Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 01:48 AM CST
xxxx startles you as him leaps from hiding, slashing at your ankle!
The slashing cut is thankfully deflected by your armor!
>face xxxx
You are already facing xxxx.
>smite xxxx
You chant a brief litany and draw back with a divinely inspired strike!
< You slice a bastard sword at xxxx. xxxx barely blocks with a crocodile-skin buckler. The sword lands an apocalyptic strike (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that rips through muscle and organs, cutting the foe cleanly in half.
[You're slightly off balance with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
>

As xxxx slumps unconscious, you back off. The challenge is satisfied!
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 02:08 AM CST
Yeah, the ambush slash contest is heavily dependent on armor. I couldn't defend against it even when I completely outclassed the thief if I had no leg armor on. On the flip side, plate armor makes it very difficult for my thief to land any hits at all, even when he outclasses his opponent.
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 02:19 AM CST
>On the flip side, plate armor makes it very difficult for my thief to land any hits at all, even when he outclasses his opponent.

I like abilities designed around this concept. More brains, less numbers being the end all be all.
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 05:57 AM CST
<<xxxx startles you as him leaps from hiding, slashing at your ankle!

That's cute.
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 07:07 AM CST
>>I like abilities designed around this concept. More brains, less numbers being the end all be all.

I agree overall, though for ambush slash in particular I'd like the numbers to matter a little bit more.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 07:09 AM CST
<<I agree overall, though for ambush slash in particular I'd like the numbers to matter a little bit more.

Just backstab next time.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 07:32 AM CST
>>Just backstab next time.

That wasn't me from the combat log; I haven't played a Thief in years. I was more referring to the fact that little scrub Thieves who I can easily spot in hiding and who haven't a chance at getting past my evasion or shield can slash me because my Barbarian happens to wear leather as his primary armor.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 08:31 AM CST
Sorry, wasn't implying it was you. Just general anger at the backstab defenses and the bonuses for backstab. And, understand what you are saying.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 09:20 AM CST
Backstab is the thief guild's version of lightning bolt. A cheap, overpowered, one hit kill.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 09:46 AM CST
Lightning bolt is very survivable now... there are defenses and preparations that can... if not stop us from being critically injured and stunned... at least keep us from dying outright in the first cast.

With backstab... manifest force, anti-stun, courage divine armor and protect self are our best chance at survival.... good luck prepping and casting these before they leap to melee from hiding and stab though. If you are lucky enough to only be stunned from the stab... protect yourself and then smite them... or if you are real good at brawling grapple them. That's always fun to have a Thief who just tried to kill you and failed in your clutches for you to slap around for their insolence.

Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 09:57 AM CST
>>Backstab is the thief guild's version of lightning bolt. A cheap, overpowered, one hit kill.

I'm not sure I'd say LB is still overpowered but backstab is a lot worse the higher you get.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 12:05 PM CST
Serious question...
Was stabbing ever pulled under that global cap effort a while back? Or is it's strength simply derived from the target's defense being nerfed into oblivion from failing the perception check?

Let Lyras win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaOeAxy0GU
Re: Armor was actually usefful for once... 02/03/2010 01:01 PM CST
Pretty sure backstab is still breaking global caps.

It's already on the chopping block so I don't see a reason to keep harping about it, tbh.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)