Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 07:34 AM CDT
A friend of mine rolled a new paladin and started training hiding in combat... poaching, ambushing and that sort of thing. There was someone else in the room to help with any periods of slow spawn. Now their soul is BLACK and no amount of tithing or pilgrim's badge kissing or whatever will fix it. They've been locked out of the guild because of their soul. Is there anything that can be done to get back in the guild's good graces? It's been over 12 hours now and no improvement and they're about to reroll into a necromancer. Thoughts? Solutions? Thanks.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 07:48 AM CDT
I've got no insight here, other than keep hammering. Tithe, pray, tend, get chadatru favors, have a cleric read the book in Tamsine's close or whatever it is just south of the ferry? I think you can also play devotionals, like a cleric?

I don't know if soul pool has a bottom cap?

Has he assisted and asked someone to check and make sure he didn't break something? I've done similar. Soul and devotion are finicky things in-game, when I tanked my devotion on the cleric by communing on a necro it took me a week to rebuild it.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 07:49 AM CDT
Sorry for the double post: I think hiding only triggers the soul hit when you attack from hiding, right?

So he could hide, wait for the RT to end, unhide, to train hiding (note you have to wait for the rt to end to get the most experience, unhiding before that timer expires gives you a fraction of the exp reward).

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 07:51 AM CDT
I forget how long the cooldown on tithing is. If he's really that sullied, I doubt it's something that can be fixed in a day. Someone with more experience than me should comment, though.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 07:53 AM CDT
>>A friend of mine rolled a new paladin and started training hiding in combat... poaching, ambushing and that sort of thing. There was someone else in the room to help with any periods of slow spawn. Now their soul is BLACK and no amount of tithing or pilgrim's badge kissing or whatever will fix it. They've been locked out of the guild because of their soul. Is there anything that can be done to get back in the guild's good graces? It's been over 12 hours now and no improvement and they're about to reroll into a necromancer. Thoughts? Solutions? Thanks.

So, good news, its fixable. Bad news - he'll be at it a while.

The short of this is, hiding is not really the way to go for Paladins. Is it trainable? Yes, you can >hide in PvE as much as you like. However, Advancing/retreating in stealth, poaching, ambushing, or pvp hiding/priors all smack the soul right in its happy place. This is why many many paladins don't even bother to train it at all.

On the subject of soul fixes - Tithe, Tend, Badge, Pray Chadatru in a holy weapon recharge spot and murder many much undead. Thats his best bet. Or if small enough reroll, but if he's going to play a paladin he should get used to glorious self punishment now and just fix it the fun way.

Good luck,

Samsaren
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 07:54 AM CDT
>>It's been over 12 hours now and no improvement and they're about to reroll into a necromancer.

Am I the only one who things that's a hilarious solution on numerous levels?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 08:00 AM CDT
LOL Raesh. I thought the same thing... Hmmm... soul is black, might as well join the guild full of black souls. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll pass them along.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 08:03 AM CDT
I had a chuckle myself Raesh. Especially as I've got most guilds to a decent circle and my highest guys are Paladin, Necro, and Bard (though thief is catching up fast), and find the Necro lore/messaging/playstyle to be an absolute hoot. Sometimes I am tempted to swap full time but I've got far and away too much invested in the Paladin anymore.

Samsaren
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 08:03 AM CDT
>>but if he's going to play a paladin he should get used to glorious self punishment now and just fix it the fun way.<<

Samsaren, does this mean getting killed to reset the soul thing? Will dying and getting rezzed reset it? Or do they need to use up a favor? Or is this even possible? Thanks again.

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 08:07 AM CDT
I admit I did snicker a bit at the implicatation of joining the necromancers over a 12 hour break in play.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 08:38 AM CDT
Nope, just means he's gonna be working at it for a few days. If he's really new, just go hunt zombie goblins and various wee undead for training and it'll slowly fix itself. Between drift (soul drifts towards neutral) and the random boost for murdering undead face it WILL fix itself. Death doesn't effect soulstate at all.

Samsaren
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 09:08 AM CDT
Yeah, the stealth soul hit is definitely not fun. Steps of Vuan during invasions is a good way to go black quickly if a moon mage in your group decides to cast it while you're fighting.

>Sometimes I am tempted to swap full time but I've got far and away too much invested in the Paladin anymore.

I get it. A lot of times I miss playing my necromancer. I switched over to paladin full time because of the social aspect. The necro storyline, abilities and play style are awesome but you pretty much can't be involved in anything with non-necromancers.

>Improving Soul State

The elanthipedia soul system page is good to have handy in times of Soul crysis. https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Soul_System

The easiest is indeed hunting undead, though; it doesn't require much effort. The epedia beastiary is still a good guide even though skill ranges are different now. https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beastiary_Level_List
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 10:34 AM CDT
If he's below 5th circle, just reroll anyway. It'll take you a few hours to get back the ranks, vs. a few days to fix the soul issue. It's kinda dumb and counter intuitive, but anything under 10th circle or so, it's often vastly faster to just reroll and make a quick run back to wherever you were.

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 03:45 PM CDT
If your friend is frustrated by a few measly hours, whatever you do, don't let him reroll into a necromancer.

Also, isn't there ingame messaging when you're doing things wrong as a paladin? If he ignored all that his life as a necromancer is going to be hell.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 06:14 PM CDT
The stealth soul hit has always been kind of silly IMO.

I have always wanted to train stealth and did for a while but the setbacks of the soul hit make it not desirable.

Could always get it taught though.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 08:06 PM CDT
<<I have always wanted to train stealth and did for a while but the setbacks of the soul hit make it not desirable.>>

I disagree wholeheartedly. The stealth soul hit is due to advancing while hidden or attacking while hidden. I can hide with no problems (and train stealth) as long as I don't advance. It doesn't seem very Paladiny to hide, advance, and attack.

--Just a Squire
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 08:29 PM CDT
Thanks for all the replies. He was a baby paladin and just simply rerolled. I think he'll be staying away from stealths at this point... heh.

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 09:49 PM CDT
<<It doesn't seem very Paladiny to hide, advance, and attack.>>

Whats the point of stealth if you just hide and unhide? There is a whole system based around stealth and it seems a bit redundant to be restricted based on some arbitrary decision.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 10:24 PM CDT
<Whats the point of stealth if you just hide and unhide?

My favorite uses of stealth are not combat related. First and foremost, hiding from other players. The other non-combat uses of stealth (like shoplifting) don't really apply to paladins currently. I feel like stealth could use some expanding in directions beyond sneak attacks.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 10:52 PM CDT
<<Whats the point of stealth if you just hide and unhide? There is a whole system based around stealth and it seems a bit redundant to be restricted based on some arbitrary decision.>>

Most guilds have some system they are restricted from, I don't understand your point. Not to mention, Paladins are not restricted from it. They just can't use all aspects of it.

Sneak attacks, backstabbing, etc. are not really in the current (or past) definition of what a Paladin is or what s/he stands for. If that changes in the future, then so be.

--Just a Squire
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/25/2014 11:04 PM CDT
My point is what I stated. It seems redundant to limit a Paladin to only hiding/unhiding when there is no other guild that has such limitations.

Also to add it doesn't just taint the soul it also limits circling to boot.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 01:15 AM CDT

Lots of guilds are limited in various ways but the stealth this is pretty serious and its logic is right down there with SPIT.

Is stealth paladin-ey? I'm torn. See, paladins can be guardians and religious without being lawful:

Stealth:

Knight Templar: No

Soldier Taking Point: No

Righteous Vigilante: Yes [Anti-criminal RP, Inquisitors, Ect...]

Shadow Bodyguard: Yes [Many nobles in history had paladin-like bodyguards like this that hid from sight]

Yet I could see a paladin roleplayed well in each case. I would say it should mandatory for a player to roleplay a paladin that reflects on the meaning of 'honor' at some point but the meaning he/she ends up going with doesn't have to be standard or bright and shiny.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 05:14 AM CDT
<honor

Yeah ... reflection on honor is important. The conclusion I came to is that honor is something that is given to a person by others. If it has anything to do with morality or a code of conduct, it is only tangential. Save the village? Most likely the villagers will honor you however makes sense to them. The idea that attacking from hiding is somehow intrinsically dishonorable has always seemed a little weird to me. The only things that are dishonorable are things that earn you the ire of people.

Someone bakes me cookies? They have honored me. Someone spits in my burger? They have dishonored me. Likewise, by doing those things to people myself, I can honor/dishonor them.

Long story short - WE WANT STEALTH (as an option!) :D

And also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnUEDaeoF0Q
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 07:56 AM CDT
Never really tried to train stealth seriously... but can't you just train it and take care of your soul? Do you HAVE to do the things that cause the soul hits?

I think we get the hits is because whatever gave us the spark and makes the rules wants us to act out in the open for all to see as an example. Just a theory.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 09:35 AM CDT
>Never really tried to train stealth seriously... but can't you just train it and take care of your soul? Do you HAVE to do the things that cause the soul hits?

You can, but it's going to be tricky. Since you get a hit for engaging or disengaging while hidden, and for attacking while hidden, you'd literally have to make sure you're at melee, then hide and unhide. That's about it, and that's a bit beyond most scripts.

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 01:37 PM CDT
I could make the argument that some guilds shouldn't be able to be stealthy as well.

I am of the opinion that it should be open just like the option is open for other guilds which you could argue shouldn't be stealthy.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 02:13 PM CDT
I think the point was more that each guild has restrictions they function under. The Paladinic code is more restrictive than most, but it's also one of the oldest and least updated.

Armifer has said he's thinking of ways to change it.

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 02:33 PM CDT
<<I am of the opinion that it should be open just like the option is open for other guilds which you could argue shouldn't be stealthy.>>

If you don't like the fact that Paladins cannot ambush or poach, then perhaps you should join another guild. It would be an easier solution since the majority of Paladins don't seem to have a problem with this limitation.

--Just a Squire
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 02:38 PM CDT
<<The Paladinic code is more restrictive than most, but it's also one of the oldest and least updated.

Agreed, which is why I am not advocating the status quo.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 02:44 PM CDT
<<If you don't like the fact that Paladins cannot ambush or poach, then perhaps you should join another guild.

Majority of Paladins? There are very few of us already. I am content as a Paladin, however, in the 13 years I have played my Paladin I have seen very few changes with Paladins in general and I would LOVE to see some updates.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 03:10 PM CDT
There are parts of the code I find silly, parts of the code that make sense.

While there are exceptions, my default metric boils down to "Is this just for PvP? Well, that's kinda silly."

First strike? Silly: paladins strike first all the time in PvE. Killing? Silly: paladins kill all the time in PvE.

Meanwhile, stealth is consistent. I see nothing wrong with that, plus you can still learn the skill. It's applying it in certain context that's bad. Meanwhile, I find not being able to learn thievery at all rather silly. I'd rather see that tied to stealing itself.

Etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 03:47 PM CDT
Sadly, I find myself completely agreeing with Tev on that post...sigh

--Just a Squire
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 03:57 PM CDT
>>Sadly, I find myself completely agreeing with Tev on that post...sigh

Agreeing with Tev is always a hit to morale.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 05:44 PM CDT
<Sadly, I find myself completely agreeing with Tev on that post...sigh

I don't think I do. At least not entirely. What I would like to see is some lore that explains the hits. Would make them easier to understand and accept.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 05:49 PM CDT
>>What I would like to see is some lore that explains the hits.

Keep in mind that, when it comes to Necromancy being bad in the eyes of the Immortals, it's "Because I said so"

So I don't know if Paladins would get a more robust explanation from their betters.

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/26/2014 10:07 PM CDT
>>Agreeing with Tev is always a hit to morale.

So true
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/27/2014 07:55 AM CDT
<Keep in mind that, when it comes to Necromancy being bad in the eyes of the Immortals, it's "Because I said so"

Nope. Heard a very good explanation from a Cleric that I don't think he created out of thin air. Wish I could remember it off the top of my head.

~~~
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/27/2014 08:16 AM CDT
>><Keep in mind that, when it comes to Necromancy being bad in the eyes of the Immortals, it's "Because I said so"
>>Nope. Heard a very good explanation from a Cleric that I don't think he created out of thin air. Wish I could remember it off the top of my head.

Yep - ALL sorcery is bad, Necromancy just really gets the Immortals Dander up.

Samsaren

Re: Hiding and your soul 06/27/2014 08:58 AM CDT
All sorcery is darkly irrational, destructive and volatile. It also has intense cultural baggage attached to it.

Necromancy is specific in not only having cultural baggage attached (and boy does it!), but being anathema to the gods.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Hiding and your soul 06/27/2014 09:01 AM CDT
>>Nope. Heard a very good explanation from a Cleric that I don't think he created out of thin air. Wish I could remember it off the top of my head.

>>Yep - ALL sorcery is bad, Necromancy just really gets the Immortals Dander up.

Just to clarify.

1) Sorcery is bad because it does things that we see as dangerous. It's DR's equivalent of fracking, or burning forests down to make new land for farming, etc.
2) Necromancy, a subset of Sorcery, is bad because the Immortals say so.