Armor Training 12/16/2009 01:38 PM CST
Hi,

I'm curious -- what is the value in continuing to train armor skills after you have capped the hindrance reduction?

Does it make a difference if your armor skill is less than your evasion / parry / shield skills, even if the appraised hindrance is capped at insignificant?
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 01:45 PM CST
The armor protects better (or will protect better after the combat rewrite goes live) with more ranks.

Also, tdps. : /

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 02:01 PM CST
re: tdps -- obviously.

Let me rephrase:

I currently am training 5 armors. (leather, LC, HC, LP, HP). Due to my setup, I have HP on as my helm, so it is training slightly slower than parry/evasion. My question is really --
When I swap to using full HP (for CvC, for example) will I be in trouble because my HP is slightly under parry/eva, even though it's capped out hindrance protection.

The answer seems to be only after the re-write where the quality of the armor will improve with ranks. Right? That's not much of an issue for me I think, since they're all staying roughly on the same tier.
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 02:04 PM CST
I believe theoretically it keeps improving under the current system just at a very useless rate, and hindrance of course caps out very low.

In the new system I believe it was said that if armor is < Evasion your evasion will suffer.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 02:25 PM CST
<<In the new system I believe it was said that if armor is < Evasion your evasion will suffer.

For all combatants, or just Paladins?
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 02:30 PM CST
It's for everyone. Armor will count as a modifier toward your evasion. If you have 1000 evasion and only 200 armor, you get penalized down to 200 evasion ranks.

I'm sure my math is messed up, but that's the gist of it.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 02:35 PM CST
Yeah I'm sure it won't simply me "reduce evasion to armor" but that's the general idea - to get full use out of evasion you need sufficient armor skill (Or no armor!)

Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 02:55 PM CST
Thanks.
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 03:00 PM CST
>>It's for everyone. Armor will count as a modifier toward your evasion. If you have 1000 evasion and only 200 armor, you get penalized down to 200 evasion ranks.

This:
>>I'm sure my math is messed up, but that's the gist of it.

All other things being equal:

1000 evasion and 200 armor will be better than 200 evasion and 200 armor. But 1000 evasion and 1000 armor will be better than both.

IOW gaining ranks in evasion will ALWAYS be better than not gaining ranks in evasion. But gaining armor ranks will likely be better on a time investment POV if they are far below your evasion ranks.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Armor Training 12/16/2009 03:02 PM CST
>>IOW gaining ranks in evasion will ALWAYS be better than not gaining ranks in evasion. But gaining armor ranks will likely be better on a time investment POV if they are far below your evasion ranks.

This is how it should be. We'll see if that's how it ends up, I've seen too many math formulas in DR break down to assume that will be the case before the system is released.

Re: Armor Training 12/17/2009 07:28 PM CST
Why "should" evasion be the king of defenses? People take this for granted, but it doesn't make sense. If I'm trying to block with a shield, I don't try to evade at the same time. I stay put and move my shield into the path of the weapon/projectile. Likewise if I'm trying to parry. DR should check against your primary (i.e. highest percentage) defense first, instead of always checking first against evasion. This is probably my biggest complaint about DR combat mechanics. (Admittedly, I'm a new player.)
Re: Armor Training 12/17/2009 07:31 PM CST
At what ranks does HP hindrance go away? For that matter, when can I expect to see my first hindrance reduction? Thanks.
Re: Armor Training 12/17/2009 08:39 PM CST
- Evasion will no longer be the king defense. Within a couple of months defense will be rewritten.

- The armor hinderance penalty is a range. You work it off with each rank. With the new defense system, armor hinderance will never go away altogether, but it will determine how much of your evasion you are able to use without end.

-Mr. Glemm