New to guild but not to the game 01/28/2010 10:05 AM CST
Hello, I just rolled up a new Paladin character, I have played for a while, mainly a Ranger and assorted magic and lore primes. Any suggestions on spell selection, please? I want to help others but also be effective in combat, and focus on magic as well as weapons and armor significantly.

I have a particular interest in tm, I heard we have one spell but it isn't on the list. Any thoughts on sentinel's resolve or righteous wrath for a newbie? Are they req spells or do ppl really use them?

This soul state can be hard to understand what are the best ways to keep it pristine or close at lower levels, seems tending works the best, I get now why so many Paladins marry or date Empaths. I don't want to marry for soul though. Also which are the best pike/halberd weapons available?
Re: New to guild but not to the game 01/28/2010 10:11 AM CST
Both SR and RW are great spells. Even at lower mana casts they make a noticeable impact. Courage and AS are kind of the consensus when it comes to learning your first spells.

Energy bolt works fine for training TM at lower ranks. Invest in a strange arrow scroll later on. I'm not too blown away by our TM spell.

Tending is fine for getting soul, but tithing is huge and a pilgrim's badge is necessary- get one as soon as you can.

There are forged halberds around that are pretty light. If you have the cash, you may want to invest in one of those until you can handle something heavier. Pikes are a waste of time in my opinion.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: New to guild but not to the game 01/28/2010 10:40 AM CST
>Pikes are a waste of time in my opinion.

I agree, in their current form. Hopefully after the rewrite...
Re: New to guild but not to the game 01/28/2010 10:45 AM CST
>>Mr. Glemm's post

Agree with everything Mr. Glemm said.

In addition:

You can work bolt for a long time before you need the paladin tm spell, I'm sure there will be better ones later on.

Tending is fine, but it's on a timer, I love the pilgrim’s badge. watch your usage of glyphs when you get them, especially glyph of light, that really sucks your soul pool.
Re: New to guild but not to the game 01/28/2010 11:18 AM CST
<<Both SR and RW are great spells. Even at lower mana casts they make a noticeable impact. Courage and AS are kind of the consensus when it comes to learning your first spells.

Courage is a pre-req for all of that mess. AS, SR, RW, DiG, TR, SP.

I wouldn't bother with Strange arrow or Footman's Strike as bolt works just fine at least into the 160's. By then, combat and magic may well have been rewritten and all of this info may be outdated.

<<There are forged halberds

Although its not pole-ranged, the short hafted halberd from Theren armory is pretty easy to work with until you get circles, skill, and strength accumulated. And its cheaper than forged, unless you get a free one.

Let Lyras win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaOeAxy0GU
Re: New to guild but not to the game 01/28/2010 11:53 PM CST
I train my spear at level with my other weapons with no problem. I'm not saying it couldn't use some lovin', but I enjoy it as it is. To each his own, and all that.

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: New to guild but not to the game 01/29/2010 08:43 AM CST
>I train my spear at level with my other weapons with no problem. I'm not saying it couldn't use some lovin', but I enjoy it as it is. To each his own, and all that.

I've never been a huge pike fan, but I recently discovered that I can train short staff at least as well as pike in adult armadillos. That's kind of sad.
Re: New to guild but not to the game 01/29/2010 10:37 AM CST
I've no thoughts on Sentinel's Resolve or RW for newbie paladins, as none of mine have either of those spells. I did choose Courage to help with burden- which is a new paladin's bane. Meanwhile, for TM, once you Perc, you will have access to Energy Bolt (Bolt). You will also have Ease Burden, which will also train magics.

Tending does have a timer for soul. You'll also want to kill undead: That gives a random boost, which is very nice. If you happen to be in Leth with a cleric, ask the cleric to preach to you from the book at Hodierna's Solace: That will also boost your soul, and the cleric's devotion. There is a similar book in the chapel in Theren Keep. You also can pray to Chadatru- especially in certain shrines, or get Chadatru favors. I've also heard that tracing Glyph of Mana with a cleric and a corpse gives a soul boost, but you'll have to ask the big guys about how big a boost you get.

For the weapons, a few months ago in Plat I was buying and appraising pike weapons for another character that wanted to run tests with them. The khuj was one of the better weapons, IMO.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy