe whole stats to 30 thing, while good advice generally, is kind of useless early on. A lot of factors in play here, is your primary weapon 2HB or GS? (not likely, but stranger things happen), in such a case Stamina, Stength and Agility will be a primary focus rather then balanced stats early on. This is an extreme example, but only to prove a point that balanced early in life is not always best.

?? I see what you're saying but that's not a reason to not get everything to 30. Train str and stam up to 30 first then work on everything else but it's still a good idea to get everything to 30 before you start to specify.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 12:00 PM CDT

<< c. What specifically does charisma do? I am told to not neglect it but not really sure what it is specifically for. Is there a list of spells that factor in charisma? >>

Smite pool and soul pool, outside of spells in PVP situations this is where it is most important. Early in life it helps a ton, later you hardly see a difference.

<< 2. Spells. When I train I am usually with a cleric friend, for whom I keep courage and lead up as much as I can. Or glyph of mana if the room mana is not great. >>

By 50th you already have have most of the useful spells and are probably using them well already.

<< a. What spells do you use the most often in your day to day life? >>

My standard pre combat spellup script casts: Courage, Anti Stun, Divine Armor, Righteous Wraith and Holy Warrior. Anti stun generally at higher circles is useless, since one hit kills sort of negate the stun factor, but I cast it anyway and it the first spell I recast out of habit. HOW is awesome for learning parry, first thing I do when hunting is lock parry, but I only do it with HOW up ( so I have at least 60 in shield to keep my ass alive). DA is more a habit spell since I swap armor so much it really does not matter. RW, well thats our most useful spell, I never hunt without it.

<< b. What spells/abilities do you use in combat, and would it change if you weren't solo? >>

Solo means no LEAD, no much else changes, no PROTECT either of course.

<< c. Is there a formula that can tell me how much mana I can put into a spell to have it consistently cast successfully? >>

Most of our spells are easy to cap with HES being a exception. Buff spells you generally will cast at full prep with your max cast (experiment and learn what your max is) Spells like SF and Halt you do want to know what you can snap cast at, again, experiment and learn.

<< 3. Misc skills. What skills do you train that you don't necessarily need to circle, that you would recommend? >>

Perception and magic. Beyond that, lots of weapons and armor. Keep as many weapons as you can at hunting level, and a few at backtaining level.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 12:10 PM CDT
<< ?? I see what you're saying but that's not a reason to not get everything to 30. Train str and stam up to 30 first then work on everything else but it's still a good idea to get everything to 30 before you start to specify. >>

Generally, especially since EXP changes, I personally think in early life that mentals really should be less focused on in early life (with magic primes being an exception). The difference Str, Stam, Agil and Reflex make in early life make far more a difference. I could easily see a situation where a training those to 40 or more first while keeping metals at 25 or so would make sense (engaging in PvP frequently where your spells need the mentals for success being the factor that changes this).
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 12:22 PM CDT
If you are hunting with a cleric be sure to ask him to:
a) cast SAP on you- this will bump up your magics considerably- you will be able to cap some spells you can't cap yet.
b) cast MPP on you- probably does anyway- but just a reminder.
c) cast DA on the cleric- he will appreciate it.

A paladin and cleric hunting together has some nice synergy.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 12:27 PM CDT
>>he difference Str, Stam, Agil and Reflex make in early life make far more a difference.

Currently there's not much incentive to train Str much past 30 unless you're really burdened or wielding a HUGE weapon. Pretty much the same with stamina. Not going to argue on the Agil and Reflex as those are always useful but so are mentals.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 01:01 PM CDT
>>Currently there's not much incentive to train Str much past 30 unless you're really burdened or wielding a HUGE weapon. Pretty much the same with stamina.

I'm assuming my 89 stone mattock counts as a huge weapon, eh? Now that I have the RT down on it, it it's leagues better than my 2HE. Also strength helps with forging if that matters to you.

I'd have to disagree on your stance with stamina, just due to the fact that many of us train so many armors it's nice to be able to carry that much weight. Strength helps with this too.

To each his own would apply here I suppose. Personally strength is my highest stat with agility, stamina and reflex equal but below strength and all my mentals below that.

Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 01:34 PM CDT
1a: I personally got everything to 30, then focused on STR/STAM (I used heavy weapons). Then AGI/REF. If I were an elf I would have definately gone with AGI/REF instead of STR/STAM after the 30's.
1b: not sure
2a: My most commonly used spells are RW, HeS, AS, Courage
2b: I make use of stun foe often as well, and the smite foe ability. Doesn't really change if i'm grouped.
2c: -
3a: Perception/stalking with HUNT
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 01:52 PM CDT
>Currently there's not much incentive to train Str much past 30 unless you're really burdened or wielding a HUGE weapon. Pretty much the same with stamina. Not going to argue on the Agil and Reflex as those are always useful but so are mentals.

The benefits of strength and stamina are linear, whereas the benefits of agi/ref/int/wis are logarithmic. That's a fairly compelling reason right there.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 05:44 PM CDT
If you're not training Stamina you are gimping Spell vs Stamina (ie Stun Foe), and you may likely be in for a rude awakening, since the combat changes are slated to make fatigue more of an issue.

-Iskhhr

""Explanations are ephemeral. They are the sword and shield of the attack, and behind them hides motivation."
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 06:33 PM CDT
I don't agree with any of the advice posted so far.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 06:33 PM CDT
>I don't agree with any of the advice posted so far.

Troll on.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/19/2010 07:13 PM CDT
<< I don't agree with any of the advice posted so far. >>

You've been running the same gig for what, ten-twelve plus years now, Glemm? Don't you think its time to work a new angle? You're a decent enough fellow, but I am pretty sure at this point the only one left laughing is you, in quasi Gene Simmons fashion.

-Iskhhr

""Explanations are ephemeral. They are the sword and shield of the attack, and behind them hides motivation."
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 07:40 AM CDT
I'm sorry but I still do not agree with these assessments.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 08:05 AM CDT
<<I'm sorry but I still do not agree with these assessments.

You'll never convince the strength/stamina crowd that their method is less efficient and that burden really doesn't matter for a long time.

Hows that hope and change working out for you?
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 08:26 AM CDT
I'll also never convince people that it's silly to write these long diatribes answering novel questions like "what's the best way to make a new paladin" or "lol do i get anti stun of courage".

btw kids conflicts is just a couple of folders down if you would like to discuss this in a civilized manner

:D

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 09:03 AM CDT
I'm inclined to agree with Glemm, actually. This game is so diverse you'll get 18 answers to 1 simple question. In the end, it's up to you to figure out what works best for you. I do understand the mentality of wanting to know different ways to do something though, which is why I generally post what advice I can offer.

Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 09:48 AM CDT
<<I do understand the mentality of wanting to know different ways to do something though,

I always thought that people too lazy to read the 348634687439 threads with the exact same question were looking for the elite method.

Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 10:17 AM CDT
<< I always thought that people too lazy to read the 348634687439 threads with the exact same question were looking for the elite method. >>

It is hard to blame anyone for reposts considering how much of a pain it is to route through these forums for old posts, IMO.

-Iskhhr

"Explanations are ephemeral. They are the sword and shield of the attack, and behind them hides motivation."
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 10:26 AM CDT
<<It is hard to blame anyone for reposts considering how much of a pain it is to route through these forums for old posts, IMO.

It's 3 clicks. Hence, lazy.

Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 10:26 AM CDT
The answers change over time, based on mechanics changes. Also, some people like talking/writing about mechanics. I don't think it's silly to discuss DR mechanics on a DR message board.
Re: Basic paladin questions 03/21/2010 02:24 PM CDT
I could not find a search button or I would not have posted. Thanks for the answers, got some expected ones and some thorough ones.
Re: Basic paladin questions 06/13/2010 11:29 AM CDT
Long time Glemm, cant believe your still around. Do you still have that robocop thing from Herceles
Re: Basic paladin questions 06/13/2010 12:50 PM CDT
<<Long time Glemm, cant believe your still around. Do you still have that robocop thing from Herceles>>

Haha, yeah.

http://wraithglemm.com/robocop.html

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Basic paladin questions 06/14/2010 05:12 PM CDT
Glemm thanks for that post... that was a funny read! "Have a nice day."

Khohan